Leo the Last - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leo the Last Reviews

½ July 8, 2016
John Boorman's cult favorite has a lot to say but an odd way to say it in.
½ April 26, 2013
Boorman's weird and utterly bizarre artsy fable about British aristocracy and class struggle.
½ June 3, 2012
Surreal and absurdest satire seems to stir many themes that vexes director John Boorman, but they come to life with little success artistically and less so entertainingly. Issues of class infuse other movies in Boorman's filmography, ranging from The General to Zardoz, but here we see actual class warfare break out in a strange battle at a housing block that seems to consist mostly of Marcello Mastroianni standing around looking dumbfounded while both sides shout at each other. Echoing Zardoz, we see the rich isolating themselves from the poorer class and consumed with elaborate and eccentric activities that hold little meaning. Case in point is the pool sequence that plays far too long and visually is a mess with its never-ending underwater butt shots. Boorman has never been shy of using nudity (see Excalibur and Zardoz), but here its just bizarre and certainly not beautiful or even erotic. The only intriguing visual flair is during the film's early half where we see Mastroianni take a cue from Rear Window and spy on his slum neighbors. He eventually gets to know and love them from afar. He races to their rescue a few times even, slowly building a bond with them. This is the only aspect of the movie with any interest. The spying sequence are madcap telescope shots following people around the block and in the beginning one suspects Boorman might actually film the whole movie in this way. This experimental approach combined with odd voice overdubs that serve to add to a sense of Mastroianni's confusion only serve to alienate the viewer. The songs used in the film date it terribly and don't help that they are terrible, begging to be muted. It's hard to admit a gifted filmmaker the likes of Boorman could have gone so wrong, but this movie absolute trash and not worth watching under any circumstances.
½ January 6, 2012
John Boorman is one of my favourite directors. However, this early experimental film is a disaster in every way conceivable. Boring, pretentious, overacted, how he was able to raise money to make this is a mystery. I bought it out of curiosity, I wish I hadn't.
½ November 29, 2011
Ultimately patronizing but fascinating, and beautifully shot in muted tones. Leo's telescope stands in for the director's lens, his call to revolution the hope that a movie can change the world. It didn't, but keep trying.
½ May 28, 2010
The description of the dying bourgeoisie in the beginning of the film is interesting but a bit outdated. The film really gives its full potential once Leo intend to interfere in his neighbour's life. Boorman can then display his positive ambitions with his usual talent.