Letter From an Unknown Woman Reviews

• May 06, 2020

This beautiful and lavished story about unrequited love delivers thanks to Ophuls' elegant style. It might only be considered a milestone from the Hollywood's Golden Age, but it is also a major achievement in the history of cinema. A classic love story where melodrama is not exceeded; it is simple and magnificent at the same time. Maybe Joan Fontaine's greatest performance in her fantastic career.

• Apr 27, 2020

1001 movies to see before you die. A Melodramatic tribute to Viennese love. I'm not a fan of either leads.

• Feb 13, 2020

Letter from an Unknown Woman is the ultimate tale of unrequited love. It’s not an easy story to watch because the title alone tells us that she will never be remembered by this man she so desperately loves. Joan Fontaine is charming in the lead role, and provided a lot of heart to the film. I appreciated that, despite the fact that she was constantly pining for her true love, she never felt like a totally weak character. In fact, she was determined and driven to follow her heart despite the way society wanted her to go. I also have a fondness for Louis Jourdan, probably born out of watching Octopussy so many times as a young man. He is a suave leading man, and works as the type of person that could get so caught up in playing the field that he might forget many of the women he met along the way. While the acting was strong, and the story was certainly emotional in its themes, I never clicked with Letter from an Unknown Woman. It is a movie that has a somewhat dour tone, and I found myself anticipating where the story was headed long before the letter revealed the details. What surprised me most was that I didn’t get invested in the emotional stakes of the relationship. Normally, I am a sucker for a story about the person who loves from afar, and struggles to connect with their soulmate. Perhaps as I get older, I’m less sympathetic, because I can’t help thinking things like “move on and find someone else.” I also struggled with the ending because I couldn’t see the point of it all. It never felt like there was a resolution of any kind, and that left me dissatisfied. Letter from an Unknown Woman wasn’t a bad movie, just one that failed to connect with me beyond the surface level of the story.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Feb 09, 2017

Poses all sorts of interesting questions of love gone wrong on either side of the relationship, with some delicious lighting and cinematography complementing the action.

• Nov 04, 2016

Overated piece of shit.....crazed stalker lady pines for slime-ball piano player in 1900 Vienna ....slow as well

• Jun 05, 2016

Letter from an Unknown Woman is a spectacular, searing, beautifully arranged study of fated romance.

• May 21, 2016

It's a bit silly really - not one of Fontaine's best as well. I just couldn't see her transformations as she matures in the film

• Nov 12, 2015

such excellence. truly graceful, symbolic and aesthetically pleasing. A classic.

• May 25, 2015

Pure art of cinema. Classec tearjerker with brilliant camera work and wonderful performances. And priceless storytelling.