Let's Spend the Night Together - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Let's Spend the Night Together Reviews

May 19, 2013
It was amazing watching this on big screen plus the stereo sound. Enjoyable for those who likes the Rolling Stones.
½ May 16, 2013
the Stones weren't exactly at their best during this period, and the film plays pretty long. That said, it's worth a watch for the eclectic set list.
August 12, 2012
Live concert performances from the Rolling Stones record setting 1981 North American tour promoting the Tattoo You album. Filmed at Sun Devil Stadium and the Meadowlands arena. Not a great view for fans sitting at the back of Sun Devil Stadium but at least they can say they were there. If you like the Stones, worth checking out.
June 4, 2012
no info = not interested
½ May 11, 2011
Interesting that Ashby wasn't listed as an editor; even though this was produced around the time studios were routinely taking creative control from him, there were some particularly choice cuts and juxtapositions, and I suspect he did some uncredited editing work. I'll have to remember to look back through his biography to check for certain.

Basically a well-put-together concert film culled from the high points of several 1981 shows by a Stones who were a bit past their peak, but only just (particularly grin-worthy are several shots of Bill Wyman looking on with detached amusement at Mick's antics - particularly depressing is that Mick was my age when this film was shot). Could have been more, but I suppose we already had Gimme Shelter.
½ August 11, 2010
An awesome concert film of the Stones belting out their greatest hits such as the title track, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Under My Thumb, Honkey Tonk Women, Jumpin' Jack Flash and many more in these two concerts in New Jersey and Arizona on their '81 tour
½ August 6, 2010
It's hard to say what my favorite band is - either The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin but I don't love The Stones live. Their studio work is great but The Stones never give a mesmerizing performance even w/ all of Micks strutting. This is basically the Tattoo You tour which is alright by me because you get to hear classics like Neighbours, Black Limousine & Little T&A. Unfortunately you get Waiting on a Friend which Ive never been fond of. The Stones have never been what they were in the 60s but they sure are durable. My favorite is probably Thumbing Dice because it sound most like the studio version. I think I probably would have liked this more is it was just a recording of a Stone live performance instead of being cut from a few. W/ over 20 cameras to catch the action you would figure that the end product would be better. And then it has images of famine, prisoners decapitations & other atrocities. Bizarre & inappropriate..well you can't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need.
July 16, 2009
all i can say is: thank you vh1 classic. you are the best music channel out there. screw mtv. you are the real music television. this is a spectacular concert film featuring the rolling stones performing their major hits. i always love singing along to "beast of burden", "under my thumb", "jumpin' jack flash", and then the closer "satisfaction". this is just an awesome film for the stones.
January 31, 2009
I realize this film was shot in 1981, but that's no excuse for a concert movie being so bad, when there were many other concert films shot in the 60's and 70's that still hold up today. This one was sloppily made, random shots of the band playing songs that didn't sync up with the audio at all, terrible camera angles and coverage. The Tempe fans were practically asleep for their show. Not something for the Rolling Stones to be proud of.
October 14, 2008
Classic stones concert in N.J. and Arizona
½ September 17, 2008
Pretty good Stones concert, could have have some better songs, but great seeing them in the 80s in front of so many people!
February 8, 2008
You know, some films probably aren't that great in the scheme of things but if they catch you at a formative age they leave a great impression and possess strong nostalgic value and that's why this scores highly for me. Amen.
January 28, 2008
"Shortly thereafter, [Hal] Ashby -- a longtime Rolling Stones fan -- accompanied the group on their 1981 American tour, in the process filming the documentary Let's Spend the Night Together. The occupational hazards of the road were too much for Ashby, who overdosed before a show in Phoenix, Arizona. Although the film was eventually completed, it was relegated to cable TV."
--from Wikipedia entry for Hal Ashby, under subhead "Decline" -- this is the man who brought the world "Harold and Maude"

...And cable TV is where I saw it. Well, most of it, but enough to feel as if I've seen it, or enough anyway. Probably the first 1.5 hours, while doing other things. Went back to catch the last 10 minutes but it must have ended already, because VH1 was playing the video for "Emotional Rescue," which has a fun Lite-Brite effect but otherwise is one of their more disco-focused tunes (need I say more). I expected off-screen interviews, the insider stuff, but really it was just footage of them performing on tour. Which is interesting to watch, and sparks in me thoughts like, "Are the other band members really looking at Mick, whispering to each other, and then laughing?" or is that just my imagination, running away with me? (Cover of which they did in the early part of the flick, by the way.) And if Mick and Keith were both taking a facebook/cosmo/seventeen mag-style personality quiz, and it asked a question about how you select the clothes you wear, Mick would check A. I prefer to dress in the fashions and trends of the times, and Keith would check C. I have my own timeless rock'n'roller style. White spandex and kneepads for Mick. And then, the idea of seeing a band in such a large arena -- I guess it becomes more about the spectacle and vibe of the event than any kind of close-up view. I don't feel I've seen enough concert films to qualify as a proper evaluator (or at least the ones I have seen have had more talking -- documentary-style talking AND all-out rocking), so I give this a worth seeing if you like concert films and you like the Rolling Stones and maybe you have some other things to do while you're watching it, like eat, and read magazines, or if you're a knitter you might knit, or maybe make some lists (if you're a list maker), or this might work well with drugs of some sort (Ashby does achieve the nice trippy concert film quality). But it's not so much worth seeing if you can't go for any of the aforementioned. That's where I leave the matter. Emotional rescue, ooh ooh ooh ooh. [vh1 1-08]
½ November 10, 2007
Here are the Stones in their high camp 80's mode and it's only 1981. Hal Ashby makes a decent rock film but the rock is what drags it down. Some of these songs are just ruined by the tempo changes. Jagger's outfit pushes this one over the top, and not in the best way.
October 20, 2007
Hal Asby directs this Stones concert film -WHen IS this coming out on dvd?
½ August 25, 2007
Not the best concert film, but fun.
½ June 15, 2007
If you love the rolling stones then this film is a must!!
½ June 9, 2007
A good rock 'n' roll concert film but a lot of the songs seem to be played way too fast when they're not supposed to be. But once again, the Stones are in fine musical form. Just because it isn't some emo, hip-hop or American Idol crap, doesn't mean that you shouldn't see it.
½ May 13, 2007
This is actually a decent concert film. I just don't care for the stones live. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you just might find...you get enough to screw up the rest of your life."(or something like that)