Levity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Levity Reviews

½ May 5, 2010
Slow and straight-forward movie. I liked it...
LWOODS04
November 6, 2009
BILLY BOB THORNTON, MORGAN FREEMAN, HOLLY HUNTER, KIRSTEN DUNST

Manual Jordan has gotten parole from a life sentence for the murder of Abner Easley, and returns to the city he lived in to try to seek redemption. He ends up living and working at a community house run by a preacher, Miles Evans. Manual also becomes friends with Adele Easley, his victims sister, in an attempt to make up for what he did. While working at the home he has interactions with Sofia Mellinger, the druggie daughter of a famous singer, struggling with the lack of adult guidance in her life.

It's a slow story, but the character's keep it interesting enough. Not the greatest movie done by any of these actors, yet worth the watch. The movie is simple. No twists and turns. Just a story playing out with some decent acting. Nothing to special. Some people may get bored with it, cause of how slow the movie is. But stick with it. Maybe you will see something in it I didn't. Billy Bob Thornton was good in this movie along with Freeman, and Hunter. I was unimpressed with Kirsten Dunst's role. I just found her annoying. I like her acting though. Just not in this movie. Maybe seeing it a second time around would change my mind, but I don't know if I want to sit through it again.
March 24, 2013
Thoughtful and compelling, Levity is an insightful drama that explores some deep issues. The story follows a convict that's seeking redemption and is taken in by a street preach who runs a shelter. Billy Bob Thornton, Morgan Freeman, Holly Hunter, and Kirsten Dunst lead the cast and give strong performances. The film is quite introspective and approaches its material in an unusual manner; which gives it a refreshing tone. Some of the character plots are underdeveloped, but overall the writing's pretty good. Though it's not completely successful, Levity is a smart and well-crafted film that has some rich storytelling.
November 11, 2007
This was a great story and if it was a book, it would have been amazing. As a movie however it was a bit slow.
½ December 16, 2013
Excellent cast and a story that could have worked if it had any sense of reality. Unfortunately almost everything in this movie is contrived and blatantly artificial.
August 25, 2008
All about redemption, Levity is not a bad movie. Lots of stars, Billy Bob Thornton, Kirsten Dust, Morgan Freeman... It's not the greatest, but the look and feel of it along with the great acting make it a decent movie.
½ March 19, 2008
The actors bring more realism -- more gravity, if you will -- to the film than its wobbly premise deserves.
March 14, 2007
was just exactly what I needed. It's a very well crafted film (Billy Bob Thorten, Morgan Freeman, Holly Hunter and Kirsten Dunst all turn in wonderful performences) with a very solid, very real script. It's about a lot of big things, atonement, restitution, fighting your way free of the past, but it fits them all neatly into a handful of ordinary lives. I cried, but I cried good tears. I recomend it very much, it's soft and it's sad and it talks about real hope, the kind that you get in the real world, dirty and dented and not fitting very well, but the only kind of hope we have down here. LEVITY. See it.
½ February 18, 2007
HATE HATE HATE THIS MOVIE. IT SUCKS SO BADLY. I've got a message board on imdb about how badly I hate this movie and it has offended so many people. What the hell is wrong with them. I mean, the actors are decent, but this movie just sucks. It's torture to have to sit through this. I acutally wanted my money back from renting this garbage.
½ August 14, 2006
This movie suprised me so much... the idea of a pastor on the run and a girl who parties too much... the whole plot was cool as was the acting.
August 9, 2006
Not a fan of drama like movies. Billy bob is to serious in this movie. Thought it would be better with these good actors. Fan of morgan Billy bob and Kiersten
½ June 24, 2005
Levity is a psychological drama about a man names Manual Jordan (played by Billy Bob Thornton) who is released from prison after serving 21 years for killing a young convenience store clerk. He returns to the city where he committed the crime in an attempt to make ammends. He ends up working at a community center for a character played by Morgan Freeman helping troubled teens. Meanwhile he stalks the sister of his victim (played by Holly Hunter) who happens to have a troubled son and you guessed it they become romantically involved. Oh and he's helping a spoiled rich girl (Kirsten Dunst) as well.

Basically the story is a mess. Unbelievable and it tries to be too righteous. Considering the talented actors involved it is even more disappointing.
January 28, 2005
I watched another Takeshi Miike movie, "Happiness of the Katakuris", and once again I looked at the screen pretty much in disbelief for most of the movie. I don't know what to say about the movie, really. If you like musicals, but feel they don't typically have enough random violence, corny synthesizer music, incongrous song placement and claymation torture, you're in luck - someone made a movie just for you.

On a more pretentious note, I watched "Levity", which by my calculations is the pretentiousist movie ever made in english. It's about a guy who gets out of jail and... well, it's really about some liberal's guilt fantasy. Or maybe just general, pussy guilt. I'm pretty much a knee-jerk, tax and spend, bleeding heart myself, but this movie reminded me of an old National Lampoon song by Christopher Guest about his "middle-class white-boy well-intentioned blues" a little too much. I don't think anyone involved in the movie knows a goddamn thing about any of the characters in it, so everyone's just a walking stereotype with a built-in twist. I kept almost turning it off, but Kirsten Dunst is in it so... I kinda just waited it out until she was on screen again.

