Like Crazy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Like Crazy Reviews

½ July 6, 2014
For anyone who has been or is currently in a long distance relationship, this movie will hit home for them. A movie with such raw elements even to a regular relationship.

'Like Crazy' is directed by Drake Doremus and it stars Anton Yelchin, Felicity Jones, Jennifer Lawrence, Oliver Muirhead and Charlie Bewley.

In this beautifully crafted and elegantly made romantic drama we are given a real life taste into a
strong and deep relationship. I would classify this as an indie film as it's evidently shown in it's style and it's isn't Hollywoodized or fancied up in any way.
'Like Crazy' tells the complex story of a couple in a long distance relationship. Jacob(Anton Yelchin) and Anna(Felicity Jones), she being from England, meet at an American school and they hit it off in spectacular fashion. Their love is vibrant, beautiful, young and true. It's only until Anna's spontaneous and regrettable decision to stay in the country while violating her visa agreement begins a rocky and difficult outcome creating their time together being extremely valuable and their futures looking rather unknown.

The movie mainly and only focuses on the couple of Jacob(Anton Yelchin) and Anna(Felicity Jones) and their emotional need for each each other. At the start of their first meeting and progressively through every additional scene they're in together do we see a strong and believable relationship. With the great direction of Drake Doremus we get this realistic approach to how couples feed off each other's jokes, feelings and their nonsense. In the end with true love being existent, forgiveness and each other is all they and anyone needs. I find that the chemistry between these two is excellent, they seemed really cute with each other too and their appearance and role were very fitting to the vision that director Drake Doremus may have been going for. Overall it worked really well.

This story takes on a couple of creative complications. I won't spoil others but the initial complication is the fact that Anna(Felicity Jones) overstayed her visa and that I believe this pushes it to a more urgent need and creates a more serious problem for our characters. In most dramas that involve a couple they would go for something very general and common that we've seen before. Perhaps a boyfriend cheats or the girl is pregnant, we've practically heard of it already. Here the large separation between them allows us to feel something even more for them like there's something missing(I'm sure it'll take someone with a long distance experience to understand).

What I find to be the worrying part is that it could present itself as a little boring and may have audiences looking at their watches or seeing how long of the movie is left. There is no doubt that this film likes to take its time however I also don't see that any scenes are potentially wasted. In regards to the vibrance of most scenes the first act of the movie seems to be the most elegant and heart warming. With the understanding of their relationship on the rocks I get how and why the serious and slow pacing may be simply enhancing the seriousness of the situation. I would not think that most audiences would understand the message or reasoning behind it and will find it a little less interesting than they expected.

'Like Crazy' tells a love tale like no other. Yes it still has it problems but the reality of a young, loving couple is present and you simply can't help but feel for them as they go through this hard moment in their lives.
Having been in a long distance relationship myself, this movie hit me in the right spots and allowed me to understand and appreciate what's important in my own life. In a way it nearly replicates a difficult era of my life, a little personal something I feel like sharing you.
June 26, 2014
Most annoying couple ever.
½ June 17, 2014
A wonderful emotional love story. I loved this movie a lot more than I anticipated. It loses half a star for the sudden abrupt awkward ending that leaves you wondering. Still worth a watch and it's a movie I'd watch again!
½ June 13, 2014
SO BORING. DO NOT FALL FOR THE HYPE.
½ June 2, 2014
Great approach in a common issue :)
May 31, 2014
Well that was one heck of a roller coaster ride; and a realistic one at that. We should all be able to relate to some situation or another where circumstances always seem to be against you, despite feeling like its meant to be. Lets be together, no wait on second thought maybe we should...well actually. Lets just wait, and ache every moment in between until who knows?
May 30, 2014
This movie is pretty good. I felt like ending was a little disconnected and leaves you going, "okay..." Over all though, it was good, the love story seems more realistic than a lot of love stories in movies these days. No matter who else they love their love between each other is too powerful to be broken and they have to decide that's all that matters to them. It's slow moving and drags in lots of places, also a little bit boring. I didn't love it, but I liked it alright.
½ May 23, 2014
I expected more than what happened. Storyline was all a bit pointless. Hopefully it was well acted.
May 11, 2014
Not my favorite. Good score. Moral of the story never over stay your student visa
May 5, 2014
My favourite movie soundtrack.
April 30, 2014
In a deviation from the usual trite romantic pieces, Drake Doremus gives us an honest piece about the trappings of love and how people react when they are not in a position to allow that love to evolve properly due to unforeseen circumstances. The acting is subtle and genuine.
April 30, 2014
Intense, heartbreaking and beautiful depiction about long-distance relationship and Felicity Jones is brilliant!
April 20, 2014
surprisingly different and good.
April 19, 2014
We have all seen them before. Movies about a young couple, dealing with loads of stuff.
Breaking up, having pauses, meeting others, bla bla bla. This film is this.

If not original or exciting, this is a pretty film. It's not boring and it's not a film that you doesn't care for while watching it. The casting is quite cool - new faces for me, accept from Lawrence. The other girl is cute and she got a certain chemistry with the other lead.
The chemistry is a bit varied though and scenes tend to be a bit undirect. "Am I supposed to be happier now?" "Was this a sad scene?"

I do like the colors, the pace and the often simple, short scenes. This does not demand much from the viewer. An all right film, that most people can relate to. All right, but nothing more.

6 out of 10 chairs.
½ April 17, 2014
If your looking at it through how it portrays how love tends to be an how the immigration status goes then yes it's a good movie. Yet by going off my own preference no I didn't enjoy it it lagged and seemed stiff but that's my opinion.
April 17, 2014
it is at many moments mundane, juvenile and cheesy, but at others endearing, sweet and realistic.
April 5, 2014
I just don't see how anyone really enjoys watching two inconsiderate people hate each other for decades while calling it love. Recently there has been this trend of love stories about people doomed to repeat stupid decisions over and over again, never ending up with the person they are meant to be with. These films are oftentimes badly thought out and have super melodramatic stories that center on immature, useless individuals with little to no characteristics except their own selfishness and inability to commit. This story isn't as longwinded as "One Day" or as large as life as say "The English Patient" but it falls under this umbrella because of the length of their courtship and their eventual decline. Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin have zero to no chemistry in this, their characters are inane, their acting is over the top, and we jump through time with no explanation, at various points in the story, skewing what's happening on screen. The fact that Jennifer Lawrence shows up in a quick couple scenes is the only thing interesting about this, otherwise this is a clear snooze fest.
½ April 5, 2014
51%

This movie bugged me like crazy.
April 4, 2014