Let's Scare Jessica to Death Reviews

• Jun 03, 2019

Low budget gem of a psychological horror film. Vampirism, free love, and mental illness...all on an island in and around an abandoned house! What more could you ask for?

• Jan 07, 2019

Pretty boring. Unbearable main character. Final with an interesting cyclic end, but one gets exhausted.

• Aug 13, 2018

Scared me to death When I was a kid! Still scares me!

Scared me to death When I was a kid! Still scares me!

• Feb 23, 2018

Not scary anymore. The movie moves along quite slowly, almost boring the viewer at times. The acting isn't the problem, it's the script. The sound effects do a good job of trying to enhance the tension of the scenes. But overall this movie didn't age well, and isn't scary anymore.

• Jul 03, 2017

Movie about a woman who starts having weird visions. I think. The movie is so awful that I barely managed to watch it past an hour. Horrible.

• Oct 10, 2016

Slow, boring, low budget, and badly acted

Slow, boring, low budget, and badly acted

• May 13, 2016

John D. Hancock's underrated chiller is a solemn study of mental illness which has inspired more niches of cinema than most would give it credit for. The film is a genuinely unnerving is-it-or-isn't-it-all-in-her-head horror, manipulating a minuscule budget into atmospheric bliss. Old-fashioned ambiguity rules the roost in this tinny hippie nightmare, which clicks and clanks in key with the cogs of doe-eyed Jessica's delicate psyche. Zohra Lampert is superb in the titular role, and the film begs repeat viewings from those interested in the nuances of the nightmare movie.

• May 12, 2016

Let's Scare Jessica To Death is a bit like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle of a landscape and discovering at the end you're missing a couple of pieces. You're unfulfilled that you can't finish it without those pieces but you know that even if you had them, it still be a generic farm scene you've wasted time on. I picked it based on it being 70s' Horror , I mean what can go wrong? 70s' Horror tends to either be brilliant or in the "So bad, it's good" category .... Usually. Firstly, It's not a terrible film,it's just not a particularly good one to claim its "Cult Classic" status. The films biggest problem isn't the acting yet it is one of the reasons why the film doesn't work - at times it's so off base that it makes it hard to connect with the characters. -I.e. Jessica, someone supposedly recovering from a severe mental break comes across like someone trying weed for the first time and trying to hide the fact she is going to puke. The thing that sinks the ship is that is has too many ideas that they tinker with before giving up on and just letting it direct itself, It can't decide whether it wants to be a hippy slasher flick, a folksie ghost story or a tale of madness. It reeks of someone who has forgotten what they started out to make and the biggest blow is that if they had just stuck to one idea; The mentally fragile victim being toyed with by a provocative hippy or vampires and ghosts, then it might have been something better. It's Texas Chainsaw with a Manson follower instead of Leatherface and boredom as her weapon of choice.

• Feb 06, 2016

Without doubt, one of the very best horror movies of the 70's. Atmospheric, well thought out and well acted. Highly recommended.

• Oct 15, 2015

I was originally going to give this a lower score because I found the direction to be drab and the movie kind of tedious. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enthralled and enjoying it throughout. It held my attention despite being like flavorless oatmeal. It was really the characters that kept me entertained. The lead who plays Jessica is actually really good, and walks a fine line between hammy overacting and being a legitimately crazy woman. She reaches that point where you're about to laugh at her acting, but then pulls it back slightly enough to make her character someone the audience can connect to. Like I said before, the direction is really dull. But there are some pretty creepy moments, like the mute girl who seems to be following Jessica and the scene where someone comes out of the water. Though, those parts are creepier more for the context than because they're shot or edited to make you pee your pants. The ending was interesting, but kind of confusing. I didn't quite understand what the antagonist was doing. Then it gets really reminiscent of Dead & Buried for a little bit before ending a bit anticlimactically. I think you're supposed to come away wondering if Jessica was crazy or not, but I didn't really get that. The way the movie portrays it is Jessica is not crazy. It never seems like she's imagining things or jumping to conclusions, even if the voice overs try to make it seem that way. This, again, is kind of a problem because of a director who seemed to be just following the script instead of adding artistic flare. Maybe I'm off base with my assessment, but this was just how my viewing went. Anyway, I'd put Let's Scare Jessica to Death up there with the other movie I mentioned, Dead & Buried. It's not up there with the classics or even a movie you need to go out of your way to see, but once you start getting past the notable horror titles and into more unknown and forgotten movies, they're surprisingly entertaining.