Let's Go to Prison - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Let's Go to Prison Reviews

September 17, 2016
1 star for the end credits scene
½ September 2, 2016
Not the best movie but it was more enjoyable then most of the comedies coming out now a days. It is a great way to kill an hour.
August 24, 2016
There's a few laughs here and I like the lead actors but the movie is nothing but cliched prison jokes. It's predictable and never finds the crazy edge it's looking for.
August 19, 2016
You know, I remember seeing a lot of this movie several times on TV. I almost always saw up to the point where Lynard, the white supremacist, stupidly kills himself. It was almost like Clerks, where I saw bits and pieces of the film, but I never saw the thing in its entirety in one sitting. Though the difference between Clerks and this one is that I actually wanted to see Clerks in its entirety. The only reason I saw this movie so much on TV was because I left the TV on in that channel, sort of as background noise. Like I was using the laptop and I'd leave the TV on on any channel so it wouldn't feel as quiet as it would without it. Now that I actually watched the whole thing, however, I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised. This movie wasn't as bad as I would've expected. Given the fact that I gave it 2 stars suggests that I still didn't think it was good, but it's definitely not as awful a movie as it might seem. Perhaps this is due to the fact that, ever since Arrested Development, I've been a major fan of Will Arnett. I think the guy is a tremendous comedic actor, but I don't feel that he's gotten the chance to prove it as much post-Arrested Development as Jason Bateman or Michael Cera have. And I think Arnett is entertaining here, no doubt about it, but I don't think it uses his talents as well as they should have. But he is a large part of the reason why the film gets a better rating than it would've without him. The film's concept is actually cool, like this guy, John, who's been "fucked over" by the same judge decides to take revenge on him by killing him. But when he finds that the judge has died, he sets his eyes on the judge's son. He frames the son for a crime he did not commit and he gets three to five in the state penitentiary. John then decides that best way to fuck with Nelson, the judge's, son is to get himself arrested and manipulate things the way he wants from the inside. That's about it for the concept as they end up relying on all the prison tropes you would expect. Nelson being, and acting, like a rich kid in a world where people like him are eaten up by the hardest criminals. Nelson's fear of being made someone's bitch to be ass-fucked every single day. Or Nelson's fear of being killed by any of the people who have their eyes set on him. Once everyone believes that Nelson killed Lynard, the head of a white supremacist group, he becomes like the top dog in the yard. It's all the basic stuff you've come to expect from this type of comedy movie. There are laughs, but I will say that they are sporadic. And that's where the problems lie, the fact that the comedy isn't great. It relied on old and tired gags. And I'm not saying every movie needs to be subversive, because if that becomes the norm then nothing is really, truly subversive, but it doesn't really feel like they made an effort. Chi McBride did a great job here and I like Dax Shepard as well, so the leads aren't a problem in the slightest. It's like they took the first draft of the script and went and filmed it without revising it. I'm sure they didn't have a lot of money to work with either, but it just feels like a movie that was filmed without any sort of refinement done to any of its technical aspects. Now that I think about it, this and The Brothers Solomon really did ruin Arnett's career as a legitimate comedy lead. Everything else I've seen him in has been supportive. And part of that is his fault, he did attach his name to both films and he's one of the leads in both films. Both films were also major flops at the box office and Hollywood takes that into consideration, regardless of the fact that two shitty movies say nothing about the act in them. Jason Bateman was in Teen Wolf Too, as they so creatively named the movie. I rest my case. I did like the reveal over how both Nelson and John came to agree to their plan to get out of prison. It was simple, but I liked it. I expected this review to be shorter since I wrote most of it on my phone, but it turned out ok, all things considering. Everything prior to 'I expected...' was written on the phone, everything after that was on the laptop. It's not exactly relevant to this, but just pointed it out. Either way, this was better than I expected. Still not what I would call a good movie anyway. Arnett and Shepard having some good chemistry isn't enough to overcome a lazy and tired sense of humor and, generally, unfunny material. It's on Netflix, so at least it didn't really hurt so much to watch it.
July 31, 2016
Typical Dax Shepard movie.. I feel like he plays the same type of character in most of his films. Still a good laugh.
March 31, 2016
A funny comedy at times, but it's uneven. I wouldn't watch it again. (First and only viewing - 3/12/2016)
March 18, 2016
Why all the hate? This movie is hilarious.
½ March 2, 2016
"The plot f***ing thickens" as this is by far Dax Shepard's best comedic performance in an otherwise bleak career coupled with the comic genius that is Will Arnett and a sharp hilarious script make Lets go to Prison a riotous laugh out loud comedy with a clever story. So do me a favor and "shake that body for me" and watch this hilarious take on a lighthearted dark prison tale that u won't tell ur grandkids. It wasn't reviewed or received well by anybody and I agree it's not high brow stuff however it is exceedingly hilarious, clever, and especially raunchy without being disgusting. It was just a fun experience with a easy and fun plot to follow not a fantastic comedy like Zoolander but still worthwhile.
October 24, 2015
My absolute favorite comedy. There are several popular comedy actors in this movie and a ton of memorable one-liners.
September 13, 2015
A big swing and miss at any humor.
May 19, 2015
Underappreciated with some solid comic moments.
March 28, 2015
- Watched yet again, must be closing on 10 times now, still just as funny to me. Chi McBride owns this movie!

- Never gets old..."prepare to be woo'ed by the Master". Still laugh out loud through it...

- up to 7 0r 8 viewings now, get better each time. I still laugh out loud through the whole movie. Highly recommended!

- Just watched again for the 5th or 6th time...not a great movie but I just happen to find it funny. Great cast that executes it well...

Just saw this for the 2nd time and I still really liked it. Not a great movie but Dax Sheppard especially Will Arnett just really make me laugh, Arnett has some hilarious moments. Chi McBride provides some strong support and Michael Shannon is quite effective as the bad guy.
½ March 19, 2015
A couple of laughs, but not many. Almost didn't make it through this.
A few bottles of wine from Baby Duck might have helped. Maybe...

March 17, 2015
Decent movie, but don't expect this movie to blow your mind and laugh. The usual prison stereotypes apply in this movie, but the characters and situations make up for it. Go into this movie with no expectations and you'll like this film. Other than that, if you don't like these films but this won't change your mind.
January 2, 2015
A fair comedy with "some" funny scenes but not much. I like prison movies normally and comedy involved can be fun. There are alot better comedies out there tho but this one is worth seeing.
½ December 28, 2014
I spent the first 30 minutes of this movie genuinely concerned that I was going to see anal sex with Will Arnett and that it was going to be portray as a comedy. But it was less funny and more super awkward and horrifying than anything else. I would give this movie less than half a star if RT would let me.
½ September 26, 2014
Let's go to prison is a decent little comedy which is mindless fun and nothing else this is a decent comedy which is nothing else then mindless fun if your looking for a great comedy you won't find it here if you go into here with an open mind you might like it
Grade C+
½ June 18, 2014
Though it's often predictable, it points out some realities of our corrupt and unjust prison system. There is the occasional laugh and we have seen more gratuitous violence in many movies so I don't share the idea that this movie is pointless. The prison passion scenes are sweet.
June 9, 2014
How did this film slip through the cracks!! The scenes with Chi McBride are at first hard to watch, but he really won me over by the end! Such a crazy movie with a ridiculous plot, but I laughed the whole way through! One of Dax Shepard's funniest films! I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting some raunchy laughs!
June 4, 2014
Such a DARK comedy, it's a classic!!!! Soo funny.