Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood Reviews

  • 2d ago

    They never should have gone back 2 the hood. The first time was barely sufferable, but this second offering had nothing to offer but poor acting and weak one-liners. 4.5/10

    They never should have gone back 2 the hood. The first time was barely sufferable, but this second offering had nothing to offer but poor acting and weak one-liners. 4.5/10

  • Mar 18, 2021

    Wow, they really made a sequel to Leprechaun in the hood. Because that's what everybody needed. Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

    Wow, they really made a sequel to Leprechaun in the hood. Because that's what everybody needed. Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

  • Feb 04, 2021

    Well...while In Space didn't work for me, I think Back 2 Tha Hood is actually worse than that movie. The return to the hood, which, I might add, isn't even a direct sequel, wasn't worth it. Gone is the self-aware tone and dope rapping of the last movie in favour of boring drama, the Leprechaun not getting enough screen time, lack of irony insisting that the horror aspect be played 80% straight while the other 20% turns our titular villain into a joke (the first scene he has when the proper narrative begins is him smoking a bong and in another scene, stops pursuing the heroes to try to flirt with a woman on the phone, who apparently doesn't have a thing for people with dwarfism) and unfunny jokes consisting primarily of a running gag that involves exchanging the N word with what I hope is a more politically correct euphemism - I'm getting cold feet just typing this - "ninja". If you were trying to turn that into a meme simply because Denzel Washington's utilisation of the N-word in Training Day became a meme, let's just say it fell flat on its face. The few good things it has going for it is that Warwick Davis is trying in his last time playing the role before becoming a father with a surprisingly stellar jobs in scenes where he has to act more sinister, an interesting character in the form of a witch/prophet/fortune-teller named Esmeralda who was criminally underutilised and an okay-looking animated prologue detailing the Leprechaun's backstory despite it not mattering since these movies all are implied to take place in different continuities, anyway. So yeah, Lionsgate's attempt to strike lightning in a bottle twice after the last movie had a better reception than usual failed miserably and I think it's the worst of the Warwick Davis-starring Leprechaun movies, ending his tenure with the series with a whimper with no chance of him reprising the role anytime soon, due to, as mentioned before, his becoming a family man.

    Well...while In Space didn't work for me, I think Back 2 Tha Hood is actually worse than that movie. The return to the hood, which, I might add, isn't even a direct sequel, wasn't worth it. Gone is the self-aware tone and dope rapping of the last movie in favour of boring drama, the Leprechaun not getting enough screen time, lack of irony insisting that the horror aspect be played 80% straight while the other 20% turns our titular villain into a joke (the first scene he has when the proper narrative begins is him smoking a bong and in another scene, stops pursuing the heroes to try to flirt with a woman on the phone, who apparently doesn't have a thing for people with dwarfism) and unfunny jokes consisting primarily of a running gag that involves exchanging the N word with what I hope is a more politically correct euphemism - I'm getting cold feet just typing this - "ninja". If you were trying to turn that into a meme simply because Denzel Washington's utilisation of the N-word in Training Day became a meme, let's just say it fell flat on its face. The few good things it has going for it is that Warwick Davis is trying in his last time playing the role before becoming a father with a surprisingly stellar jobs in scenes where he has to act more sinister, an interesting character in the form of a witch/prophet/fortune-teller named Esmeralda who was criminally underutilised and an okay-looking animated prologue detailing the Leprechaun's backstory despite it not mattering since these movies all are implied to take place in different continuities, anyway. So yeah, Lionsgate's attempt to strike lightning in a bottle twice after the last movie had a better reception than usual failed miserably and I think it's the worst of the Warwick Davis-starring Leprechaun movies, ending his tenure with the series with a whimper with no chance of him reprising the role anytime soon, due to, as mentioned before, his becoming a family man.

  • Gimly M Super Reviewer
    May 19, 2020

    A strong argument could be made that Back 2 tha Hood is the strongest entry in the Leprechaun franchise. Which is just an insane sentence to have to write. It certainly makes the most sense out of any of the movies. Now does it have any sort of applicable continuity to the movie that is its predecessor? Or indeed any of the Leprechaun movies? Just like every other one of these sequels, the answer to that question is a firm no. There is absolutely no way that even just any two of the Leprechaun movies could make for some sort of actual series of related events. But! Contained completely within itself, Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood actually does have a comprehensible throughline of plot, setting, lore, and characters, which is amazing. It's pretty embarrassing that the bar is that low, but there you are. Also features the most vicious and hands-on version of the Leprechaun we've seen to date, and that's not nothin'.

    A strong argument could be made that Back 2 tha Hood is the strongest entry in the Leprechaun franchise. Which is just an insane sentence to have to write. It certainly makes the most sense out of any of the movies. Now does it have any sort of applicable continuity to the movie that is its predecessor? Or indeed any of the Leprechaun movies? Just like every other one of these sequels, the answer to that question is a firm no. There is absolutely no way that even just any two of the Leprechaun movies could make for some sort of actual series of related events. But! Contained completely within itself, Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood actually does have a comprehensible throughline of plot, setting, lore, and characters, which is amazing. It's pretty embarrassing that the bar is that low, but there you are. Also features the most vicious and hands-on version of the Leprechaun we've seen to date, and that's not nothin'.

  • Mar 28, 2020

    Not as funny as the other movies. Not much to it. Only watch if your bored

    Not as funny as the other movies. Not much to it. Only watch if your bored

  • Mar 17, 2020

    With decent leads and leprechaun fashioned brutality, Leprechaun Back 2 tha Hood provides redemption for an only okay franchise

    With decent leads and leprechaun fashioned brutality, Leprechaun Back 2 tha Hood provides redemption for an only okay franchise

  • Mar 04, 2020

    This is more of what I wanted from the last installment. Its still not a good movie but I like the way it combines the leprechaun folk lore with the urban setting. The characters are also decently developed and so is their reasoning for taking the gold. In the end it's still basically the same movie we've seen countless times before at this point. But the small differences do make a difference. I do wish it would have been a bit more focused and not so messy but it's still pretty decent. 2.5/5

    This is more of what I wanted from the last installment. Its still not a good movie but I like the way it combines the leprechaun folk lore with the urban setting. The characters are also decently developed and so is their reasoning for taking the gold. In the end it's still basically the same movie we've seen countless times before at this point. But the small differences do make a difference. I do wish it would have been a bit more focused and not so messy but it's still pretty decent. 2.5/5

  • Feb 22, 2020

    Just like Leprechaun In The Hood this Film is Awsome

    Just like Leprechaun In The Hood this Film is Awsome

  • Aug 17, 2019

    Another surprisingly well-acted, yet shitty horror movie.

    Another surprisingly well-acted, yet shitty horror movie.

  • Jul 29, 2019

    Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood is successful in creating a new fun and entertaining streak in the franchise with some of best lines in the entire series and a very effective final performance from Warwick Davis as the leprechaun.

    Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood is successful in creating a new fun and entertaining streak in the franchise with some of best lines in the entire series and a very effective final performance from Warwick Davis as the leprechaun.