Let the Right One In - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Let the Right One In Reviews

October 21, 2017
For a vampire romance done the right way on film, "Let the Right One In" gives us more than bargained for. The minimalist direction gives us as much as a high-class dessert: small, but heavenly (or hellish, I suppose). It's layered with themes both clear and subtle, and brought to us by believable performances from the two young leads. As a result, we blend the line between realistic fiction and psychological thriller, bringing back the most popular horror icon into modern relevancy.
October 21, 2017
Best horror movie of all time. Gripping, poetic and dark.
½ October 4, 2017
I know that Let the Right One In is an extremely popular film, and my instant reaction after watching it was to wonder why. I?m not saying that the movie is bad or deeply flawed, it simply seemed run-of-the-mill and unoriginal. Is it the fact that this time the story of the vampire and human falling in love happens between pre-teens? Let the Right One In is a basic coming-of-age drama with a vampire thrown in. I can see this appealing to some viewers because those are genres that are both beloved, and mashing them together works surprisingly well. Perhaps I?m not the right audience since coming-of-age is not a style of movie I love, and horror I tend to actively hate.

The style of Let the Right One In is very quiet and slow, two words that don?t typically get me excited. I?m not usually all that fond of reading subtitles, but there is so little said in this movie that it didn?t become much of a problem. The thing is, I wasn?t sure what I was supposed to be feeling in these slow silent moments. Was there tension I was missing out on? It seemed pretty obvious what was going to happen at any given moment, so I never felt nervous for anyone, and I certainly never jumped in surprise. I mean the whole theme of the movie is that Eli is a friend, so we?re not supposed to be scared of her, at least I hope we weren?t intended to be scared because I wasn?t.

There are many parts of Let the Right One In that puzzled me. For instance, it stops in the middle of the movie to show Oskar playing games with his father, and they?re interrupted by some other guy. As soon as the scene ended I instantly thought ?Wait, what was the point of that?!?? There are other scenes that felt superfluous like this, and I couldn?t help wondering if I missed something. Also there were a few moments that made me laugh out loud and I don?t think they were intended to at all, but they looked so silly I couldn?t help it. Now it may come across as though I?m being hypercritical of Let the Right One In, as if I hated it, but that was not the case. It?s an OK movie, just nothing special.
July 23, 2017
With a great atmosphere and aesthetic to it this may well on the surface come across as just another vampire horror film but under the gory surface there is more to it. Not only does this film deal with the usual vampire issues but it also deals with love, family life, bullying and growing up. It also has a fantastic score/soundtrack, a mostly engrossing plot and a cast that enlivens the characters above the usual. It does however plod along in areas and the script could be stronger.
May 16, 2017
Una forma de explicar perfecta, sin mucho diálogo, todo paso a paso dejando que el espectador vaya descubriendo la película lentamente, un mensaje un guion, una ejecución perfecta.
April 30, 2017
Best horror flick I have seen in a long time.
April 17, 2017
I really want 2 C this one
April 7, 2017
A beautiful horror story of friendship
½ March 19, 2017
Clever, suspenseful, and surprising, "Let The Right One In" boasts an impressive story with great characters that keeps the viewer hooked
March 6, 2017
Such a good film. Not what I expected. Beyond sensitive and clever. Loved it.
February 28, 2017
Dark, somber and original, Let the Right One In is brilliant horror fairy tale that is both a compelling and satisfying watch. Vampire horror at it's best.
February 19, 2017
Normally I'm not one to enjoy vampire movies. However, the movie tells about a unique relationship between two children which I found very enjoyable due to how well it is developed over the course of the movie. The horror elements worked perfectly with the relationship as it showed how both of them have a dark side. Each scene was original and I would recommend this to romance movie lovers.
½ February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Set in 1982, this film follows Oskar (Hedebrant), an overlooked and bullied 12-year-old boy, who finds love and strength through Eli (Leandersson), the peculiar 12-year-old girl who has just moved in next door. Soon after Eli's arrival with her guardian, a series of murders and strange happenings begin to occur. Can it be that Eli isn't what she seems?
January 23, 2017
Great cinematography. Great film overall
January 21, 2017
Very very good. A must see for any horror fan
December 29, 2016
a very very good norwegian romance horror. it's definitely a right one to let into your horror colllection. would even go so far as to say it's 1 of the top 2 or 3 movies i've seen this year of any genre. certainly the best horror i've seen since orphan. my only complaint was the ending felt a little bit too simple but it's a very minor negative in what is an overall refreshingly exemplary non-lovey dovey take on the subject. SPOILER ALERT coz i gotta say it... it's the best vampire film since interview!
December 28, 2016
Normally I'm not one to enjoy vampire movies. However, the movie tells about a unique relationship between two children which I found very enjoyable. I found the horror elements worked perfectly with the relationship as it showed how both of them have a dark side. Each scene was original and was also helped by a good soundtrack. I would highly recomend this movie.
November 21, 2016
The best vampire movie ever made.
(But watch it with the subtitles, not the overdub.)
½ November 20, 2016
This is probably the best vampire movie ever but is also one of the best movies , period.
½ November 13, 2016
A horror with heart. Vampires have feelings too you know. This is actually a sweet story and it's done very nicely, not over baked. Somehow the blood and gore is almost a back story. A very classy horror, well made and convincing. Never thought I'd see a mature vampire film but yeah, here it is.