Little Monsters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Little Monsters Reviews

½ November 23, 2013
There are is no redeeming quality to this shitfest of a movie. Terrible performances, terrible effects, and a terrible story - all the components of an instant classic.....right?!!!?? WRONG.
October 20, 2013
Cool little 80's movie.
September 17, 2013
Was okay. A different twist on the monsters under your bed. Now I know why I got in so much trouble as a kid.
½ September 12, 2013
not a bad film at all but lacks alot of things. to me it comes off as a little kids version of the movie nightbreed which is based off of the book cabal. i know that nightbreed came out a year after but the book cabal came out a year before little monsters.
August 28, 2013
A boy and his family move to a new town because of his fathers job. The kid named Brian hates the new town and misses his friends and is having a hard time finding new ones in this town. He starts noticing something weird like his bike being left on the drive way and ice cream being eaten and he is also getting blamed for it. Also his brother witnessed a monster in the middle of the night so Brian sets a trap for them and it works and soon after Brian becomes friends with Maurice a monster who is wild and really goofy and just a little off the wall. Maurice introduces Brian to a world where there is no homework, parents and a worry free environment. They both go and play pranks on a lot of kids even a bully that was currently picking on Brian. But when Maurice pulls a cruel one on a girl that Brian likes and an even cruel one on a baby Brian gets fed up and has had enough of this foolish pranks. Not to his knowledge does he know every visit to this world is making Brian little by little turning him into a monster. When this does not work the bad monsters get upset and kidnap Brian's little brother so Brian goes back with a bunch of friends and tries to get his brother back. Howie Mandel was a little over the top at times and a little annoying but most of the time he was pretty funny. It also has Daniel stern who I think is pretty cool. Really enjoyed him in HOME ALONE as one of the bandits and was real funny. Rick Ducommun who I really liked in THE BURBS. And frank Whaley who was pretty cool in CAREER OPPORTUNITIES. And of course Fred Savage who played Brian who I thought he fit and played the part really well. This is a really good movie but what bugged me a little they say its a kids movie but there is bad language here and there through the movie and if a had a kid I would be upset them saying its a kids movie and having them hear some bad words . Some I'm just giving you a heads up. I wouldn't put it in the instant classic category but it was funny and a real enjoyable movie. A real good movie. Oh wait, it's an. Eighties movie what did I suspect. DUH!!!
August 6, 2013
I do not recommend this movie. It's scary and traumatizing for kids and juvenile for adults. It has it's funny moments, but not enough for me to fully enjoy it. Daniel Stern provided good support, but the movie is just mean spirited and I'm having a difficult time in trying to figure out who the target audience for this film is and what the moral of the story is to this rather unpleasant film. I think it's, Monstrous actions can lead to monstrous consequences?
July 16, 2013
Quite possibly the worst movie that I've ever seen!!!!!
This Fred Savage failure is dark, loud, creepy, and unnaturally evil. A large chunk of this torture is the two main characters framing small children for awful "pranks". This movie is very mean spirited and unfit for small children. This REALLY should be a PG-13 movie. So avoid the monstrosity as much as possible.
July 12, 2013
I consider this flick to be miserable, criticizing the poorly written plot, unexplained story elements, mean-spirited characters, nasty jokes, depressing tone, and overly scary monsters. Special criticism is reserved for the appearance of the world of monsters, which I call a letdown due to the buildup, and for a scene where parents wrongfully blame their own children for Brian and Maurice's insane pranks, cruelly.
½ July 2, 2013
haven't seen it for a while
½ July 1, 2013
Great "Monsters under the bed" movie!
½ June 22, 2013
As a kid this movie was the best. But watching now as an adult...still awesome but definitely has it's cheesy moments. Not as great as I remember it to be. lol
May 18, 2013
loved this movie as a kid!
May 15, 2013
Terribly boring and not advisable for kids!
March 30, 2013
Very good movie to watch with the family! Word of advice; if your child is already having problems sleeping, this is not the right movie to watch with them! Talk about confirming if there are monsters under the bed!
½ March 30, 2013
This one was one I always wanted to watch when I was a child, but after seeing it, I realize that it's really nothing special.

PLOT:Brian (Fred Savage) is just a little kid. His family just moved into a new house and things aren't going so great. Brian's parents are fighting, mysterious pranks are being pulled with no one knowing, and Brian's little brother is waking up at night claiming there's a monster under is bed. Brian doesn't believe him, so they trade rooms for a night. However, Brian traps Maurice (Howie Mandel), a dim-witted but fun prankster of a monster whom he befriends. Maurice and Brian become great friends and make frequent visits from the human world to the monster world. However, things don't seem right in the monster world with Brian there. It's a good plot executed rather decently.

ACTING:The acting in here is pretty good. Fred Savage wasn't spectacular as young Brian, but he got the job done. The best performance in here would have to have been from Howie Mandel as the mischievious Maurice. He really played a good part, though more spontaneous than emotional. The other shiners would be Rick Ducommun as Snik, Daniel Stern as Glen Stevenson, and Frank Whaley as Boy.

SCORE:The score wasn't really anything too special. It was pretty uplifting at times with a few good songs laid throughout.

EFFECTS:The effects in here are pretty neat. The make-up effects for Maurice and the other monsters were fairly realistic, though cheesy. I liked some of the ways they played around with the visual effects. The effects of the moving clothes were pretty cheesy as well, but interesting. The effects for the end battle were pretty cool to me, however.

OTHER CONTENT:This movie was pretty decent. It wasn't anything too special. The effects were something interesting, and Howie Mandel's performance was great, but it can't live on these alone. The movie overall was pretty bland and cheesy, but it had some good moments. I think they could have done a lot more with it.

OVERALL,a neutral movie with a good plot, pretty good acting, nothing special score, and neat but cheesy effects, but the movie itself was pretty bland and cheesy with more unexplored possibilities.
½ March 30, 2013

½ March 10, 2013
i remember wanting to see this movie, oh god its very crappy.
March 8, 2013
I thought Fred and Ben Savage were so cute in this movie, it was really good
February 25, 2013
I love this movie must see if you love kid movies
½ February 20, 2013
"Little Monsters" is an awful excuse for a kid's movie. It's filled with cursing, bathroom humour (including feeding a child cat food and replacing his apple juice with urine) and is at times pretty frightening. It's not particularly clever or fun, the characters are very annoying and it's just mean spirited. The makeup effects are good, but it's only good thing to be found here. (VHS, February 2012)