Lila Says - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lila Says Reviews

November 22, 2017
Lila Says [Ziad Doueiri, 2005, France] Anything involving cross-culture captures my attention intently. 6/10
February 15, 2013
A very well scripted film. Others have said it all here...
November 26, 2012
Saw this on late night and was disappointed. You can talk all you want, but if nothing is gonna happen, then I am on my way. You know what I mean?
½ August 8, 2012
I found the story interesting, but I have seen better movies on the thme.
March 2, 2012
Very cool style and excellent writing. Good music, too!
½ January 27, 2012
nice strange romantic movie
½ May 11, 2011
Compelling themes of minority life in the slums of Paris and pressure on Muslim-Arabs against interracial dating are trumped too heavily by the lolita sex fantasy centralized by the screenwriter.
½ April 26, 2011
amazing piece of work. One of my favorite foreign films I actually own.
March 13, 2011
Words cannot describe how I feel about this movie. I cannot believe I am 23 and haven't seen this movie until now
March 13, 2011
Giocant is explosive! the cast is wonderful, the story immersing, the ending heartbreaking. I was mesmerized throughout the whole thing. Simply delightful.
March 10, 2011
Wow, a sexed up version of The Usual Suspects. I was going to watch a documentary but they seemed boring, so a romantic comedy seemed in order (but I don't like watching real movies on my laptop), so I went foreign in the "steamy romance" category. Like many other foreign films, it rises to a nice level of sensuality and emotion with basically no actual nudity. Bravo!

It's French, so the language helps set the mood as a new girl in the neighborhood becomes a tease of sort to a local Arab boy. She uses raw language, and I was ready to count this as a strike against the movie...over selling the sex and all that, until the ending suggests what it was really all about. A scene near the start is the most sexual and enticing of the entire movie. She is riding a moped in a short skirt, evidently with nothing underneath, and gives him a ride. This is the only slight nudity scene, but it's well-done and that one scene, if done consistently through the movie, would have been gold.

Throughout, this girl tells stories of her sexual endeavors. They are believable when she wants them to be. She is obviously damaged by the death of her parents and her pedophilic (is that a word?) aunt, so it is not unreasonable to believe her stories, especially given her forward behavior toward the boy.

Won't spoil it for anyone, but turns out to be a pretty solid drama. The steamy romance thing never really lived up to its billing and I think I wish it would have. The lead actress was quite attractive. Still, though many movies can pull that off and still be serious, I think it would have damaged this one. The story really plays itself out in a nice fashion and makes for a dramatic finish.
½ January 2, 2011
Dramatical love story including the stunningly beautiful Lila and the gentle Arab boy. Lila is a very mysterious girl and she is always acting like a big tease, talking about sex with Chimo all the time even if Chimo just listen and rearly keep the conversation going. Lila have some great quotes and use some great metaphores so you can understand Chimo at this point I guess - it's lovely just to sit and listen to her.

The story is cool and realistic in a way, the performances and cinematography is also wonderful. The close-up shots of Laila and her lovely eyes make you fall in love with her. It made me think "God, please exist in the real world". The ending wraps things up pretty good, leaving it open but it's also serving you a great little twist.

A very good flick that deserves a watch. Especially if you're a young man or maybe you even should give it a go and watch it with a fresh flirt of yours.
½ December 23, 2010
je naime pas son visage, mais les idees..
November 20, 2010
Despite any description anywhere to the contrary, there is no NR Region 1 flavor of the film. Sony fogged and/or clipped all visual sexual content in order to distribute a film well inside the R rating.

A 19 year-old Marseilles man (Khouas) idles away life in his Arab banlieue (ie, ghetto) with three pals who are more natural at being low-life hoodlums than he. His French teacher asks him to submit a novella to gain admittance to a writer's school in Paris, but he declines, as it is easier for "a loser to stay with losers."

However Paris won't be denied - and it immediately arrives in the form of Lila (Giacante), a gorgeous 16 year-old blonde Lolita. Giacante's no small talker when it comes to her sexual persona, making her every young man's dream come true - and a dream that compels Khouas to steal a notebook and start a diary.

Each meeting with Lila reveals to Khouas yet another, more prurient layer of Giacante's desires and experiences. As Khouas slowly becomes ever more enraptured and consumed by his Parisian Muse, Giacante also becomes the cause of a widening rift between Khouas and the street life that is the only world he has ever known.

The viewer's patience is rewarded as, slowly, what Giacante is really truly saying to Khouas - and how she is saying it - is revealed.

In this film, the plot's the thing; the acting is not terribly impressive. Aside from his voiceover narration, Khouas delivers the viewer mostly silence and emotionless expression. While Giacante is a sultry and captivating vision to behold, she plays her role more as the model than the actor.

Recommended foremost on the strength of its crafted writing.
October 7, 2010
???? ????? ???? ????? ?? ??? ???? ???? ???? ?? ????? ?? ?????? ?????
½ September 19, 2010
I was looking forward to see Vahina Giocante in another movie after seing her in 99 Francs. I thought that she was chosen to play this role, only because she had a great physic, but I was wrong she really can grab those few feelings and pass them along to you. Mohammed Khouas who played Chimo was well in his shoes, he gave the right image of the lost and borred teen who doesn't have anything exciting in his life untill Lila comes in his life and rock his world. Great movie, it's really worth watching it.
½ September 10, 2010
Una rubia precoz y fantasiosa le cambia la vida a un chico de origen árabe que no espera mucho de la vida. Muy buena.
½ July 2, 2010
Realistic, dramatic without loss of intrigue. Scenes and details quite familiar. Cinematagraphy amazing. The POV shots lingered at times but with such lovely faces to gaze at this is not in any way a complaint.
June 19, 2010
All style & no story or substance, in the European film tradition. This "coming-of-age" story goes nowhere. SPOILER ALERT. Mohammed Khouas, as Chimo, gives a credible performance. His romantic interest, Lila, played by Vahina Giacante, is attractive & gives an OK performance. But, there isnt much to the story. This girl talks up sex as a tease, in a wholly unbelivable way (there is a kernal of truth here). Altho, she does jerk off Chimo on their 2nd meeting ... strange ... becuz neither of them goes back to that activity later on. She lives w/ an aunt (parents apparently deceased) who likes to look at her pussy ... strange ... & very unlikely.

Almost nothing happens in this entire film. Not in the main story, nor among any supporting characters.

A very unsatisfying film. Dont bother.