Leolo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leolo Reviews

May 28, 2012
A Canadian classic... one my all time faves
½ May 21, 2012
A bizarre, compelling fantasy world of pre-pubescent emotions, revelations, and ambitions. Utterly fascinating and dreamlike.
April 30, 2012
"Because I dream, I am not."

Funny, sad, strange, different, even disturbing? That's how I felt while watching this masterpiece, but you'd have to see for yourself.

Leolo focuses on a young boy who doesn't really relate to his family, so he goes on his life in rather different, but interesting ways. Is what's happening fiction or reality?

This film never gets old every time I watch it.
April 19, 2012
doesnt seem interesting
½ March 12, 2012
Una película que ya es una leyenda.
January 16, 2012
A young boy is brought up in a poor Montreal housing development through an extremely dysfunctional family. He discovers that he was not born to his French father but an Italian man, for which he changes his name from Leo to Leolo. I assume that French-Canadian director Jean Claude Lauzon wanted to do a film through the eyes of young boy, like Ingmar Bergman did with "Fanny and Alexander" and people liked this movie. After a while, I found it repellent. Starts off haunting but degenerates into scenes of nauseation and utter stupidity, which include a psychotic grandfather that lives with the family after attempting to kill Leolo years before; the carcass of a dead dog floating in the river (assumingly the St. Lawrence); the abuse of a cat; and a family business of defecating, with the assistance of laxatives. Characters all around are unappealing and the result is unpleasant. Really nasty film goes from interesting character study to trashy, relentless footage. Note: we also get to see the grandfather naked, in which a mass of soap strategically covers a specific part of the body!
November 10, 2011
Holy Tomatoes !!! Jean Claude Lauzon takes us to to a surrealistic world that he crafted in him imagination. A smooth mix of reality and fantasy.. "Because I dream, I am not "
November 6, 2011
"Because I dream, I am not."

This film never gets old every time I watch it.
September 5, 2011
C'est beau dans tous les sens du terme.
divinetrash
½ August 17, 2011
For a movie where defecating and masturbation have a surprising amount of screen time, this is a very whimsical and funny story about a dysfunctional family just trying to make it out alive. The script does a very good job of showing the world through the eyes of a young boy, accurately capturing the desperate nature with which we try to make sense of the world.
June 28, 2011
J'ai bien aime cette film la.
½ June 6, 2011
hmmmm

i m not sure how to rate it...

it is for sure original but i cant say i enjoyed it...
lesleyanorton
½ May 14, 2011
Canadian boy comes of age in nutty family. A strange film, a bit like watching something by a sedated Jean-Pierre Jeunet, with a heartbreaking ending.

From RHADYNASCIMENTO's favourites list
April 3, 2011
I entirely loved the voice-over narrator's comments and poetry. This is insightful and terrifyingly real. As a movie, however, "Leolo" didn't strike the same chord for me. There was no difference to me between the reality and fantasy worlds. It all seemed slightly askew. Maybe I was simply put off by the fact that every single character in this movie, including Leo, was stark raving mad. That makes for an uncomfortable viewing experience to say the least. It is worth a watch as long as you prepare yourself in advance.
March 7, 2011
this prime example of french-canadian magical realism has a very different feel than the spanish. the imagination of this young boy is captured brilliantly in his writing (told mostly through reflective narrative). I miss seeing films like this, and am glad that such examples do exist outside of Europe. The whole premise (& existence) of the boy is comical, but the movie explores in detail familiar family struggles, particularly with their minds. How precious the mind is; to be always protected, guarded and fed with (healthy) imagination.curious that i stumbled upon this DVD just after booking next month's trip to Montreal! Vive Le Quebec (dare say I "libre")!
February 5, 2011
1992 I have had this DVD a while but did not watch; This is film by french Canadian director who died in plane crash in 1997. It is an usual film and really in many ways a visionary film. very unusual great story great music. In Canadian french with subtitles. The film tells the story of Leolo Lauzon (Maxime Collin), a young boy living in a Montreal tenement with his dysfunctional family. He uses his active fantasy life (and the book Lavalle des Aavales by Quebecois novelist Rejean Ducharme ) to escape the reality of his life. After deciding that his mother (Ginette Reno) was impregnated not by his father, but by an Italian tomato, he rechristens himself Leolo, and begins to have sexual fantasies about his neighbour Bianca (Giuditta del Vecchio). film was listed by time magazine as one of the 100 greatest films of all time and I agree. It is a film of fabulous storytelling. highest recommendation five stars. I just have never seen a film like it. (Maybe the French film Lost Children or The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover ) Ebert States: It is a work of genius - and the best kind of genius, too, which is deranged genius" Ebert continues : A film that stirs in the shadows of memory for everyone who has ever seen it, a film that cannot be classified and can hardly be explained, a film left orphaned by the early death of its director, Jean-Claude Lauzon, who died with his girlfriend while piloting his Cessna in northern Canada in 1997. One of the truly great original films I have seen in the last 30 years.
January 15, 2011
Um garoto tem o inusitado desejo de tornar siciliano e trocar de nome para fugir da vida miserável. Um pai obcecado com a saúde dos intestinos da família, um irmão cujos exercícios de musculação mal conseguem esconder seu medo das pessoas, duas irmãs que passam cada vez mais tempo em uma enfermaria psiquiátrica, e um avô, o responsável pelo fracasso genético da família. Léolo, o personagem principal, é cada vez mais afundado nessa insanidade. Mas através da liberdade e da imaginação, consegue viver uma vida dentro de si mesmo. Uma obra-prima poética e um dos filmes mais emblemáticos da década de 90.
December 14, 2010
I gave it 4 stars, because I know the film deserves at least that. However, I had a hard time extracting the true meaning from the film while watching (required much afterthought), because I was so disturbed and uncomfortable.
November 2, 2010
This is one fucked up movie. I hated it at first, but it's gradually grown on me. There are some extraordinary moments in it, and though I can't recommend "Leolo" lightly, it's a must see for a very particular kind of filmgoer.
October 13, 2010
One of my favourite movies ever!