Liberal Arts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Liberal Arts Reviews

½ September 28, 2015
Really not a good film. Actors are great (apart from Josh Radnor who seems to play the same character as his most famous role - Ted Mosby) but there is basically no plot & what does happen is cheesy and unbelievable. If I had the choice again I would pick a different film.
½ August 10, 2015
Not quite a coming-of-age story, but certainly one about finding oneself. It's a relatively gentile story of love, relationships, and understanding life through education.
July 30, 2015
I had a strong feeling this entire movie that I was supposed to think it was cool and artsy, but it felt more like a weird Rom Com. I really enjoyed Elizabeth Olsen's performance though!
½ July 27, 2015
Charming and lovely, Liberal Arts leads us to a nostalgic trip to our youths with incredible performances, making this film a good story easily to identify or get trapped with.
July 26, 2015
Though the script lacks a "something" that would've made it memorable, Liberal Arts is a really good, charming study of the nostalgia for our youth with great acting specially from Elizabeth Olsen, who really pulls off a character which is impossible not to fall in love with
½ July 24, 2015
Quite a good movie I should say. Its smart and true to what its trying to portray, and is sure to resonate with LAS majors in particular. My only real criticism is that Olsen plays a rather obnoxiously precocious 19-year old, and its to the point of complete implausibility. It should be mentioned that the movie doesn't aim too high, and it completely fulfills its expectations.
June 28, 2015
Enjoyable rom com.

I liked too, the characterizations, such as the types of people encountered on University campuses. They were very accurate.
June 17, 2015
For me, Liberal Art is a promising story held back by its leading character, Jesse. Jesse is a naive 35 year old college graduate that we're supposed to find charming and intelligent, but I found him irritating. The supporting cast seemed more genuine in their humanity than he did. Jesse was more like the idea of a man than an actual one. So, I'm left with mixed feelings about this film. Elizabeth Olsen's character was fun to watch. In fact, she is more of a leading character in this movie than Jesse could ever hope to be.
June 7, 2015
One Of my favorites, love the dialogues and the characters interaction is very deep. It's all about beginnings and endings. About life in general. About you wherever stage you are in you're life !
½ May 27, 2015
Trop mignonne la Zibby :)
½ May 14, 2015
A very well written Dramadey. The acting overall was outstanding, I recommend it to all Drama fans.
April 1, 2015
awesome movie! lots of thought provoking stuff from one of my favourite actors josh radnor aka ted mosby
March 16, 2015
Ted Mosby being a nerd snob the he is deals with realities of life. I love it!
March 10, 2015
I liked this film more than I expected; it brought me back to a place and time in my own life during college....where my life teetered on the edge of youth and adulthood.....where those interpersonal lessons are learned. I suppose the film is as much about growing older as it is about finding yourself in the youth of others while discerning the meaning of relationships ! 3 Stars
February 16, 2015
"Liberal Arts" is an enjoyable, cleverly written film that should strike a note with college students current and former. The witty writing and earnest cast make its few pretentious missteps easy to brush off affectionately.
½ February 15, 2015
Ted Mosby hitting on a younger girl and has second thoughts? Stop me if you've seen this before. It wasn't that bad but I wanted something less predictable.
February 13, 2015
Surprisingly enjoyable.
Depicts generation gaps as far as relationships and literature and the way both are looked at.
February 8, 2015
A pleasant movie about people of all ages growing up. I recommend it for a rainy Sunday.
½ February 2, 2015
What the fuck was Zac Efron doing in this movie? What the fuck was anyone doing in this movie. It's not a bad "older dude and precocious young girl fall for each other" type thing I guess but the premise is a little trite. Props to Josh Radnor for not being mega creepy like James Franco was in Palo Alto. I'm writing this with about 30 minutes left in the movie so I may have some updates.
Update: Allison Janney being seductive with a french fry was pretty great.
Update: This whole thing with Allison Janney is really helping the film.
Update: Still nothing amazing but the movie kinda got its shit together. Ana was a disappointingly flat character though.
½ January 29, 2015
I enjoyed this movie. I think Elizabeth Olson is a very talented actress, and I look forward to seeing what she does in the future. Josh Radnor is... pretty good. I'm more impressed by the fact that he wrote and directed this film than by his acting. The story seems a little predictable, but the dialogue and acting is good enough that I recommended this to some of my friends. (Hey, this movie has a hilarious Zac Efron cameo in it! And it's on Netflix instant watch!) :)