Lilja 4-ever Reviews

• Jul 03, 2019

This movie reminded me of the bleak Russian landscapes that Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko novels inhabit. There are no grown-ups in Lilya's world, in the sense of an adult who feels any sense of obligation to do right for children, even teenagers. Exploit or abandon are the only options.

• Apr 29, 2017

Movie about a young teen girl from Russia whose mother abandons her. She is left alone to fend for and feed herself and its heartbreaking. Really well told and directed. I really felt for this girl. I wanted so bad to help her. This has some hardcore sex scenes so its not for children. Be warned.

• Nov 04, 2016

emotional and thought provoking film. I would highly recommend it.

emotional and thought provoking film. I would highly recommend it.

• Aug 07, 2016

the most tragic story I've ever seen, to the extent that it is scary that this could be reality.

• Dec 04, 2015

Um tiro doeria menos que esse filme.

Um tiro doeria menos que esse filme.

• Nov 22, 2015

One of the saddest films I've ever seen. I understand it's a true story about a young girl living in, as the film states at the beginning "Somewhere in the former soviet union". It's actually set in a run-down dump of a place on the Estonian coast. The bleakness of this place sends shivers down your spine and you can't help feel sorry for this girl just for living there, let alone for what happened to her once her mother abandoned her. A very gritty story which not fail to sadden and disturb. Excellent performance by the previously unknown (to me) star of the film too.

• Jul 03, 2015

Lukas Moodysson's social realist drama is a relentlessly grim and hard to stomach depiction of teen prostitution in eastern Europe that's worth enduring thanks in no small part to Akinsjina's heart wrenching, scarily real turn as Lilya. Her plight is the plight of child sex workers all around the world and you'd have a heart of stone if you were left unaffected by it. Yet in the midst of all this misery lies a strangely life affirming message.

• May 28, 2015

http://letterboxd.com/zbender/film/lilya-4-ever/ This film was one of the more disheartening I have seen in a long time. It comes with a very simple, but still powerful message. This film didn't necessarily enhance the message (the message to me was to essentially live long/prosper despite all the misery you may endure). But it still is powerful to those who forget how important this one life is. The movie did not essentially jump out to me, besides the powerful narrative, the main character Lilja, and what she endures. Despite all the bad that we may endure there are always better days.

• May 26, 2015

Despite it's shaky final act and questionable use of music, director Lukas Moodysson is triumphant in his attempts at unforgiving social realism. The film's setting of a down-trodden, former Soviet union town and it's use of washed out greys are bleak enough, so when all goes horribly wrong for Lilja it's not surprising that it seems somewhat melodramatic. Regardless of it's flaws Lilja 4-Ever's savior is found in the performance of Oksana Akinshina, as an audience we cannot help but be drawn into her world completely and see what she sees (at some points, literally). Moodysson uses this as device for the audience to experience her suffering, though from the comfort of our armchairs, resulting in a somewhat bittersweet self-awareness, maybe this was his intention all along? With prominent themes of sexual exploitation and human trafficking, Lilja 4-Ever is mostly difficult viewing but there is redemption, maybe not the kind Lilja deserves but certainly the best we can expect from her situation. A film like this is important viewing for Western audiences, it's a small dose of reality, not sugar-coated although sometimes stylized and mostly honest.

• Dec 26, 2014

Really realistic and tragic masterpiece about the life of a young girl in the old Soviet Union. A true Masterpieces.