Let's Scare Jessica to Death - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Let's Scare Jessica to Death Reviews

October 10, 2016
Slow, boring, low budget, and badly acted
August 29, 2016
My favorite horror film. A slow creepfest that relies on atmosphere and not gore. Love this film!
½ May 13, 2016
John D. Hancock's underrated chiller is a solemn study of mental illness which has inspired more niches of cinema than most would give it credit for.
The film is a genuinely unnerving is-it-or-isn't-it-all-in-her-head horror, manipulating a minuscule budget into atmospheric bliss.
Old-fashioned ambiguity rules the roost in this tinny hippie nightmare, which clicks and clanks in key with the cogs of doe-eyed Jessica's delicate psyche. Zohra Lampert is superb in the titular role, and the film begs repeat viewings from those interested in the nuances of the nightmare movie.
½ May 12, 2016
Let's Scare Jessica To Death is a bit like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle of a landscape and discovering at the end you're missing a couple of pieces. You're unfulfilled that you can't finish it without those pieces but you know that even if you had them, it still be a generic farm scene you've wasted time on.
I picked it based on it being 70s' Horror , I mean what can go wrong? 70s' Horror tends to either be brilliant or in the "So bad, it's good" category .... Usually.
Firstly, It's not a terrible film,it's just not a particularly good one to claim its "Cult Classic" status. The films biggest problem isn't the acting yet it is one of the reasons why the film doesn't work - at times it's so off base that it makes it hard to connect with the characters. -I.e. Jessica, someone supposedly recovering from a severe mental break comes across like someone trying weed for the first time and trying to hide the fact she is going to puke.
The thing that sinks the ship is that is has too many ideas that they tinker with before giving up on and just letting it direct itself, It can't decide whether it wants to be a hippy slasher flick, a folksie ghost story or a tale of madness. It reeks of someone who has forgotten what they started out to make and the biggest blow is that if they had just stuck to one idea; The mentally fragile victim being toyed with by a provocative hippy or vampires and ghosts, then it might have been something better.
It's Texas Chainsaw with a Manson follower instead of Leatherface and boredom as her weapon of choice.
January 13, 2016
One of the creepiest movies ever made. A true horror gem.
October 15, 2015
I was originally going to give this a lower score because I found the direction to be drab and the movie kind of tedious. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enthralled and enjoying it throughout. It held my attention despite being like flavorless oatmeal. It was really the characters that kept me entertained. The lead who plays Jessica is actually really good, and walks a fine line between hammy overacting and being a legitimately crazy woman. She reaches that point where you're about to laugh at her acting, but then pulls it back slightly enough to make her character someone the audience can connect to. Like I said before, the direction is really dull. But there are some pretty creepy moments, like the mute girl who seems to be following Jessica and the scene where someone comes out of the water. Though, those parts are creepier more for the context than because they're shot or edited to make you pee your pants. The ending was interesting, but kind of confusing. I didn't quite understand what the antagonist was doing. Then it gets really reminiscent of Dead & Buried for a little bit before ending a bit anticlimactically. I think you're supposed to come away wondering if Jessica was crazy or not, but I didn't really get that. The way the movie portrays it is Jessica is not crazy. It never seems like she's imagining things or jumping to conclusions, even if the voice overs try to make it seem that way. This, again, is kind of a problem because of a director who seemed to be just following the script instead of adding artistic flare. Maybe I'm off base with my assessment, but this was just how my viewing went. Anyway, I'd put Let's Scare Jessica to Death up there with the other movie I mentioned, Dead & Buried. It's not up there with the classics or even a movie you need to go out of your way to see, but once you start getting past the notable horror titles and into more unknown and forgotten movies, they're surprisingly entertaining.
October 12, 2015
A bit of a curiosity, this film is eerie and it never quite reveals itself fully.
October 11, 2015
The best thing about this early 70s horror is its title. Well, not quite as some of the cinematography is quite nice. Unfortunately the film is short on scares but it does have a brooding atmosphere. It just about works, despite some iffy performances, most notably from Jessica herself.
June 20, 2015
Erie atmosphere, that from beginning to end, gives you a distinct impression that beneath this picturesque rural setting something is very wrong. Great movie for fans of intelligent terror.
May 27, 2015
I am perplexed by this movie's low ratings. Despite the flaws and low budget, this stylishly twisted movie is surprisingly effective. Creepy, paranoid and somehow darkly erotic -- it haunts long after the credits roll. Cult Classic and apparently very under rated.
February 3, 2015
A nice surrealist, psychological thriller for fans of 70s horror flicks. The movie keeps you guessing what is real and what isn't. I think its about a mentally fragile young woman who has dropped too much acid and who cant come to terms with her homosexuality. That's just my take.
½ November 6, 2014
Too slow and drawn out
½ October 9, 2014
Slow horror film gets a bit tedious in places.
August 25, 2014
I loved the title... The film... Pretty bad.
½ July 6, 2014
Nicely done..disturbing and creepy.
½ July 6, 2014
Filme de terror claramente rasca torna-se muito enfadonho na sua tentativa de ser tudo ao mesmo tempo, sem nunca conseguir aguentar-se em qualquer uma dessas facetas: seja a do thriller psicológico de uma mulher na fronteira da demência ou no sustento de uma história de casa assombrada por uma família que ali morava há muitos anos e blá blá blá.
½ March 31, 2014
i watch it every year. really interesting music and tone. takes some interesting risks too.
March 11, 2014
One of those cult films that has an inexplicable 'hidden gem' status. Don't you believe it... The film isn't awful but it is incredibly pedestrian, low budget and in the end, not really worth the effort.
January 24, 2014
a great movie to watch with friends....and make fun of EVERYTHING about it
December 1, 2013