L'Enfer d'Henri-Georges Clouzot (Henri-George Clouzot's Inferno) Reviews

John B Super Reviewer
    May 22, 2013

I'm surprised that there is an audience that appreciated this film. Upon finding a canister of an unfinished film. the film maker probably would have been better off just showing us what was within. Instead we have a meandering mess of images that confuses Clouzot's original intentions.

• May 04, 2012

Bromberg semble avoir conçu son film comme le tournage du film de Clouzot. Un tournage infernal pour l'un, un enfer à monter pour l'autre. Un tournage infernal pour les acteurs, un Enfer pour les yeux des spectateurs. Les illusions d'optique nous font perdre le sens des realites et finissent par nous rendre fous nous aussi. Passionnant et angoissant documentaire sur un film inacheve.

• Wu C Super Reviewer
    Jan 29, 2012

Intriguing doc about the legendary H.G Clouzot's unfinished film 'L'Enfer'. It has rare footage of dailies, cam/makeup tests and interviews with cast/crew.

• Jun 03, 2011

Finally a movie/documentary that surprises me by its quality and originality. Astonishing! This is the kind of film I'd been searching for: kind of noir, bizarre, stylish, sexy, psychological... With all the essence of the "sixties" in Europe, reminding me of Hitchcock and Raul Ruiz, has a touch of nouvelle vague, op-art, electro-acoustic music, mixed with elements from the English film scene. Totally loved it.

• May 07, 2011

A fascinating and cautionary tale about director hubris.

A fascinating and cautionary tale about director hubris.

• Jan 26, 2011

such a good movie that really should be twinned with 'lost in la mancha' for any wanna be filmmaker

• Jan 24, 2011

Expertly realised documentary juxtaposing real images from a previously unseen film by the master Henri Georges Clouzot and starring the brilliant but under-rated and beautiful actress Romy Schneider. The experimentalism is quite something though the only criticism is the lack of dialogue from the film footage. Some great interviews and clips including the films' daringly surreal hallucinatory scenes.

• Jan 09, 2011

Este es un gran documental sobre una película destinada no ser sobresaliente. Es una muestra de porque las limitantes son necesarias para la gente que crea obras de cualquier tipo. Y es un testamento a una generación que experimentaba de una forma que ahora nos puede parecer.... silly.

• Dec 19, 2010

Spectacular doc that mixes the daily life and mental torture of a great artist, superimposing dimensions of his creative process. Inversely tragic and artistically inspirational, this doc provides rarely genuine insight into the cinematic depictions of psychic and emotional extremes and how they impact and emerge from personal life.

• Dec 11, 2010

You also wonder if he had Hitchcock's Vertigo in mind; and at a stretch, Spellbound. Fascinating stuff.