Like Father, Like Son Reviews

• Jul 02, 2019

It's interesting to see the two different styles of upbringing these kids have lived in. You've got the strict, disciplined type and the fun loving, relaxed type. Pretty heartbreaking but also not too harsh and brutal. Kind of made me tear up at some points. Great movie.

• Feb 01, 2019

An interesting film but for me it never really completely catches the interest or your heart-strings. I found throughout that I struggled to get over the central conceit of the whole movie, it never felt believable and their actions often felt unlikely. Some of the relationship examinations and actions here are great, but it didn't wrap up into a satisfying whole for me.

• Jan 09, 2019

After watching a series of average movies I usually feel in need to immerse myself in something good, and Hirokazu Koreeda turned out to be my certainty. I cannot recall any other writer / director with such an impressive body of work. Someone might argue that the style, the genre is always the same. Well, let them argue and go watch every single creation of this man. "Like Father, Like Son" is another masterpiece: a family tale full of humanity and heart. Like all the other films, the details and the direction are the perfect frame for a perfect picture. My only fear: what will I do when I will, soon, finish them?

• Dec 16, 2018

I'm the only person I know who's seen this film! I thought it was very thought-provoking and interesting and liked it a lot.

• Sep 27, 2018

Ryouta learns that raising a son isn't just about teaching him, but also spending time with him

• Apr 09, 2018

A very delicate and introspective film. Subtlety and quiet was the name of the game for this film. Everything was very thoughtful and grounded, very realistic. It almost felt like a documentary because of how real the characters seemed. This movie deals with a subject that could've easily been made into a melodramatic mess, but it seems like the people behind this film remained level headed, and made this mature little window into the subject matter. I felt respected as a viewer, and was very impressed by how much this movie made me think of my own life experience regarding these issues. The characters were all very honestly portrayed. Just normal Japanese people from different classes. There was a lot of insight into a myriad of Japanese social issues. It was very fascinating to be able to look into these issues from such a genuine point of view. From the inside out, and not from above through hard facts and statistics. From a technical standpoint, this movie was very restrained. The visuals were crisp and clear, very tasteful, but not flashy, as is fitting with the subject matter. The music was mellow and introspective. Fitting as well. It's an overall very gentle and quiet film. If you choose to watch it, go into it patiently.

• Feb 13, 2018

Not the best of Koreeda, but significant and engaging.

Not the best of Koreeda, but significant and engaging.

• Nov 16, 2017

A beautiful and powerful movie.

A beautiful and powerful movie.

• Aug 17, 2017

Both heart-breaking and heart-warming, Koreeda shows an incredible eye for visuals as well as being able to combine them with the right music at the right time in order to create powerful scenes that are not only fantastically well written, but also well-acted by this talented cast. The story feels realistic, as do the characters, and although the last 30 mins. or so seem a bit rushed leaving little time to explore the emotions involved in the resolution of the presented dilemma, in the end, the importance of the message being delivered trumps everything else.

• Aug 02, 2017

What is a family? And how much do you have to go through to understand it? This movie is not a tragedy but gentle exploration of those questions for 2 families whose sons were swapped at birth in the hospital. The answers end up being redeeming for some of the characters and heart warming for the viewers.