A Letter to Brezhnev - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Letter to Brezhnev Reviews

November 4, 2011
Much underappreciated, near classic British film (generally, not critically) which isn't shown as much these days as it should be.
½ October 12, 2010
A little too fantastical for me
August 18, 2010
Sweet little film about two scouse girls looking to escape their dull lives in 80s Kirby who meet a pair of Russian sailors. One falls in love and writes to Russian President Brezhnev to find a way to be with him. I want to know what happens to her in Russia! That would have been a really interesting film!
terris85017
March 23, 2010
(1986 Director: Chris Bernard) I want to see this movie for Alfred Molina's performance!
January 22, 2010
I remember seeing this - probably on TV but had forgotten all about it, until chatting to Chris from the Co-Operative Bank. He told me he was "Andrew Burke" in it. So there!
½ October 11, 2009
If only this film had had a better soundtrack - which it really should have done. Dated, but lots of strange, nostalgic fun - and what on earth is Alfred Molina doing in this film?!
DrLappos
½ August 9, 2009
This was such a late eighties movie with the srikes and Britain in economic decline that it spoke to almost everyone who watched it. At the time the Soviet Union was still this terrifying entity just waiting to wipe us all off the face of the earth...This comes through a little in the film and it is really enjoyable.
½ September 13, 2008
Two Soviet sailors, Peter and Sergei, go ashore in Liverpool to spend one night on the town. Peter can speak a minimal amount of English but it's enough to make contact with two Liverpudlian natives, Elaine and Theresa. Elaine and Peter immediately fall in love with each other, but the night is short and they must leave with the ship. Elaine can't forget him and writes a letter to Leonid Brezhnev, asking him to make it possible for them to reunite.
September 6, 2008
Funny, quirky brit flick based in liverpool.
July 20, 2008
Dodgy acting, outweighed by heart and soul. Brilliant
July 14, 2008
Very 80s, haha. but the story was interesting and their accents were awesome!
½ May 1, 2008
such a lovely film...really good as well. but what on earth were these people wearing those days???!!!!! ;)
½ April 2, 2008
A nice slice of eoghties cheese but with a touch of miserabilism. i have a bit of a soft spot for these British eighties films with the over the top charecters, bad hair, utterly awful clothes and a heavy use of foul language. If it was up to me I would have pissed off to Russia in the eighites rather than withering away in the decay Liverpool back then. ( special thanks to the Guardian newspaper for giving away these cheesy films on a weekend). What happened to Margi Clarke, Alfred Molina went on to become Dr Octopuss and peter Firth is the grump one off Spooks.
½ March 3, 2008
Good period flick in the British Socialist Realist cinema genre of the early 80s.
February 18, 2008
our little 80´s dream
February 17, 2008
Saw this movie in Japan in the early 80's with an Aussie colleague who needed a translator for the Scouse!! Loved the sharp wit of the women and the reality it represented and the mention of Southport of course Ha! Loved the dream it had to offer...
February 6, 2008
i love u margi clarke! gloom the face off you
½ January 23, 2008
Watch it in media studies last year. It's the worst film I've ever seen.
January 22, 2008
The only bad thing about this movie is that whole letter-to- Brezhnev thing. As a fun-yet-gritty atmospheric portrait of love-sick girls in Liverpool in the early 80s, it works brilliantly. The music enhances the experience.
December 23, 2007
The film hasn't aged well but if you can remember Bronski Beat and Electric Blue tights, you will love this film