Little Big Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Little Big Man Reviews

January 2, 2018
A revisionist Western classic.
December 19, 2017
Little big man is a great western film that was really the first truthful western movie on Indian people. Dustin Hoffman is a great lead in the story as we follow him through life growing up as a human being(cheyenne) and leaving the tribe and coming back many times. The movie overall does not take itself to serious and leaves you dying of laughter many times. But it does have its intense moments that evens it out and proves its point. The final battle leaves you dying of laughter and sad to see these characters we come to care about say goodbye. But it ends in a way where you are not laughing and instead thinking. The comedy the main character and drama makes this a must see western and timeless classic.
December 8, 2017
As a Native American, I give this flick my stamp of approval for being the most accurate portrayal of the portrayal of the Indian wars and the Battle of the Greasy Grass aka, Custer's Last Stand.
Hoffman's acting is beyond reproach as he depicts a young boy raised by natives, and torn between two cultures.
Chief Dan George is a much beloved leader who is very authentic and true to form as the elder/leader of the people.
Anyone who views this film cannot help but be moved by the dignity and plight of American Indians as they fight for and loose their freedom in this true to life film.
October 28, 2017
If you haven't seen this movie, you're no Hoffman fan. His BEST. Faye is famously flirtatious and infatuating in this movie. Had to drive 70 miles to see this back in the day...A wee bit controversial. CHIEF DAN GORGEOUS GEORGE. This movie helped start lots of young people to think differently and to question our history. Soldier Blue too.
October 4, 2017
I wasn't expecting to like this so much for some reason but here I am. An American western Candide! Made an empathetic heart, sharp satire, and brutal honesty! Yes!!

Pretty strictly satirical in one of those mirthless-but-point-taken sort of ways. I did a lot of nodding, silent chuckling and sad smiling. Actually I found the movie to be largely sadder than it was laugh-funny. The brutality of white men - "the white man thinks everything is dead" - being the most hammered home message.

Hoffman is at his best here, playing his role through the decades of the character's life. (He's also psychically in ????????????young Dustin Hoffman shape. All about that hair.) I appreciated how his voice became accented only when talking to fellow white men. I appreciated the tenderness the Native American characters were given in general, that's really where the 'revisionism' comes in more than anything else.

I also appreciated that silent ending that really gave away the films true intentions- the irreprable sadness of a last man standing.
½ July 8, 2017
Enjoyable watch and maintains its original charm
October 13, 2016
Everything you could ask for in a western classic. WIth a handful of truly unforgettable characters, multiple historic story lines, sweeping visuals, and plenty of action.A film for the ages.
September 9, 2016
Grand, endlessly entertaining western about Jack Crabb, 121-old man who tells his life being raised by Indians and fighting with (and against) General Custer. Extremely enjoyable film is also incredibly subtle, passionate, and, well, simply perfect.
½ August 30, 2016
Who are the savages?
April 28, 2016
Hilarious and very thought-provoking writing is always important for a film to be a masterpiece. Another good thing is a brilliant soundtrack to complement the music. And brilliant acting from scene stealers Faye Dunaway and Chief Dan George, plus Dustin Hoffman's very layered, high caliber lead acting nails it. The witty, perfectly realised and ambitious comedy western Little Big Man is another perfect film from a great director, the tragically underrated Arthur Penn.
April 16, 2016
An often overlooked gem of a movie, Hoffman is brilliant.. A poignant view of the genocide of the native peoples of America, it is humerous, sad and dramatic in equal amounts, and makes you angry about what the Europeans did to the native peoples. Totally entertaining in all respects and makes all your emotions come alive in varying degrees. One of my all time favourite movies. And one that leaves you ashamed if you're a white European. Shame on us for what we did in the formation of the USA. However, a cracking good movie!
½ March 20, 2016
Little Big Man is not a typical western. The movie sets out to correct the racist undertones expressed in earlier westerns as well as satarize it's predecessors. Little Big Man combines many different genres into a cohesive whole, Making a not only hystarical film, but one that teaches a valuable lesson in tolerance.
½ March 5, 2016
Quite an interesting little film.
February 19, 2016
Arthur Penn offers a new take of the culture clash between the White men and Native Americans in this revisionist. satirical, tone-shifting Western starring Dustin Hoffman and Faye Dunaway.
January 20, 2016
4 ud af 5 homofile indianere. Havde helt glemt, hvor sindssyg god den film egentlig er. Den holder hundrede.
½ November 21, 2015
Miten tästä tulikin mieleen Forrest Gump.
½ October 28, 2015
I was not pleased with little big man one bit where Dustin Hoffman plays a 121 year old man who recounts his life story its like a 1970s version of dances with wolves which I didn't like but with a better star
August 26, 2015
Little Big Man is essentially a precursor to Forrest Gump and Dances with Wolves. Young Jack Crabb is taken by the Cheyenne after his convoy is slaughtered by he Pawnee, and he becomes a man of both worlds as he jumps back and forth throughout history, meeting Wild Bill Hickock, and eventually General Custer. Hoffman is great in this, and its a weird, funny, sprawling historical epic that is heart wrenching and hilarious. Its definitely one of the best around.
½ July 24, 2015
how was this rated PG?????
May 4, 2015
Starring Dustin Hoffman, Faye Dunaway and Chief Dan George. Sort of like 'Forrest Gump" in the Old West, Dustin Hoffman is a 121-year-old man telling stories from his episodic life. His character was a witness to many important historical events of the late nineteenth century, most notably the battle of the Little Big Horn. Richard Mulligan is excellent as Gen. Custer, here portrayed as a pompous fool. Directed with atypical humour by Arthur Penn.