Les soeurs fâchées Reviews

• Jun 01, 2015

Alexandra Leclère's wants to be a comedy about the strained tension between two very different sisters. It is interesting how it very quickly becomes an almost tragic study two women struggling for fulfillment. One of these women is filled with such rage that she does all she can to ignore the fact that the connection with this other woman is something far deeper than simply biological. The attempt almost fully works due to the talent of it's two leading ladies. But the filmmaker is either too uncomfortable to really tackle what this film is about or simply unwilling to do so. In the end, we are left with an often shockingly cruel and alternately "charming" dramedy that is far too dependent on both Huppert and Frot. But the film holds merit thanks to these intriguing actors.

• Nicki M Super Reviewer
    Apr 26, 2015

Honestly pretty dark for a comedy. Martine (Isabelle Huppert) has a seemingly perfect life. Married to a well off man, no need to work or worry about money, beautiful home, gorgeous clothing. On the surface, anyhow. A visit from her country sister, Louise brings long buried secrets out. We discover the girls had a poor upbringing and an alcoholic mother who was emotionally abusive. Martine is secretly petrified of ending up like her. Also, it seems her perfect marriage is actually rather abusive too, and her best friend is not all she appears to be either. The comedy is in the relationship of the very different personalities of the sisters. Paris through Louise's eyes is beautiful. Like life, this is a small portion and nothing really gets resolved aside from the love the sisters have for each other despite their differences. Well acted and subtle. I'm liked it a lot.

• Jan 02, 2014

A nice little comedy about two estranged sisters having a hard time to renew their bond afters years of separation. It's an honest little tv film.... nothing more.

• Aug 19, 2011

Ganska rapp historia om tvenne syskon som tagit sig an livet på olika sätt; hämmat respektive expressivt. Huppert och Frot är perfekta för rollerna! Att kalla den för komedi är något felaktigt om än sådana inslag gör sig gällande. Genomgående är det mer en tragisk berättelse om ett liv som egentligen aldrig börjat levas.

• Nov 13, 2010

frot is geweldig en huppert is goed maar de personages zijn te oppervlakkig om echt te intrigeren.

• Feb 12, 2010

The plot is simple but the rawness of the characters' emotions really stands out. Most people will see this as a comedy, although I am left with a heavy pang of sadness. It's a feeling that won't easily go away, much like how I felt after seeing/reading "Stone Angel," "Streetcar Named Desire," "Prime of Miss Jean Brodie," "Remains of the Day," "Great Expectations" and "Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side." (which, by the way, helped shape my career choices...) -- Seriously, what a sad life!

• Dec 28, 2009

ein großartiger film darüber, dass geld, prestige etc. solange nicht gluecklich machen kann, solange man nicht wirklich zu leben und zu lieben weiß und dass man die fehler, die an einem begangen wurden, an anderen wieder begeht, wenn man sie nicht wirklich als das sehen kann, was sie waren. wut und hass sind wichtig udn richtig, trauer aber das unumgehbare gefühl. was tun, wenn man was aus seinem leben machen will, aber die alten fesseln sich einfach nicht auflösen wollen.

• Jul 02, 2009

Very sweet :) I loved the characters! They're awesome. I really enjoyed it :)

Very sweet :) I loved the characters! They're awesome. I really enjoyed it :)

• Mar 26, 2009

Catherine Frot is superb as the carefree country sister to Isabelle Hupert's uptight and appearances-mean-all city dweller. A harsh movie at times to watch -- it certainly pulls no punches in the tenseness of the relationship, and Hupert's character is extremely unlikeable for a great deal of the film. Not your typical comedy, but plenty of laughs and a fascinating, if light, storyline.

• Feb 16, 2009

Mélange de sentiments forts et opposés qui montre une fois de plus que la gentillesse est mise à mal.