On a side note, at what point did Holly Hunter decide it would be a smart career move to only take roles inspired by after-school specials? First "Thirteen", now this - I can't even remember why I used to think she was cool.

Now for the bright, happy moment - I finally saw "The Crime of Padre Amaro", and it was word as hell. I thought there'd be more [b]fukin'[/b], but there was enough to get by on, and the movie smartly kept it's character close to it's heart, even as the plot spiralled and sprawled everywhere. I've seen that Gael Bernal guy in a few things now, and liked him, but I wasn't really prepared for how much ass he could kick as an actor. He completely got inside the character. He kicked ass... but [i]subtley[/i], and he was probably the main reason the movie didn't suck.

So good job, guy.
½ October 4, 2004
[size=5][color=red]the plot[/color][/size]

Manual Jordan (BILLY BOB THORNTON) is a man caught between two worlds: the one which existed before he was incarcerated, and the one into which he's released 22 years later.

A yellowing newspaper photograph of 16-year-old convenience store clerk Abner Easley--the boy Manual killed in a robbery gone terribly wrong --has stared down at him from the wall of his cell for more than two decades. Manual feels that his life sentence is just and deserved, so when--much to his surprise and even somewhat against his will--he's released, the aimless boy is now a lost man.

Floating through the barely familiar wintry landscape of his childhood neighborhood, Manual is like a ghost hungry for atonement, seemingly alienated from everything except for his terrible memories of the day which changed not only his life, but that of so many others as well. He glides through this strange new world a man apart, his wraithlike aspect and deeply formal, barely articulate manner guaranteed to insure solitude.

Almost by accident--or fate--Manual is drawn into the life of an inner city community center run by the relentlessly tough, caring and enigmatic pastor Miles Evans (MORGAN FREEMAN). Miles offers Manual work in return for a room, and once again, Abner Easley's photo is prominently placed, reminding Manual to come to terms with his crimes, his past, his future, himself.

While Manual tries to confront his past, Sofia Mellinger (KIRSTEN DUNST) is unable to deal with her present. A beautiful and privileged wreck of a young woman bent on self-destruction, she constantly requires Manual's reluctant assistance to survive the short trip from the hip nightclub across the street to the safety of the community house next door.

Ultimately, Manual seeks to reconcile his painful past when he pursues a relationship with Adele Easley (HOLLY HUNTER), the older sister of the boy he killed. Yet he finds himself unable to confess his true identity to her, especially as their relationship deepens.

[size=5][color=red]what i think of the movie[/color][/size]
[color=wheat]i got bored in this movie about half way though i lost track of what was going on cause i was cleaning out my wallet,the problem is the story doesnt have a pace or any events that make you care at all about the charaters it's a bland mess really ,the story wanders on so many diffent paths all at once it loses track of the main plot of the movie crap crap crap i give it a 2 just cause the cast gives a good performance despite the crap story they have [/color]
November 3, 2003
From the creator of [i]Men in Black[/i] comes a far more serious film, which chronicles an ex-con's search for redemption.

The man in question (Billy Bob Thornton) is unwillingly paroled after 20 years, and contemplates the five steps to redemption: repentance, undoing the harm, reconciliation with the victim, reconciliation with God, and being in the same situation and doing the right thing. He despairs of the last four ever happening, but feels compelled to hang out by the home of his victim's sister (Holly Hunter), his last surviving relative. He offers to help her with groceries and such. At first, not knowing his true identity, she considers him a dangerous stalker, but eventually decides he's got a crush on her. Her son, named after her slain brother, is involved with some serious gang activity. He has never known a father figure, and at least in the back of her mind, she sees this helpful, decent man as a possible solution.

At the same time, the ex-con is recruited by the pastor of a South Side Chicago church (Morgan Freeman) to help out with his youth program, and his night outreach to young people who attend the dance club across the street. He has a deal where the suburbanites can park free in his secured lot if they attend 15 minutes of his Bible study. We see a bit of his preaching, and can realize right away that he has something of a dark past. Anyhow, the ex-con becomes known as "God-boy" to the clubgoers, since he's the one taking their names down.

One partier (Kirsten Dunst) in particular catches the eye of God-boy, as often times she leaves her car overnight. It turns out she's passing out drunk every other night, and getting rides home from other people. One time when she returns the next day for her keys, he wonders aloud why she does this to herself. She reacts badly, to say the least, but the next time she blacks out she asks for God-boy. The club manager goes across the street to get him, and God-boy pays for a taxi to take her home. After this, she begins to hang out with the youth group at the church. The interaction between the inner-city guys and the suburban girl is great. She knows how to take care of herself, to say the least.

As the story goes on, the pastor is around less and less, and God-boy takes over more and more of the day-to-day operation of the church. He gains the trust of his victim's sister, as he talks to her son about the consequences of murder. One by one, he unintentionally fulfills the steps to redemption, but the burning secret of his true identity would ruin everything if it comes out.

How far can redemption go? Can a murderer ever make up the damage he or she has done? These questions are among those explored by the film, and there are no easy answers, and not much levity to be found.
½ September 4, 2015
Didn't keep my attention.