Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows Reviews

July 2, 2014
A good film about a great legend. Tammy Blanchard shines as young Judy and Judy Davis blazes through Garland's final 25 years. Based on Lorna Luft's book, this bio-pic is very entertaining and enlightening.
December 21, 2013
well crafted bio=pic about judy garland
June 28, 2013
Excellent biography. Judy Davis was outstanding
December 22, 2012
pretty interesting .... that poor girl.. the tv producers got her hooked on drugs as a child.. they ruined her life.. such a horrible thing...
May 21, 2012
Judy Davis is wonderful as Judy Garland, she resembles the legendary star a lot. The film successes in showing Garland's raise to fame and quick downhill due to her mental problems and many addictions. There's something about this made - for - TV movies that HBO doesn't produce that just doesn't look well, I guess it is the pace of the story and the limited budget, maybe the format. I don't know. The other thing I didn't like very much was the lenght, too long.
April 21, 2012
Did not like the story. Was made up in parts not true to her life. The actors were not good.
January 11, 2012
Judy Davis does an excellent job, portraying an Icon, like Judy Garland. I enjoyed the film from start to finish. I recommend this movie.
June 30, 2011
Incredible casting! It really brings her family's story to life! It's a shame what she went through, and this film brings a better understanding of the circumstances.
April 6, 2011
A biopic very well told. It mainly focused on the "sad" or "bad" part of the biggest star and legend "Judy Garland" but nonetheless is a must see for her fans. Judy Davis does an excellent portrayal of Judy Garland but I'm glad that when ever she had to sing they used Judy Garland's voice. I cried at the end obviously. I hope they make another movie of the life of Judy Garland and this time they focus more on her talent and her greatest accomplishments because her concerts are still legendary and her movies are classics that even after more than 40 years since Judy Garland died she is still one of the best entertainers the world has ever seen.
hunterjt13
January 29, 2011
Though it won critical accolades and multiple television awards, this film is truly awful. Most notably, the story doesn't have a discernible structure; Garland's life starts low, then goes up, then down, then up, then I don't even know. It's a roller coaster ride that loops every fifteen minutes, and the film needs a guiding hand to help us understand the significance of what we're watching. Indeed, though the film presents these characters honestly, I don't understand what the filmmakers are saying about these people. Why is their story significant? What can we learn from them? How can these particulars become universal? There is shallow attempt at such a theme in the film's last line, but this comes off as abstract moralizing and is too late to give the film any skeleton.
Judy Davis does what contemporary Judy Davis does best: scream and carry on. She doesn't sing, allowing lip synching and some guy backstage with a boombox to do all the work.
Overall, this film ends up being moralistic bullshit, and we have to navigate mountains of pointlessness to get there.
November 7, 2010
it's the greatest re-creation of Judy Garland's life story one could ever see. Davis did an excellent portrayal of this exceptional legend.
July 30, 2010
an amazing, if not corny movie. It's over the top but it still has amazing performances!
March 29, 2010
love it
with many great performs
March 24, 2010
A very effective account about the life of Francis Gumm (aka Judy Garland). Judy Davis gives an admirable performance.
January 20, 2010
I absolutely love this film
Judy Davis nailed it as Judy Garland :D
October 18, 2009
A brilliant adaptation of her daughter Lorna's book! Judy Garland was one of my idols growing up, even though she was already gone. I tried out for "The Wizard of Oz" in 8th grade because of her - and landed the part of the Wicked Witch of the West. Oh well... Tammy Blanchard as young Judy and Judy Davis as older Judy were both fantastic. During the scenes depicting the filming of "...Oz", I had to remind myself that it was Tammy portraying Judy and not the real movie. Judy Garland wasn't a perfect human being but her talent and determination were what always made me admire her. A victim of the old studio systems, the damage was done in adolescence but as the movie says at the end - to think of their family as tragic is missing the point. The only tragedy is that Judy left this world way too young. Run, don't walk, to see this miniseries!
September 21, 2009
I reember her in the Wizard of Oz. I'm watching her in the judgement at Nuremberg right now.
August 29, 2009
Although a tv movie, I enjoyed this one. My mother was a huge fan of Garland and her movies seem to have rubbed off on me. The actress' performance was amazing.
August 10, 2009
I liked it, but I like anything with and/or about Judy Garland.
July 15, 2009
This is a very good movie about Judy Garland.