Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Reviews

April 3, 2016
One of the most underestimated movies of the year, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events subverts the nasty and horrifying themes of the books into something far more comedic, combining a well-rounded screenplay and good acting
½ April 1, 2016
Powerful, reminding, theatrical, and brit-ish
March 29, 2016
The movie is dark in some aspects, but that is what makes it shine.
February 24, 2016
A successfully dark family film proving that fairytales don't have have such a joyful ending. In addition to the story's unique and creative plot thanks to Lemony Snicket, the film is true to its wonderful source material. Another Rob Gordon masterpiece.
½ February 21, 2016
I was really, really hoping I would enjoy this film. Being a BIG fan of Lemony Snicket's series, I was really happy to be watching this movie. This movie probably ruined how I think of the book now. It seems like they were in a hurry to get this done more than anything, and the acting was really, really akward. I feel as if they put each book in a different movie it would pan out better, instead of three in one. The only part I can say I enjoyed was at the Wide Window, where Klaus solves the code from Aunt Josephine.
If you are a big fan of the book series, I highly do NOT reccomend you watch this. It is true it's a disaster, but I feel like there could be a better film for these book series, and it's about time it was made.
February 16, 2016
It doesn't always succed in what it's trying to do, and it does present way darker than it actually is but it's reasonable entertainment, which Jim Carrey being so over the top it's delicious.
February 5, 2016
Was only based off the first few books, which kind of disappointed me. Would love a second and third movie. Also, a lot of key things from the book were changed. Jim Carey was amazing as Count Olaf though, and that is what I love most.
½ February 4, 2016
Sobrio entretenimento para toda la familia, con multiples guiņos al estilo literario de Charles Dickens. A destacar la fotografia de Emmanuel Lubezki.
February 4, 2016
Dragging, lackluster, & a bit overlong, this harmless, but uninspired adaption is best left to be watched by two types of audiences: kids & fans of the books.
½ February 3, 2016
A real classic! Jim Carry plays an amazing Count Olaf and really does justice for lemony Snickets character, the gothic style of this movie is a nice change of pace from what you see now a days . A true treat to watch.
jamrcla
January 29, 2016
Too weird and dark to be classed as a comedy film, Even though Jim Carrey does try his best, The film itself was ok, A little silly and won't appeal to everyone.
January 17, 2016
The director definitely got the aesthetic of the series, and Jim Carrey played a marvelous Olaf, but of course you can't tell the whole story in one film. That was my only issue, but it's a small one.
½ January 8, 2016
It certainly is not as creative and amazing as the books (the books offering a seemingly impossible balance of dark themes, witty humor, and a sense of wonder), but the movie is still entertaining and moderately successful in its own right, despite all the goofiness and the less than stellar child acting.
½ January 3, 2016
Jim Carrey doesn't believe in vaccinations. He and his movies are idiotic
December 25, 2015
Great movie but the books were better
½ December 23, 2015
A Series of Unfortunate Events benefits from beautiful set pieces, intricate costume design and gorgeous cinematography, but lacks in character development and plot. Ultimately, it's a must-see for everyone at least once.
December 19, 2015
I think this film is brilliantly made.

Any series of books of this kind must be hard to recreate but the film is beautifully made and Jim Carey plays it perfectly.
December 5, 2015
Wow, crazy, stylish, darkly funny, great imagery, symbolic, and of course Jim Carrey puts on a hell of a performance. I haven't read the books so I cannot comment on the writing. I would have enjoyed it more if there was less CGI and more dark gritty blood and guts, making it even more black comedy. Not bad though. 6.5/10
½ November 5, 2015
Even though it isn't the deepest or most emotionally resonating of movies and even though Jude Law's narrator is annoying whenever he cuts in, A Series Of Unfortunate Events is a delightfully lightweight of a movie that never promises more than it can keep. It is especially wonderful to watch Jim Carrey being unleashed and having the time of his life.