Little Big Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Little Big Man Reviews

½ July 8, 2017
Enjoyable watch and maintains its original charm
October 13, 2016
Everything you could ask for in a western classic. WIth a handful of truly unforgettable characters, multiple historic story lines, sweeping visuals, and plenty of action.A film for the ages.
September 9, 2016
Grand, endlessly entertaining western about Jack Crabb, 121-old man who tells his life being raised by Indians and fighting with (and against) General Custer. Extremely enjoyable film is also incredibly subtle, passionate, and, well, simply perfect.
½ August 30, 2016
Who are the savages?
½ May 24, 2016
Little big man is a great western film that was really the first truthful western movie on Indian people. Dustin Hoffman is a great lead in the story as we follow him through life growing up as a human being(cheyenne) and leaving the tribe and coming back many times. The movie overall does not take itself to serious and leaves you dying of laughter many times. But it does have its intense moments that evens it out and proves its point. The final battle leaves you dying of laughter and sad to see these characters we come to care about say goodbye. But it ends in a way where you are not laughing and instead thinking. The comedy the main character and drama makes this a must see western and timeless classic.
April 28, 2016
Hilarious and very thought-provoking writing is always important for a film to be a masterpiece. Another good thing is a brilliant soundtrack to complement the music. And brilliant acting from scene stealers Faye Dunaway and Chief Dan George, plus Dustin Hoffman's very layered, high caliber lead acting nails it. The witty, perfectly realised and ambitious comedy western Little Big Man is another perfect film from a great director, the tragically underrated Arthur Penn.
April 16, 2016
An often overlooked gem of a movie, Hoffman is brilliant.. A poignant view of the genocide of the native peoples of America, it is humerous, sad and dramatic in equal amounts, and makes you angry about what the Europeans did to the native peoples. Totally entertaining in all respects and makes all your emotions come alive in varying degrees. One of my all time favourite movies. And one that leaves you ashamed if you're a white European. Shame on us for what we did in the formation of the USA. However, a cracking good movie!
½ March 20, 2016
Little Big Man is not a typical western. The movie sets out to correct the racist undertones expressed in earlier westerns as well as satarize it's predecessors. Little Big Man combines many different genres into a cohesive whole, Making a not only hystarical film, but one that teaches a valuable lesson in tolerance.
½ March 5, 2016
Quite an interesting little film.
February 19, 2016
Arthur Penn offers a new take of the culture clash between the White men and Native Americans in this revisionist. satirical, tone-shifting Western starring Dustin Hoffman and Faye Dunaway.
January 20, 2016
4 ud af 5 homofile indianere. Havde helt glemt, hvor sindssyg god den film egentlig er. Den holder hundrede.
½ November 21, 2015
Miten tästä tulikin mieleen Forrest Gump.
½ October 28, 2015
I was not pleased with little big man one bit where Dustin Hoffman plays a 121 year old man who recounts his life story its like a 1970s version of dances with wolves which I didn't like but with a better star
August 26, 2015
Little Big Man is essentially a precursor to Forrest Gump and Dances with Wolves. Young Jack Crabb is taken by the Cheyenne after his convoy is slaughtered by he Pawnee, and he becomes a man of both worlds as he jumps back and forth throughout history, meeting Wild Bill Hickock, and eventually General Custer. Hoffman is great in this, and its a weird, funny, sprawling historical epic that is heart wrenching and hilarious. Its definitely one of the best around.
½ July 24, 2015
how was this rated PG?????
May 4, 2015
Starring Dustin Hoffman, Faye Dunaway and Chief Dan George. Sort of like 'Forrest Gump" in the Old West, Dustin Hoffman is a 121-year-old man telling stories from his episodic life. His character was a witness to many important historical events of the late nineteenth century, most notably the battle of the Little Big Horn. Richard Mulligan is excellent as Gen. Custer, here portrayed as a pompous fool. Directed with atypical humour by Arthur Penn.
½ May 3, 2015
You're small but nice looking.

Jack Crabb is a man that was raised by Indians before eventually getting lost and adopted by the white man. He becomes civilized again before falling back in with his original tribe, settling down with an Indian, and raising a family. Custer invades his people and spares him. He serves as a scout for Custer until he gets an opportunity for revenge.

"You are back in the bosom of your family."

Arthur Penn, director of Missouri Breaks, Bonnie & Clyde, The Miracle Worker, Dead of Winter, Night Moves, Target, and The Chase, delivers Little Big Man. The storyline for this picture is entertaining, fun to watch unfold, and occasionally funny. The script is interesting and doesn't take itself too seriously. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Dustin Hoffman, Faye Dunaway, Richard Mulligan, Kelly Jean Peters, and Jeff Corey.

"Don't make any moves unless you want a little daylight in your liver."

I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and decided to DVR it. This was better than average and a fun western picture. This movie doesn't take itself too seriously and "fun" is the best adjective I could use to describe this. This isn't perfect but is worth a viewing.

"I've never been invisible before."

Grade: B-
April 11, 2015
Watching this again. It's been years. Love, love, love.
April 8, 2015
The comedy in Little Big Man is very ahead of its time. It has that awkward Napoleon Dynamite humor, where it's about an absurd character in a world that's only a little less absurd. We start off with the grandfather from Texas Chainsaw Massacre showing a young whipper snapper that he knows a thing or two about the Old West. They did a brilliant job making it feel like a true story being recalled by an old man. When I was a child and my grandfather was alive I remember he'd slip in as many jokes as he could in his stories just to make me laugh.

Everyone is great in this. Hoffman, Dunaway and Chief were my favorites. I like the way the old man introduces everyone by exaggerating their personalities to make them memorable. You really get the sense that you're a little kid listening to a grandfather trying to humor you.
March 13, 2015
Biting satire and scathing revisionist history, the only survivor of the battle of little big horn tells his rapidly shifting and entertaining tale as a 121 year old man. Somehow it works as hysterical in parts, tearfully sad and poignant in others, a mixture of titillation and deep tragedy. Chief Dan George won academy award for his prophetic role. General Custer, Wild Bill Hickock, and many other over the top characters keep this long gem of a movie moving at a rollicking pace.