The Leopard Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Leopard Man Reviews

April 24, 2016
Compelling beginning, then it falls flat. Always love the day of the dead.
½ April 3, 2016
Val Lewton's productions use minimal means to create scares out of shadows and The Leopard Man is no exception. A young girl walks alone to buy corn meal in the New Mexico night. The soundtrack is silent except for her footsteps and the wind rustling the trees. Suddenly tumbleweed rushes by out of nowhere. We are afraid for her because a dangerous leopard is on the loose after escaping from a nightclub publicity stunt gone wrong. The young girl does die and this event initiates a series of murders. But is the cat really the culprit? Although there are a number of suspects, under Jacques Tourneur's direction, this never really turns into a B-picture mystery where a detective sorts through the clues to build up to an announced solution but instead the film remains spookier and more existential. There is a heavy coldness here where the chilly fingers of death could be just around the next corner, stalking their prey and taking the soul away offscreen, leaving only remains.
June 26, 2015
150626: This short 1943 film actually has a couple of scary scenes. Other than those however, it lacks impact. My guess was right, was yours?
March 29, 2014
jacques tourneur and his passion for felines. first came "cat people" then we had "the leopard man", all constantly killing without mercy.
½ December 12, 2013
Enjoyable little thriller out of the Val Lewton set, though I wasn't as impressed with this one as I have been with other releases in the set.

Well worth a look for the historical significance, building tensions with unseen threats and that sort of thing, but it may not be very engaging for a modern audience.

I'd suggest knowing what you're getting into with this one, but I did bump it a half point with a subsequent viewing, so maybe it'll edge its way into my heart eventually.
November 9, 2013
What could happen to me?

A leopard escapes a local circus and is lost in the neighborhood. Shortly thereafter, numerous murders start occurring all over the city. Initially, everyone blames the leopard; however, as investigators look more into the crimes, it doesn't make sense that a leopard would kill so many people. Who could be behind the serial killings?

"Did you ever run into one of those when you went to the store for me? Then you won't now."

Jacques Tourneur, director of Cat People, Curse of the Demon, I Walked with a Zombie, Out of the Past, City in the Sea, and They All Come Out, delivers Leopard Man. The storyline for this picture was better than I anticipated. The dramatic and kill scenes were fairly intense and I loved the characters. The acting was excellent and the case includes Dennis O'Keefe, Margo, Jean Brooks, and Isabel Jewell.

"When you marry Champaign, you cannot trade it in for beer."

I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this holiday season because the plot sounded wonderful. I can tell you this was one of the better horror pictures I saw this holiday season. They do a good job of building up the victims so you feel vested in them before the murderer attacked. I felt that was very clever and smart way to draw the audience in. I do recommend seeing this underrated gem.

"I'm sick. Claw women, hurt little girls..."

Grade: B
½ November 2, 2013
It's not QUITE as great as "Cat People" but it's pretty damn close. A leopard gets loose in a Mexican-American town and starts killing women but something is unusual about it. The film is only a little over an hour long but I'm amazed by how dense and rich the story is. It managed to flesh out a whole lot of characters something that some films twice its length sometimes fail to do. Like "Cat People", director Jacques Tourneur tosses out gory special effects and just simply relies on sound effects, atmospheric cinematography and precise editing in order to illicit its scares. A short but excellent horror picture.
October 6, 2013
A great little gem from Val Lewton.
May 6, 2013
A decent Lewton outing.
½ January 24, 2013
Not one of Lewton-RKO's finest, but still solid.
November 12, 2012
another atmospheric suspense tale.
July 5, 2012
Stämningsfullt och färgstarkt om lustmord i de latinamerikanska kvarteren.
March 31, 2012
Not quite as good as Cat People. Interesting, but boring for the most part, I felt.
February 9, 2012
Probably my favorite Val Lewton horror film besides 'Cat People'...
½ February 9, 2012
Smart low-budget horror, but by the same token the 'Leopard' is hardly ever shown and the horror elements are too few and far between.
½ January 2, 2012
The Leopard Man is a more formulaic horror film than Cat People but it benefits from a straight-forward approach whilst maintaining much of the ambiguity that was present in Tourneur's previous features.
December 8, 2011
Cobbled together plot lacks cohesion and provides viewers with several isolated scenes of atmospheric of terror. It's a shame, because the opening sequence is masterful, but the plot gets bogged down by pointless meanderings, underdeveloped themes and characters, and a forced conclusion.
October 30, 2011
Boring horror movie, I've seen detergent leave a better film than this!