Like Water for Chocolate (Como Agua para Chocolate) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Like Water for Chocolate (Como Agua para Chocolate) Reviews

September 30, 2016
My favorite movie ever! I love how the concept of food's affect on the soul was taken over the top. Historical fiction makes it even better. Great characters & unpredictable ending. Love it! Porque de esa pelicula he endendido hablar español!
½ September 20, 2016
I love this movie. If you have the chance to see it on the big screen, take it
½ March 24, 2016
This was a good movie well worth watching
½ March 13, 2016
It's like any foreign flick in its own way of being masterful through the performances and its tasteful storytelling technique, especially when the story put a nice resolve to the sporadic negativity that place this between watchable and enjoyable. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ February 5, 2016
Like Water for Chocolate is a sensual, poignant, passionate love song to the pleasures of exquisite foods and forbidden love.
January 23, 2016
I was a huge fan of the book, meriting at least two rereadings. Perhaps I had some great expectations about the movie that it somehow underdelivered.
September 2, 2015
Just fell flat for me. Never cared about Tita and Pedro as a potential couple, or pretty much anyone else. Felt a little sorry for Tita, but that was about the biggest feeling I had about this one.
June 27, 2015
Too much senseless drama and not enough food. The characters were stereotypical and the end seemed rushed and just bla. I thought maybe this might be a story I could get behind but found myself board and eye rolling at it.
½ June 17, 2015
Engaging drama.

Set in Mexico in the early-1900s, the story of a girl and her oppressive, tyrannical mother. In her teens, the girl falls in love with a boy and they want to get married. The mother is determined that the girl will never marry, as she has to look after her. Drama and intrigue follows...

Initially a very suffocating movie, as you feel how the girl is oppressed and deprived of her free will by her evil mother. You keep hoping that she will run away, or do something to break free.

Then follows a spell of liberty, and probably the most wonderful part of the movie. The shackles have been removed and she can now be herself and follow her dreams and loves.

However, just when you thought that was the precursor to a happy ending, the movie loses focus. It suddenly gets quite weird, complete with ghosts, and ultimately becomes a soap opera. The last few scenes are pure soap, and diminish the value of what came before them.

Overall - good, but could have been brilliant.
April 26, 2015
Like Water for Chocolate is an amazing film. It is about a young woman who discovers that her cooking has magical effects. Marco Leornardi and Lumi Cavazos give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Alfonso Arau did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Like Water for Chocolate is a must see.
February 25, 2015
A passionate tale of love lost and regained!
September 22, 2014
Such a sad love story.
½ September 11, 2014
Wasn't the most sensible movie. But it was deeply sensuous and the food was definitely part of it.
September 7, 2014
I recently revisited this film which I had not seen since its release. And, it still struck me the same way: lazy surrealism. Perhaps the book is better. But I found it sappy and faux-erotic.
August 24, 2014
Excellent story of love, passion & hope!
July 24, 2014
buenísimo este clasico mexicano
½ July 17, 2014
i liked some ideas about the movie and the ending was pretty good, but overall the story and the characters did not grab my emotions and only some things were interesting about the characters..
July 14, 2014
½ May 18, 2014
I had never even heard of this film until I randomly stumbled upon it at a store and became intrigued by the premise of the film, and also that it was part of Miramax's Award-Winning Collection, which has yet to disappoint me. I'm glad I picked it up because I got a damn good romantic drama out of it.

The film focuses on a forbidden romance based on family tradition. Tita and Pedro are in love with each other, but Tita is bound by family tradition to take care of her mother until she dies, and thus cannot marry until that point. So, to be close to his love, Pedro marries her sister, Rosaura.

As her mother is aware of their love for each other, Tita is forced to be the family cook, and this is her only means of being able to express her love for Pedro, or even her emotions (Thanks to her controlling bitch of a mother who seems to hate her). For some the food is delicious, while for others the emotions contained within the food are too much to handle.

The film follows the lives of the family members during the course of the years and naturally, the growing passion and love between Tita and Pedro which can't stay apart for long before their passion and desires collide.

Like Water For Chocolate is a fascinating and compelling romantic drama with minor elements of fantasy thrown in. It's a very delectable and seductive film filled with romance, sexual tension, delicious food, family drama, and a whole lot more within a relatively short 105 minutes. The plot is very interesting, especially in the ways that it blended so many elements together seamlessly.

Bolstering the terrific plot is the phenomenal acting, especially from the two leads, Lumi Cavazos and Marco Leonardi who display genuine chemistry and passion for one another. You grow to believe in their forbidden romance and the rest of the actors are also quite good in their performances.

Like Water For Chocolate is an excellent film about love, forbidden desires, delicious foods, changing times, family traditions, and more. If you love a good romance film, this is not one to miss.