Limbo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Limbo Reviews

½ March 23, 2017
John Sayles has always known how to write, and this film is no exception. his backdrop feels alive and the conflicts behind the curtain set up a world of limbo even before the metaphoric limbo takes place. But the film wants us to see these characters struggle with what they are, and reinvent themselves in the light of dire circumstances. It may have worked if only we hadn't seen the characters take steps toward redemption that felt like they were leading somewhere. They weren't, and the ending (well, lack-there-of) and the film's attempt at a metaphor at "writing your own story to your life when the story ends" is much to far into the 2 hour film to make in real resonance with the first hour fifteen. Still, it's well made, even if it isn't really that put together.
March 23, 2017
How low can you go? Not much lower than this amateurish, pretentious, steaming heap of terrible. The main character is named Adam Moses, or crying out loud! Shot in "cinematic" black and white digital video, it wants to be "Run, Lola, Run" as directed by Ingmar Bergmann. Not even close. It's ponderous, preachy, frequently incoherent, rife with bad acting and incompetent dialogue. Flixster has the 2004 clunker directed by Thomas Ikimi mixed up with a 1999 film with the same name from John Sayles. Don't be confused, even though you'll probably want to forget Ikimi's cinematic miscarriage ASAP.
Best John Sayles movie.
March 23, 2017
Best of this movie is Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio siging Tom Wait´s Heart of Saturday Night. Nice landscapes next to the sea too.
March 23, 2017
A fantastic film that's a great "test" movie. People either get it or don't. The acting is superb, there are no special effects, and it is dialogue driven. No wonder it's a cult film. The much talked about ending...I LOVED it! If you have no idea what this movie is about, see it with as little preconceptions as possible. Terrific flick.
½ March 23, 2017
Intriguing..kept you on the edge towards the end.
½ March 23, 2017
just another kris kristofferson film that I just had to see... and yet again david straitham is under-rated as a man in an emotional journey.
Infuriating and exhilarating.
March 23, 2017
if I don't like the end then I don't like the entire movie
½ March 23, 2017
Maybe the most surprising ending in movie history, an open ending that just stays with you for hours. But this movie did not come out in 2006, so please edit the entry
March 23, 2017
I'm not the kind to expect a tidy Hollywood ending. After careful consideration, I have concluded that this was a cop-out
mwilliams078
½ March 23, 2017
A good film that takes place in a small Alaskin village. This character study starring Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and David Srathairn shows a relationship between both a singer and a fisherman. What is lovely is that nothing is glamorized it is just examines a godo story between everyday people...well done film.
March 23, 2017
Fantastic! The oly frustrating thing is the ending...maybe that is why it is so good.
March 23, 2017
It was alright but quite misearble
March 23, 2017
One of the most mysterious films by Sayles, with great performances by Strathairn and Mastrantonio. The script is a bit sloppy, like in most of the master's late films, but the movie is still quite riveting.
March 23, 2017
this movie will leave you mad at the ending, but this film works on so many levels. and it was cool hearing tom waitt's "heart of a saturday night" sung by mastrantonio. look for the strong christmas overtones in this movie.
March 23, 2017
When I was in school, I thought "The Lady or the Tiger?" was a disappointing cop-out, a lazy writer, overly cutesy, or all of the above. Sayles makes it work.
March 23, 2017
I am largely a fan of Sayles (I loved "Lonestar"), but this one just didn't resonate with me. Too aimless. There are certainly points well worth your time though.
March 23, 2017
living and dying with limbo!! ultimate boring movie...I want to sleep whenever I heard this word "limbo"
March 23, 2017
Amazing film by John Sayles about a family who gets stranded on an Alaskan island. Powerful stuff.