The Life Before Her Eyes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Life Before Her Eyes Reviews

May 15, 2016
Melodramatic and somewhat boring, but strong performances all around. Plus you can see me in it two times!
March 4, 2016
There's not a lot I can say about the story without ruining the film. It's quite a clever idea although you do feel a little bit robbed at the end if you haven't already sussed it all out, and the clues are there. The film itself was just a bit too slow and tedious.
January 2, 2015
A drama with just a small of amount of thriller mixed with mystery things. The movie jumps back and forth in the character's life story (Uma Thurman) . Story was decent along with some twists aswell. Anyway just an average movie , some will like it others will not i guess.
August 14, 2014
Really enjoyed this film. I love Evan Rachel Wood. (:
½ April 23, 2014
Great performances with an interesting concept still don't save this film.
April 17, 2014
I actually really enjoyed this film. I put it on to have in the background while doing some housework and ended up getting hooked. I'm not usually an Uma Thurman fan but her acting in this increased my expectation for her. The storyline kept me hooked throughout and the ending was one of those 'oh yeah!' moments.
½ April 16, 2014
The way the story unfolded was twisted enough to keep your attention, but it was a little slow. It is good enough for a watch and otherwise forgettable.
January 7, 2014
Uma Thurman and Evan Rachel Wood star in the dramatic thriller The Life Before Her Eyes. During a high school shooting two girls hide out in a bathroom and one of them is forced into making a choice that haunts the rest of her life. It's a rather intricate story that's told in flashbacks; so as to build suspense and mystery as to what happen during the shooting. And, there are some interesting reveals that add an extra layer of subtext to the film. Additionally, Wood gives a particularly strong and dynamic performance that's quite compelling. The Life Before Her Eyes has some problems with its pacing, but overall it delivers a powerful message about the choices we make in life.
½ November 2, 2013
not as good as the director's first pic, 'the house of sand and fog" guess its the old 'sophmore curse"
October 19, 2013
I loved the film-one of my all time favorites-I DO recommend - to those that were confused; i don't understand why--even if you had questions along the way; which the viewer was supposed to--it did make perfect sense at the end---wish it was available on cable--
½ September 16, 2013
A very well crafted, beautiful and thoughtful film.
September 11, 2013
The Life Before Her Eyes is a suspenseful, unconventional film that features two beautiful young women who are close friends and whom, during a school massacre, are forced to choose which of them will die at the hands and gun of a fellow student/classmate. Some great special features are included with this very nicely designed dvd. 10/10
May 30, 2013
It's best to think of the school shooting here as a MacGuffin. (Or is this a secretly "pro-life" and/or religious film? Even so....) Constant foreboding/fear of danger (i.e. anxiety, hysteria), and nostalgia/regret/guilt (i.e. fear of living a wasted life), are of course typical features of the bourgeois housewife (and presenting slide-shows, I mean teaching art history, especially the Impressionists, doesn't at all make her any less a bourgeois housewife)--and not only the housewife. To say nothing of "living" like a "survivor"/victim/ghost (or whatever). Or is it that the teenager chooses death rather than the "perfect" (unattainable? fantasy?) bourgeois life? But why should anyone think those were the only available options?!
May 27, 2013
This is an emotional and gripping tale. I was very pleased with the writting and direction of the film. The cinematography was outstanding. This is one of the most exciting art films ever produced. I'd say this film is on par with anything Danny Boyle or Paul Thomas Anderson has directed.
½ April 24, 2013
past and present going paralely.. how it cud be if it was different in past?!
April 3, 2013
With Uma Thurman . Interesting though melancholic story but quite complex due to continuous flashbacks > the solution of the story is in the end ,but did not persuade me
March 17, 2013
Good movie; reminding us a superficial life, is no life to lead. & reminds one of what really is important
½ March 10, 2013
I liked the story, but unfortunately it suffers from lackluster script and/or directing. It felt over-dramatized, too repetitive and drawn out, almost to the point where it was seemingly stretched to fill 90-min runtime.
½ February 6, 2013
This film gives the audience so many sign posts along the way of what is really going on that you may be forgiven for feeling a little stupid for not catching on until the end of the movie. You are bombarded with an exceptional amount of imagery and as the lives of the teenage and adult Diana intertwine I found myself getting sucked into their story. My main problem with this film was the depressing ending, although on that note it is what keeps me thinking about this movie which raises it to the 3.5 rating. You either wont get this movie and forget it soon after or it will continue to re-enter your thoughts - my experience is of course the latter. There are plenty of holes one could poke in this screenplay but I enjoyed the ride so choose not to explore them.
½ January 23, 2013
I found this movie very confusing which caused it to be uninteresting