Light Keeps Me Company Reviews

Jonny B Super Reviewer
    Dec 26, 2010

A must see. Insightful look at the greatest cinematographer.

A must see. Insightful look at the greatest cinematographer.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    May 20, 2010

[font=Century Gothic][color=red]"Mr. Death" is an Errol Morris documentary about Fred Leuchter. Mr. Leuchter is an engineer by trade who specialized in building and repairing capital punishment devices(gallows, gas chamber, lethal injection, electric chair, etc) for various states. He is a proponent of the death penalty. What he is seeking to do is to create humane and safe executions.(A humane execution being an oxymoron if there ever was one...) I have to admit I learned quite a bit about executions in this documentary and that there is much more involved than just flipping a switch. [/color][/font] [font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000][/color][/font] [font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000]The second part of the documentary shows off Leuchter's lack of ethical thinking to full effect. He went to Auschwitz on behalf of a Holocaust denier(I'm being polite when I use that term), so that he could find proof that there were no gas chambers there.(It is clearly historical fact that there were gas chambers there.) As testified by an expert on the Holocaust, Leuchter is ill-equipped for the task. [/color][/font] [font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000][/color][/font] [font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000]At best, Leuchter never considers what the ramifications his research will have. At worst, he is a full participant in the cause of Holocaust denial which is clearly wrong and hateful. Leuchter goes from something of an eccentric to being a monster in the viewer's eyes.[/color][/font] [font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000][/color][/font] [font=Century Gothic][color=black][/color][/font] [font=Century Gothic][color=black]"Light Keeps Me Company" is a loving tribute to legendary cinematographer, Sven Nykvist, directed by his son, Carl-Gustav Nykvist. The documentary consists of interviews with many of his collaborators including Ingmar Bergman, Liv Ullman, Susan Sarandon, and Woody Allen, along with his fellow cinematographers. I thought this film filled in some of the blanks of his life including personal details.(Although, I would have felt better if they had not mentioned Nykvist's affair with Mia Farrow.) Nykvist retired due to a condition called aphasia which limits his communication skills. I would have liked to have gotten more of his input on the films he helped to make.[/color][/font]

• Dec 24, 2008

A passionate genius and probably a pretty cool guy to have a beer with too.

A passionate genius and probably a pretty cool guy to have a beer with too.

• Sep 20, 2008

En dokumentar-fabel om en av verdens mest ettertraktede filmfotografer: Sven Nykvist!!! Fantastisk!

• Jul 13, 2008

Interesting and enjoyable to watch but not particularly groundbreaking as documentaries go. More of an homage than a bio. Could have shown more of his work and less photo montages of the man himself . . . but after all, his son made it.

• May 11, 2008

Some sublime moments (mostly having to do with Ingmar Bergman) make this somewhat bland and superficial documentary worthwhile. A bit shapeless.

• Mar 25, 2008

"When you have light, you needn't anything else." Sven Nykvist. This documentary is a good look into the life, and personality of one of the best cinematographers in the history of film!

• Nov 02, 2007

Sven Nykvist is a fascinating cinematographer. This documentary captured the emotions and sentiments of some of the people he worked closest with through out his career. A captivating mind.