Let's Make Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Let's Make Love Reviews

½ January 27, 2012
What can I say? I'm a sucker for anything Marilyn Monroe. While she has much better performances (and better films), this film has many hilarious moments and definitely worth checking out!
January 7, 2012
One of Marilyn's Best!!!! Loved it!!! Though a better leading man would had made this movie better.
January 6, 2012
A light-hearted screwball comedy romance that only Marilyn Monroe can pull off! It has cameos by: Milton Berle, Bing Crosby and Gene Kelly (all playing themselves.) It's not exactly the best script by any means, but it's still worth seeing for Marilyn.
December 18, 2011
Marilyn at her very best, showing off her acting, singing, and dancing talent. Such a joy to watch. If you haven't seen this one, treat yourself and check it out on Netflix Instant.
December 16, 2011
Love her talent, too many musical numbers in my opinion. But then again it's expected in such an old film.
December 3, 2011
I don't understand it, but only old movies seem to keep my attention these days.
½ November 28, 2011
Not a great film. Monroe is absolutely gorgeous in the movie but Yves Montand is not a very likable protagonist. This over-long movie's highlight (outside of Marilyn Monroe, of course) is a the cameo from Milton Berle.
November 24, 2011
let,s make love was good i like it
½ September 11, 2011
Fun music and a very endearing performance from Yves Montand.
June 2, 2011
I'm a Marilyn Fanatic, but this is my least favorite of her films
May 14, 2011
Monroe is fun to watch-
March 19, 2011
It's a good concept but most of the plot elements seemed to be designed more to connect the songs than to serve the plot. Great cast and they did their best with what they were given.
½ March 5, 2011
Not a big fan of the story but the musical numbers are awesome.
½ March 5, 2011
loooove musicals always.....:) wish monroe had a little more role to play.....:( love the songs....all of them..... mostly..." um a daddy's girl" <3 <3 <3
March 3, 2011
This is the first Marilyn Monroe film I've ever seen, and I thought it was cute and funny. It might have been more successful with a different lead--Yves Montand seemed a bit stiff and awkward (although that was kind of the way his character was supposed to be.) I liked the concept of the movie, but it seemed like more could have been done with it. The interaction between Monroe and Montand in the last scene has the most energy of any scene in the film.
½ January 18, 2011
Couldn't get past the first half hour. Marilyn is beautiful of course but not a very good actress. And it's just boring to watch anyway.
½ December 20, 2010
Not a classic, but still a decent comedy with Marilyn coming towards the end of her career playing a naive girl who falls for a french millionaire. Uh huh.
½ October 28, 2010
The first half of this movie would have gotten a resounding 4 stars... Which gives you some idea just how longwinded and dull the second half is (despite Monroe at her almost-best, a charming Vaughan, and cameos by Milton Berle, Bing Crosby AND Gene Kelly)

So my advice: watch the first half, enjoy the opening narrative, Monroe's first song and her first dialogue with Montand, and then just turn it off, it's not like you'll be surprised by the ending anyway.
½ August 25, 2010
She's cute. She's not asked to do much other than be an object of desire. (Most everything is from Montand's point of view), but she's funny and sweet. There are a ton of songs here, part of the off-Broadway revue Marilyn and company are rehearsing...and except for the one Cole Porter number, they all SUCK. If they had been good, this movie would rock. Recommended for Mad Men fans (I'm not one) to get some insight into what passed for entertainment in the early 1960s
August 16, 2010
A fun mid-Century romantic/comedic musical primarily designed to well-showcase classic Marilyn Monroe. Twenty minutes in, when she's clad in a form-fitting sky-blue cardigan and barely-black dance-tights, singing (and hip-swinging) a juicy, flirty rendition of "My Heart Belongs To Daddy," there's no doubt who owns this vehicle. In terms of camping-up and showing-off Marilyn's stereotype stage persona, it doesn't get better than this.

The framing book's thin/simple enough: A suave, wealthy industrialist (Yves Montand) checks out the lousy off-off-Broadway show that's satirizing him, ending up mistakenly hired to act the part of himself, a convenient position from which to ogle/pursue aspiring actress Monroe. Will she love him thinking he's poor - or are diamonds still this girl's best friend?

Norma Jean's not the only viewer fun found in the film. Montand discovers he's badly in need of professional help wooing his gal, leading to humorous/entertaining mentorship bits with Milton Berle, Bing Crosby and Gene Kelly. There's brief send-ups of Elvis, Ol' Blue Eyes and Van Cliburn - did they dare turn down cameos? And there's a generous sprinkling of other classic 50s/60s-styled chuckles throughout.

The plot facilitates several entertaining dance production numbers, a then-jazzy-swingin' score and some enjoyable VanHeusen/Cahn songs to top it off. When Montand delivers the title tune, it's part toe-tapper, part Renzo Cesana. And Marilyn, unbelievably, makes sexy a song about Adam Smith's division-of-labor concept.

Montand (in a role almost mis-cast with Gregory Peck) delivers solid, from serious to sad to smitten to smirks. Tony Randall's in his well-worn shotgun seat, but he's given no ammunition. Viewers will well wonder why Marilyn's excellent dance/song partner Frankie Vaughan found no other film career but this.

RECOMMENDATION: Essential Marilyn, IMHO, and a pretty good place to start your affair with her as well.