Leonie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leonie Reviews

½ January 10, 2016
A movie with a beautiful pace and fine actors. I found my zen place for 100 minutes.
August 17, 2015
I really liked this tale of the strong woman, ahead of her time, who parented a great artist all on her own. It takes one independent spirit to nurture another, and the one she nurtured was an iconic figure in today's world of modern art. Without her encouragement, perhaps our world today would look very different.
Harlequin68
November 26, 2014
In 1901, Leonie Gilmour(Emily Mortimer) is a recent graduate of Bryn Mawr University where she made some friends for life and was patronized by any number of male professors. For her first job, she becomes an editor for Yone Noguchi(Shido Nakamura) who she not only helps with his poetry but also assists in getting him published. Soon after, they fall in love and have a child together. By 1905, Japan is at war with Russia, and testestorone calls Yone back to his native country. So, with few other options, Leonie decamps with her son for Pasadena and the waiting arms of her mother(Mary Kay Place).

Aided by a very good lead performance from Emily Mortimer, "Leonie" seeks to tell the story of a true life pioneer who battled the patriarchy on two separate continents. Ironically, this was as Japan was modernizing, leaving behind some of its feudal ways, but becoming just as entrenched in others. And at the same time, the movie counterintuitively tries to undermine Leonie by reinforcing her traditional role as a mother, in this case, of Isamu Noguchi, a noted sculptor and not just in a by the way sort of fashion, either.
April 2, 2013
Very touching movie about the life of a very strong and independent woman who's only weakness is the man she loves. I really enjoyed the acting, the costumes and the music. Overall, I give it 5 stars out of 5.
½ March 26, 2013
Shoot me now. I just sat through this film in the hopes that there would be some moment, some relationship that moved me. Alas, it is boredom right to the end.