Little Man Tate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Little Man Tate Reviews

½ June 11, 2016
A cloying melodrama that is so full of incredibly selfish and hilariously childish characters, even the effortlessly charming Harry Connick Jr couldn't breathe enough life into it. A boring piece of self-righteous Hollywood tripe.
½ February 13, 2016
I've always liked this movie a lot. I don't really care much about it as a whole though, I just like parts and scenes and beats and stuff. Like the ending is just way too bow-wrapped and shit, I don't care about that. I just care about some of the stuff along the way. Ya feel me
½ April 1, 2015
Cute,lighthearted fare that while not great is entertaining.
½ February 27, 2015
Very well-acted with likeable characters and some funny moments as well as dramatic moments. A well-rounded movie that felt good at the end.
½ August 1, 2014
A movie about empathy. How often does that happen?
½ June 29, 2014
I had mixed feelings after I watched this movie. It was entertaining, but not that enlightening.
½ April 28, 2014
I liked it. I didn't love it, I didn't dislike it, but it was good. Jodie Foster did a good job acting, and it's hard to find good child actor, but this does it. However, for such and intriguing premise, it can get rather boring in spots.
January 2, 2014
½ November 30, 2013
A well told story about the difference of manhood and childhood.
½ May 5, 2013
½ April 24, 2013
Beautiful.....
story of a little Genius
and relation between a mother her genius kid
January 26, 2013
Classic movie. On one of my favorites list
January 1, 2013
Jodie Foster makes an appealing, if modest, directorial debut with Little Man Tate. Scott Frank (Dead Again) penned this nicely observed tale of a year in the life of a seven-year-old genius. Most of the film's emotional power lies in the open, alert, eager-to-please face of Hann-Byrd, making his acting debut. Filled with small, telling moments rather than big events, film never really gets inside Fred's head, but it neatly sketches the external aspects of his predicament. "Little Man Tate" is the kind of movie you enjoy watching; it's about interesting people finding out about themselves. As the boy's devoted working-class mother, Foster credibly exudes a mother-lion protectiveness, but she seems a bit too intelligent to play someone so far removed from Fred's mental sphere. Wiest, on the other hand, is near-perfect as the well-meaning mentor who has trouble responding to Fred just as a child rather than a child prodigy. A triumphant debut as a film director for Jodie Foster in a captivating tale about a pint-sized genius.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
December 20, 2012
A somewhat slow moving picture that covers and relates anti-intellectualism, fitting in, and family.
August 29, 2012
This is quite a remarkable film. I enjoyed it from beginning to end.
July 25, 2012
Eu não sabia que a Jodie Foster já tinha bancado a diretora. Enfim, deu certo.
June 30, 2012
Just a really great movie.
½ June 22, 2012
The kid was adorable. I expected some more from the writing though.
½ May 10, 2012
Foster attests to the pay-off of a seasoned actor moving to the director's seat. One way this is seen is in the humble human scale of the story, and another way is in how we forget that we're watching acting, especially from the most challenging source of that achievement, the little boy playing the pint-sized poet, pianist, artist, and math wizard whose ulcers attest to his anxieties about the environmental destruction of the planet and the fact that he has no friends.
February 26, 2012
A drawn out plot makes people wait for an hour and a quarter to see where the movie goes