The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp Reviews

• Nov 07, 2020

Simultaneously a satire on traditional British sensibilities in the face of a dynamic, entirely uncompromising, and comprehensively evil enemy, and a touching character study in its slightly misguided, but largely moral and wholesome protagonist. Livesey's Candy gradually transforms from lively idealist, to refined intellectual (albeit one tainted with naivete), and finally to a jaded, resolute pragmatist. The film provides a poignant take on generational parallels while still recognizing the role of change in the world that must be accounted for. At once, a celebration of British culture and a satire of its shortcomings, particularly its overreliance on tradition and formality. For the period, exceptionally vivid color certainly adds to the spectacle. I do feel that the triple role of Kerr as a unifying figure between the British and German home lives of yesteryear and the more modern world that Candy ultimately finds himself in is somewhat hokey, though. (4/5)

• Oct 25, 2020

While I found parts of this film worth watching, the first 45 minutes seemed rather foolish, and very slow moving, while the frequent use of mounted heads of the myriad poor defenseless animals that the main character used to prove he had a penis I found downright revolting, and definitely part of the reason why we have lost 2/3 of all wildlife since 1970 and most of our chance of saving the balance of nature by biodiversity. The movie was way too long and just not interesting enough to sustain 2 hours and 45 minutes. There are so many war movies of the same period that are just so much better!

• Sep 23, 2020

Wow. Epic and intimate at the same time, with an outstanding performance by Roger Livesey. The emotion of it sneaks up on you throughout the running time, but leads to a wonderfully poignant ending. I just wish the main character hadn’t been a trophy hunter. I know why that was included but it meant I really struggled to sympathise with him afterwards.

• Aug 30, 2020

It's a nice tale. You can tell it's a wartime film as it's wrapped up in the propaganda of patriotic fervour. If you overlook that and the ridiculous myths of British values, it still makes for a nice reflective piece on ageing, lost love and friendship.

• Jul 29, 2020

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a 1943 romantic drama war film written, produced and directed by the British film making team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger 🍿 It's ok, but I feel mixed about this one 😉 I'd recommend it if you like this genre, but if not then probably give it a miss 👍🏼👎🏼 AN UNFORGETTABLE STORY OF FORTY GALLANT YEARS.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Feb 17, 2020

A deeply complex epic that avoids the often cheep romanticizing you get from similar films made during WWII. Certain sequences (i.e. the duel) are way ahead of anything else being made at this time.

• Sep 03, 2018

This is an OK film which runs up to nearly 3 hours, it's a bit like 'Forrest Gump' or that ilk of movie, if you don't buy into the central character (which I almost never do) then you're going to be in for a hard time. Ultimately 3 hours is a long time to spend with anyone, especially someone you couldn't care less what happens to them.

• May 23, 2018

For a British Technicolour film made during WWII; this masterpiece certainly makes a great stand in the history of British cinema. Roger Livesey is definitely suited to the role of Clive Candy; an army figure based on David Low's 'Colonel Blimp'. The use of make-up during the WWII scenes most certainly depicts the 'Colonel Blimp' stereotype. The 40-year period involved provides a clear understanding of Candy's belief in common army tradition which is defied by other armies in WWII. Deborah Kerr definitely makes her mark in this film by portraying three different characters; each living in different stages during the 40-year span. This method is effective in maintaining the romantic theme because their influences has a great effect on Candy's life. Now the fact that Winston Churchill wanted this film banned upon release in 1943 makes this film all the more unique; especially as Anton Walbrook's character makes his mark as a German officer who at first rivals Candy, then eventually befriends him for life (despite an initial bitterness during and after WWI); especially when he moves to England from home to reconcile with Candy and support him in maintaining his leadership skills. To sum up; this film has great cinematography, a wonderful storyline combining romance, war and comedy; and most of all relatable characters. A good starter for those who have never seen a film directed by Powell & Pressburger.

• Jan 29, 2018

This is absolutely fascinating as a historical and historiographical document, if quite a jarring watch by modern standards. The themes of changing military codes, the solipsistic way the young see the old, and romantic regrets, are beautifully expressed. The performances are very good, especially Deborah Kerr who portrays three linked but distinct roles, and Anton Walbrook as a 'good' German (which must have been quite striking in the middle of WW2). Altogether impressive and worthwhile.

• Jul 13, 2017

A fantastic exploration of the career of an old general and a fascinating critique on the older British upper class that made the mistakes that led to World War 2. A well made, well acted film that is both highly enjoyable and thought provoking.