Les Misérables Reviews

• Feb 18, 2017

Stupendous and monumental three-part version of the Hugo classic. Raymond Bernard's camera is often skewed (Carol Reed's Third Man was clearly influenced) and lit like early film noir. Harry Baur is perfect as Valjean, huge and modest, and partnered superbly by Charles Vanel's Javert. All the supporting performances are fantastic - naturalistic and understated - and the entire enterprise is as involving and meticulous as the best of David Lean.

• Nov 02, 2016

Tremendous epic. Has its faults, but otherwise it's a mind grower. Loved it.

Tremendous epic. Has its faults, but otherwise it's a mind grower. Loved it.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Mar 28, 2013

"Les Miserables" starts with Jean Valjean(Henry Baur) being released from prison after 19 years of hard labor for stealing a loaf of bread, resisting arrest and four escape attempts. The catch is his yellow passport which means he has to check in with every locality he passes through and guarantees he will be shunned by every inn along the way. The exception is Monseigneur Myriel(Henry Krauss) who even forgives Valjean for his attempted theft, throwing in a couple of silver candlesticks in the bargain. In response, Valjean decides to turn his life around, becoming a civic leader and owner of a factory where Fantine(Florelle), a single mother, works. I have only previously seen the 1998 adaptation of Victor Hugo's classic novel, so I am not really an expert on the material. At the very least, this early French language version is different than I was expecting, not least because Baur actually looks like somebody who might have been in prison, not a Hollywood casting call. Some things are familiar, like the singing in this non-musical version. However, in making an epic movie, it takes the idea of sprawling storytelling too far, leaving its main character off the screen for long periods of time, and only giving sporadic glimpses of Inspector Javert(Charles Vanel), making me wonder what the big deal was all about in the first place. A spectacular running battle which takes up most of the third part is only symptomatic in general of scenes that go on too long. And as much history is here, there is just as much melodrama. Sadly, poverty and the suffering of those just released from prison are still very much endemic to society.

• Mar 09, 2013

Haven't seen Ann Hathaway cry her way to the Oscar yet, but I'm laying money on this as the definative version.

• Jan 26, 2013

That is my wish. A head stone. No name. In 19th century France the top is about to burst for the people and the revolution is about to occur. Les Mierables tells the tale of one convict who breaks parole to start a new life for his people. He ultimately adopts a young girl and tries raising her the best way he knows how; unfortunately, a dedicated police officer will stop at nothing to bring him in for breaking parole. "How do you know I'm not a murderer?" "That's the lord's concern." Raymond Bernard, director of Wooden Crosses, The Chess Player, Seventh Heaven, Fruits of Summer, Maya, Judgment of God, and The Cape of Hope, delivers Les Miserables. The storyline for this picture is very good and each character is delivered and developed perfectly. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes Harry Bauer, Charles Vanel, Paul Azais, and Charles Dullin. "You're free. Your shoulders earned that." Turner Classic Movies (TCM) aired the 1934, 1935, and 1956 versions of this film in honor of the recent released picture. I have seen this year's (2012) and 1935 version of this picture and would say this is my least favorite so far (and the 1935 version is my favorite). Overall, this version of the film has the best character development (and longest run time, 4 hours and 45 minutes) but was a bit too methodical and detailed. I loved the film but would rank it just a notch below this year's version. "So even monkeys catch colds." Grade: B+ (8.25)

• Dec 17, 2012

Fantastically faithful adaptation. (The above running time is incorrect; this version actually runs 4 hr. 42 min.)

• Dec 12, 2012

my least favourite version of this story-which maybe the most filmed story in screen history.

• Oct 10, 2012

One of the few true masterpieces to ever come out of the art of film-making. A vastly underrated gem that deserves far more attention.

• Jul 18, 2012

An absolutely BRILLIANT film. Words cannot describe it's power!

An absolutely BRILLIANT film. Words cannot describe it's power!

• Jul 16, 2011

Extraordinary, moving production. Vibrant and physical, with some stunning fight sequences.