Link Reviews

• Jan 12, 2021

It's more or less "Dunston Checks in at the Bates Motel"

It's more or less "Dunston Checks in at the Bates Motel"

• May 25, 2019

More monkey mayhem. It's a decent, if rather formulaic ape-gone-wild thriller, but it's kinda hard to find the main monkey menacing. He's just too harming and hilarious with all his shenanigans...

• Sep 15, 2017

Monkey goes amuck using all the slasher film tropes.

Monkey goes amuck using all the slasher film tropes.

• Aug 20, 2016

An obscure guilty pleasure with solid performances throughout. My only real gripe is how abruptly it ends.

• Nov 21, 2015

Link is creepy and delivers plenty of scares to solidify it as a rare 80's gem with a great and enjoyable performance by Elisabeth Shue and impressive physical work from Locke...the film's murderous titular ape.

• Apr 12, 2015

British monkey movie,filmed in Scotland.Probably the best British monkey movie ever produced.made in 1986.A killer Orangutang take`s the lead in this movie he is called link and has a crush on a human female companion,when all hell break`s loose.

• Oct 01, 2014

A young zoology student takes a job with a professor as his assistant working with three chimpanzees. When one chimp trained to be a perfect butler seems to figure out that he is to be put down, he kills the professor and traps the assistant in the hilltop residence as servant becomes master. Suspense builds a bit here as you go in the latter half. Helped by Elisabeth Shue, who always seemed to be a cut above her peers. Another solid effort from the Cannon Group.

• Dec 15, 2013

Monkey see, monkey don't--An Entertaining & Cunning Piece of Work!!

Monkey see, monkey don't--An Entertaining & Cunning Piece of Work!!

• Sep 16, 2013

It's not really a horror or chiller, although the murderous ape storyline has some merit as it's not badly made, but it never creates enough interest.

• Mar 04, 2013

I have idolised writer Everette DeRoche for years and he has written some important Australian genre films such as Patrick, Roadgames, The Long Weekend, Razorback and Fortress amongst others. His work has a unique quality and I've collected all of his films over the years... except for Link. This is the one film of his that I had never been able to see. It was only briefly released to home video before being deleted. Occasionally a few copies would pop up on ebay for upwards of $100 and so needless to say it's a film thats hard to come by. I recently found a dvd copy from the Netherlands and watched the film for the very first time tonight. Directed by legendary Aussie filmmaker Richard Franklin, the film is about a zoologist student, Elizabeth Shue, who travels to the English countryside to work for her professor, Terrence Stamp, as he studies and trains chimpanzees. His most intelligent primate is an orangutan named Link. Link displays hostile traits and when the professor goes missing it becomes obvious that Link has a far more sinister and murderous personality. Franklin wasn't able to find funding to make the film in Australia and so he took it to England. It's a slow paced thriller that builds it's menacing tension gradually and the primate performances are incredible. Link predates George Romero's similar film, Monkey Shines, and it's disappointing that this has been lost in time. By no means DeRoche's or Franklin's best work but a bold and original film nonetheless. It might have taken me years but I finally got to see it... the wait was worth it.