Limelight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Limelight Reviews

December 2, 2014
I really like documentaries especially if they are about music due to the fact that i am an aficionado of almost any genre out there. It shows the gritty underworld of the club community. Exposing how no matter what club or venue, drugs will always be rampant and little to nothing can be done because of the pop culture that is inspired. An immigrant from Canada capitalizes on this club market and is in many ways sanctioned from continuing to thrive in an empire and network that he created. I like how government officials, DEA agents, prosecutors, informant/snitches, and the justice system is exposed as corrupted. If you are a fan of house music and the many forms of electronic music that house created, you should watch this film.
January 15, 2014
one-sided, thin, interesting.
December 4, 2013
A very interesting documentary centered around the mid 90's club scene in New York. It hits the rise of the rave culture and the take over of Rudy Giuiliani and the clean up of New York. It also covers ground covered by the movie "party monster" where a club kid commits a bizarre murder. Then exposes how being a target of government is unfair battle.
August 3, 2013
Great documentary about rise and fall of Canadian Peter Gatien who used to own all best nightclubs in New York City in 80's and 90's.
½ June 21, 2013
This movie was well done. I really enjoyed it. As someone who went to these clubs with a group of gal pals when we were teens (with parents permission & the clubs had under 21 nights) I really loved this movie. We went to all these clubs, tunnel, underground, limelight, palladium etc. I vaguely remember seeing people at the clubs dressed in strange outfits but at the time never gave it a thought. My friends and I never did drugs at these clubs nor were we aware that went on at them. I was shocked when I saw this movie at what really went down at the clubs. I would love to thank Peter Gatien for the good times I had with friends back then and the memories I have now of those times at his clubs. I think him not being allowed in the USA is a bit harsh not to mention silly. After seeing this movie I couldn't understand why Michael Alig was in jail for so long when it was self defense but then I saw Party Monster and now I am conflicted even though it was self defense, Michael chopping him up is insane, but then again he was heavy into drugs but then again Michael was destructive in a downward spiral and always mean to Angel going back to when they first met. Party Monster also made me see a side of Peter that is not portrayed in this movie is this because there is more to Peter's story & Peter's daughter made this movie & is bias. Either way, this movie, 54 and party monster blew my mind in so many way but mainly because I had no idea nor did my friends at the time that any of this went on while we were young and fancy free. I wonder what Michael will do when he gets out of jail, will he stay clean and what would Peter do if if was eventually allowed back into the USA.
January 14, 2013
Great documentary about club owner Peter Gatien, whose career also paralleled the rise of the rave and drug culture in NYC, which makes for an interesting time capsule look into that time period.

Good stuff, recommended.
January 4, 2013
Wow.. who knew there was so much drama behind this club. Cool doc of a club I still miss.
September 14, 2012
film very non apologetic for being bias, but interesting story
½ August 28, 2012
If you grew up in NYC in the 90's this is a film for you about the rise and fall of Peter Gatien and the Limelight night club
August 26, 2012
solid documentary- if you're a fan of Party Monster you'll like this.
½ August 23, 2012
80's-90's dance club owner. I got to go to the LIMELIGHT in the late 90's.
July 7, 2012
Great documentary of the owner of the limelight and tunnel.. A lot of good information I didn't know of.. Thank you
½ April 29, 2012
Limelight has a great story to tell about the New York club scene in the early 90's. However the documentary tries to cram to much unnecessary information in, leading the viewer to become confused. The amount of amazing subjects and collective characters interviewed for this film, it's no wonder that the doc spilled a little to much information. If they would slow down the pace, work on incorporating the music of the club into the soundtrack and embraced the story that ends the film this doc would have no problem becoming one of the greats!
April 5, 2012
Lord of the Night! Leaders of the Nightlife! Cool documentary.
March 31, 2012
Fascinating true story of politics and intrigue...
½ March 18, 2012
Social-drama documentary. Good movie. But overdone on the clubbed-up visual effects as backdrops for simple talking interviews. And it is mostly one-sided sympathetic to the main subject, Peter Gatien.
March 16, 2012
Director Billy Corben takes on the 90's ecstasy scene and the New York's DA department relentless pursuit of Peter Gaitien in "Limelight." It is an entertaining and informative look at the history of the Manhattan club scene. It is also an insightful glimpse at the rise and fall of MDMA's impact on nightclub life. Corben makes the film look aesthetically cool with bright colors that would be associated with people who are on ecstasy. He also manges to put to good use some stock footage of Gatien's trial coverage and the club scene in New York.
½ March 5, 2012
This documentary is worth your time, especially if you have ever went to a club.I thought it was great because it reminded me of the the late 90's when I was a teen and use to go out to the city.
March 1, 2012
a MUST SEE for those that know...
February 26, 2012
Pretty good doc about Gatiens club empire and how the US government will railroad you at any cost for no reason. Basically this killed off the super clubs and now I dont know what you're stuck with because I'm old.