Little Dieter Needs to Fly: Escape from Laos Reviews

• Nov 04, 2018

A spectacular story of survival against all odds. Werner Herzog again manages to bring a shocking tale to life in exquisite detail. By visiting Dieter's small German town where he was born and where he grew up it beautifully provides the context for the path he chose to take. The smallest details ie him hoarding food, carry so much weight and significance due to his past. It's quite stunning when they travel back to :Laos and visit the jungle where he was held. It's a great story of survival that any fan of biographies or fans of the history of war would appreciate.

• Oct 01, 2016

Dieter Dengler's remarkable journey comes to life with his every word he speaks and I could probably listen to him talk for hours. Herzog grants us only a little over an hour with Dengler, but that's enough time with the man to make you shed a tear or two during the postscript. If not out of sadness, then out of respect.

• Jan 28, 2016

• Nov 22, 2015

Herzog's brilliant and clever documentary on Dieter is thought-provoking, interesting, and involves Herzog's usual mockery of norms. The wrapping of the theme of death and life serves as a perfect stencil for the concepts in the film.

• Sep 05, 2015

1/8/16 Amazon Video An amazing and compelling story of human survival. What Dieter endured and eventually overcame is almost beyond belief. His re-enactment could have come off as hokey but it was just the opposite. This was one extra ordinarily tough human being, both mentally and physically.

• Nov 28, 2014

A German-American Vietman POW tells his story. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

A German-American Vietman POW tells his story. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Nov 16, 2014

I think Herzog is a master with documentaries. I have some other comments I will post on my FB.

• Jul 06, 2014

Truly charismatic and fascinating.

Truly charismatic and fascinating.

• Dec 27, 2013

Herzog is the one who looks at others, sees them and shows them. Thank you, Mr. Herzog!

• Nov 06, 2013

Weird seeing this after Rescue Dawn. Dengler's unemotional, motor-mouthed anecdotes are very strange to watch.