Life Is Hot in Cracktown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life Is Hot in Cracktown Reviews

½ October 9, 2014
This movie is beyond bad. No, I'm not one of those people who requires a Hollywood ending or a movie to shed some positive light at the end of films to show some amount of hope. The one (and ONLY) thing redeeming about this movie is that there isn't an ounce of hope in it. Sometimes life just sucks, and this movie shows the worst of life. Unfortunately it also shows some of the worst performances and directing I've ever seen. The movie is just plain bad.
December 1, 2013
Pointless. If you like to see people abusing others and themselves, and self-destructing, then okay. But, there's nothing in here which helps you become a richer and deeper person. Life sucks, you hurt a bunch of people so their life sucks, then you die.
November 18, 2013
hardcore movie but great
½ September 29, 2013
This was an awful movie. Every individual story is dark and depressing. The cast was amazing, but it wasn't a movie that I would recommend to anyone.
½ March 11, 2013
Grim movie telling the story of junkies and their lives.
December 11, 2012
A insight into the lives of different people who live in cracktown, as well as the struggles they go through. It was entertaining to some degree but it was had to identify with most of the characters except the shop keeper & the young boy but it was also difficult. Not a great movie.
½ November 30, 2012
Decent movie. Washington and Rasuk gave brilliants performances. Not a movie for the masses. Most will not be able to relate to the characters. This is not a feel good story. It's about real life and there are no happy endings.
April 6, 2012
This movie was AWESOME!
½ February 15, 2012
Wednesday, February 15, 2012

(2009) Life Is Hot In Cracktown
DRAMA

Somewhat of a raw documentary drama style film based on the stories told through Buddy Giovinazzo's novel of the same name who also wrote and directed it. The film although not for everyone since anyone can see something like this on some documentary channel or another about pushers and low lifes, but the thing is that the film does have an ending if not a satisfying one, but have to go through all the retro tape to go there which just 'states' the characters without viewers able to identify with any of them until at least after the first hour! There's also a realistic feel to the characters since it's centered on the poor side of town portraying a particular neighborhood unnoticed and often ignored by civilized residents and hard not to look. Style is similar to (1995) Kids and Bully of (2001)!

3 out of 4
February 6, 2012
Indie actor showcase with some trite writing at times, but grimy nonetheless.
August 31, 2011
Not a bad flick, somewhat interesting
½ August 29, 2011
This is garbage. There's no reason to follow the lives of a single character involved, they're all one-dimensional losers. The writer doesn't convey anything more than an outsider's glimpse into the subject matter. This movie relies on nothing more than shock value, and it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer. All that's on display is a bunch of idiots abusing themselves, children, women, and the elderly. This is void of any artistic value, avoid.
½ August 2, 2011
This is a really good movie. Not for kids to watch though, so make sure their not in the room.
½ July 15, 2011
Life Is Hot In Cracktown is a highly dramatized urban drama packed with grimy street violence and lots of drug use. Anyone thrilled by plots involving such content will be pleased with this movie. I admired how Giovinazzo managed to evenly split the focus on all of the main characters rather than putting too much focus on just one. The multi-directional plotline turned out to be pretty good, lined with intriguing characters and their struggles for survival. Overall a decent drama.
½ July 9, 2011
"Precious" meets the Wire. I felt kinda ill watching it.
Well acted though.
June 25, 2011
It has that same bleak vibe that "Requiem for a Dream" had 10 years ago. However, this movie is nothing compared to Aronofsky's masterpiece. I liked the urban neo-realism that Buddy Giovinazzo used in this film; telling a story of how crack has destroyed one little block in Los Angeles through the lives of multiple people. What mainly killed it for me was that the characters were interesting but only 1 or 2 of them really got the necessary camera time to develop.
May 31, 2011
the movie was raw and gritty. several scenes struck a chord and i was genuinely feeling grief and pain for the characters. however, i found myself following only two or three of the story lines. so there was definitely a lack of flow and connection with the rest of the stories. nevertheless, i would recommend this movie....
½ May 13, 2011
Very powerful. Very reflective and also makes you think, is America REALLY this big ass dream everyone seems to think they are living in just because they live in gated communities and never SEE what's really up?
½ May 6, 2011
Not a Bad flick. Not very realistic but it try's. Not anywhere near HBO show "The Wire". "Life Is Hot in Cracktown" tells the story of several characters and their addiction problems. I saw it on Net Flix Instant Watch. I would recommend a viewing. The acting is a little bad. But the movie gets its point across. I like Urban Movies.
½ May 1, 2011
At first it was laughably bad, then just got annoying. Casting was miserable as only one or two actors had me convinced for a moment. Writing...please, don't get me started. I've seen other reviews talk about "realism." And quite honestly I think those reviews were written and posted by those involved in the...*ahem*...film. The stereotyping in this flop was to such extent I actually felt somewhat offended. It's as though the stereotypes from every other bad "druggie" movie were rolled into one. There's no connection with characters, no connection with story, sound is terrible, editing is terrible, writing is terrible....it doesn't get much worse.