Reviews

• Aug 31, 2021

Too old for the Rankin Bass movies? Dissatisfied with "It's A Wonderful Life"? (I was.) Other Christmas movies either too juvenile, or unsuited for the family? Well, even though Bob Hope was in a lot of bad movies, this is not one of them. It's based on a Damon Runyon story about a man who distracts a mobster's girlfriend, causing her to lose a $10,000 racetrack bet. The mobster learns of this and threatens the man to get him his money back by Christmas, or face his brutality (which is strongly hinted at). The man tries to ring a bell to collect money to rescue himself, but falls afoul of the law for not having a charity license. Not taking chances the next time, he arranges for a mobster's closed-up gambling joint to be secretly opened, the money ostensibly going to charity. Complications set in when a different mobster gets wind of it and wants the funds for himself. The the man is really in a bind. What to do? Trivia: This was the movie where the Christmas song "Silver Bells" was first performed. Ironic that the film has fallen into obscurity.

• Dec 25, 2020

My favorite Christmas movie. Bob Hope in his prime!

My favorite Christmas movie. Bob Hope in his prime!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Feb 24, 2020

Who's Damon Runyon? Another hack is all, especially compared to the giant of cinema that is Bob Hope, who takes this popular Runyon tale and steals it to make it his own (not that any writer fared differently in Hope's hands). Fans of Guys and Dolls will hear little of the witty destruction of the English language that so endeared Runyon fans, replaced with more of the same standard Hope patter instead. It's not a terrible picture for that "requisition", but it's nothing special either ultimately, light entertainment at best description, which is considerably less than what it could of been.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Silver Bells!

• Dec 13, 2018

A great classic, my father loves it.

A great classic, my father loves it.

• Jan 08, 2014

The Lemon Drop Kid is a decent film. It is about the Lemon Drop Kid who accidentally steers Moose Moran's girl away from a winning bet, and he is forced to come up with $10,000 to repay the angry gangster. Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell give good performances. The screenplay is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Sidney Lanfield did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor.

• Dec 25, 2013

Bob Hope is in debt to the mob and must come up with what he owes by Christmas. The Damon Runyon story is a good set-up for Hope's snappy humor if you enjoy his comedy. Marilyn Maxwell plays his girlfriend and William Frawley is also hilarious in a bit part. Also of note, the under appreciated Frank Tashlin did uncredited direction on the film and this film was also where the song "Silver Bells" was first performed.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Dec 22, 2013

Hope does his same old routine but thanks to a sweet backstory and the wonderful holiday tune Silver Bells running through the film, including a charming production number of it, this is one of his better films.

• Dec 19, 2013

This classic Bob Hope movie is one I watched growing up and I love to this day. It's not quite your typical Christmas movie you see today with supernatural elements but about overcoming stupid decisions. The Lemon Drop kid is a con artist who made a very bad decision and in order to get out of the entanglement he comes up with one the worst scams imaginable. During the events of the movie he starts to develop a change of heart but soon becomes caught between a rock and a hard place. I love the music in the movie, the version of Silver Bells is one of my favorites. The comedy is just as funny with repeated viewings and the ending is just as heart melting. This really is one of my favorite Holidays movies and is a fun time. If you're in the mood for a Bop Hope comedy with Holiday spirit you can't go wrong with this one. Verdict: Recommended

• Dec 15, 2013

Okay so this film can be considered Christmas because it features Silver Bells, but it certainly does not scale the heights of a White Christmas. Still Hope is up to his conning and Marilyn Maxwell plays opposite him. The story is flimsy and it is slow at times but if you are craving Hope or something with Christmas you might like it.