Leolo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leolo Reviews

April 14, 2016
At some time in our youth, many of us have soberly concluded that these large people in our house cannot be our parents. They are clumsy or brutal, lacking the divine spark we surely possess; and rather than being stolen by gypsies, we were left on their doorstep by some superior beings as a test of our ability to absorb pain and indignity. Léo (Maxime Collin), 12, is nourished by this conviction as he watches his deranged Québecois brood mismanage their lives. He renames himself Léolo after determining that his mother had actually been impregnated by a Sicilian tomato. This is the first of Lauzon's extravagant fantasies and, like other, odder ones, it is cogently grounded in the solitude that can smother any child- anybody. Lurching from the everyday obscenities of Léo's home life to his rapturous dream life and back again, Léolo takes the elixir of Latin America's magical realism and spikes it with the tartest French-Canadian satire. Our young hero does survive a (hilarious) suicide attempt, but Lauzon, alas, did not live to make another film. He died in a plane crash at 43.
½ January 6, 2016
Si Téléfilm Canada et le système de subventions au pays ne passaient pas la majorité de nos scénarios dans le tordeur d'originalité et le moule canadien, on aurait droit plus souvent à des films audacieux et captivants comme Léolo!
½ April 18, 2015
One of the best films of Canadian films. Leolo is soaked in a dizzying visual and poetic journey through the thoughts of a child. Bizarre, unattached, free as the imagination of Leolo own. Unmissable.
½ February 2, 2015
Glimmers of something great, but most of it lacks effect.
January 3, 2015
When a relly comes-of-age coming of age story with missoriented of real and fantasy world plus lunatic family-neighborhood setting delivered, it's resulting something strange, disturbing, imaginative and beautiful, even with its sad ending.
October 16, 2014
The greatest Canadian motion picture ever made.
½ September 4, 2014
A well told tale about boy named Léolo and his very dysfunctional family. Cool music, well shot and a fine author voice. Some pretty disturbing scenes too without beeing too graphic. A daring, different, vulgar and obscene film, but also devastating at times. I don't know if it's trying to tell me something more than just the storry of Léolo. If so, I never got it.
It feels a bit flat at times, and I'm not left satisfied. Artsy, weird and sometimes great fun but mostly a let down for me.

5.5 out of 10 tomatoes.
April 30, 2014
When it's on TV I watch it, it's a masterpiece of the 7e art, a must see moovie!
October 5, 2013
Léolo is a movie made up of wild mood swings, huge leaps in logic, and a very loose vision of reality. But somehow it never collapses under the weight of its ideas, and it is a masterpiece. The filmmaking is breathtakingly beautiful, and the movie is funny, tragic and very human. I had never heard of this movie until I saw it on Ebert's list (it is also on Time's Top 100), and I am very grateful that Roger introduced me to it.
August 11, 2013
An imaginative, precocious 12 year old boy grows up in a highly dysfunctional, crazy family. He theorizes he must have been conceived by a tomato contaminated by sperm ejaculated by an Italian farmer. And that's just the beginning. This began a bit rough for me. The tone is all over the place. The scatological humor isn't very funny and the film's too broad and quirky to be taken seriously. But eventually it found its footing and won me over. It's a very nice, sweet film for people who will not be offended by scenes involving a sex with liver and cat rape.
June 25, 2013
This might be the greatest Canadian film ever made. It's a dark and fascinating coming-of-age drama about a young boy who feels that his family are all nuts. (A bit of an allegory on how Lauzon felt about his fellow Canadian filmmakers). The film manages to balance some incredibly twisted sequences with very touching moments that are truthful and hilarious. It's shot exquisitely and the soundtrack is genius. Sadly, Lauzon died in a plane crash after this film. He was quickly becoming one of the defining auteurs of Canadian cinema. All of which harks back to Jean Vigo.
June 25, 2013
The movie has not even a minute without the omniscient narrator, which makes me tired
deeply. The story is good, but not worth the suffering.
May 5, 2013
A stomach-crunching story of a kid and his lumpen-disfunctional family.Not for weak stomachs.
April 8, 2013
Brilliant, beautiful, wistful black comedy--Unique storytelling; A Devastating masterpiece!!
February 27, 2013
Una gran pelicula muy recomendable....
July 25, 2012
"Because I dream, I am not..."
Triste, sincero e marcante.
June 30, 2012
Another foreign film i fell in love with.I have 2 admit this is one F'd up movie.
½ June 6, 2012
Seen 2 times.

Parce que moi je rêve. Parce que moi, je ne le suis pas.

Difficile d'assimiler Léolo aux autres produits issus du marché cinématographique québécois tant ce dernier se distingue si aisément de tous les autres. Littéralement parlant, c'est de la haute voltige, du talent à l'état pur, du jamais vu sur la scène québécoise. Entièrement basé sur une forme narrative, sur une poésie lyrique qui, ma foi, coupe brillament le souffle tout en évitant d'être trop hermétique, Léolo a le mérite de s'adapter parfaitement à la réalité québécoise des années 80 tout en étant le paradis des passions interdites de l'âme. Adapter la poésie à notre train-train quotidien, c'est un peu comme un bon film d'Alexandre Despaties; ça relève de l'impossible. Et pourtant, Lauzon l'a réussi à merveille, lui.

Si la majorité des films québécois ont le mérite de redessiner à la perfection l'époque dans laquelle ils se situent, ils se contentent beaucoup trop souvent d'enfiler un nez de clown et de danser une gigue en espérant que le grand public s'en contentera. Il ne faudrait pas se cacher que le cinéma québécois a fait d'énormes progrès depuis deux décennies, mais qu'encore là, aucun film n'est en mesure de s'approcher un tant soi peu de ce chef-d'oeuvre de Jean-Claude Lauzon. Repensons simplement à la cette finale tout simplement brutale, mais si apaisante à la fois, qui baptise cette comédie noire comme le plus grand film québécois de tous les temps...

Le drame familial de Léolo s'élève lui-même par son incongruité et se démarque, de loin, des autres drames familiaux revus maintes et maintes fois par le cinéma québécois. Possédant sa propre saveur internationale, Léolo se démarque véritablement des autres films de sa génération par une démarche artistique personnelle qui fait de lui un prodige de l'histoire québécoise.