Little White Lies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Little White Lies Reviews

½ August 12, 2013
Es una gran película, pero tal vez demasiado larga.
½ August 11, 2013
Love these French movies but must agree with Laura Kern (see below-Film Comment Magazine).
August 8, 2013
Worth every minute. Trailer does no justice.
August 4, 2013
1/5 --- A tedious movie that had good intentions for a life lesson about being caught up in your own little world, being selfish and the lies we tell ourselves/each other, but ultimately drowns itself with poor direction and plot that goes nowhere. A great cast with decent performances, poor musical timing and just no emotional depth as hard It tried.
July 31, 2013
Très français, axé sur le huis-clos, les dialogues, les tensions et relations entre les personnages. Malheureusement trop long - aurait pu être resserré pour alléger cette impression de complaisance, de vouloir faire parader le plus longtemps possible à l'écran la distribution de choix.
½ July 29, 2013
I loved this despite finding some of the subtitles were whipped away a little too quickly for me to fully digest what was being said. The movie has a strange opening in which a group of friends decide to go on an annual holiday despite one of their number being seriously injured and on life support in a Paris hospital. During the holiday, the insecurities and doubts amongst the group begin to surface leading to a tense and far from relaxing few days in the sun. It's a wonderfully observed character study with some amusing, blackly comic moments as well as more poignant and touching incidents. Marion Cotillard is simply enchanting as Marie and Gilles Lellouche provides a likeable rogue as Eric. Some of the funniest moments come from the wealthy, uptight Max played by Francoise Cluzet who resents the fact that his friends use him to bankroll their good times and yet needs to display his wealth in order to gain a sense of superiority. Every member of the cast has their moment and individual plot line but the movie never seems crowded and each feels rounded and true to life. It a warm and affectionate tale, typically Gallic in that much of the action takes place at the dining table over a glass or two of red wine, or is accompanied by clouds of cigarette smoke. A great movie about friends, relationships and the seemingly innocent lies people tell each other and themselves which can ultimately have consequences that can put such matters into question.
July 26, 2013
This film is so French, I wonder how the American audience will connect with it. Great cast, good story, and above all, good rhythm. A true representation of French film and life.
hunterjt13
½ July 14, 2013
While one of their members is ailing, a group of friends proceeds with their yearly vacation.
This film is a modern French version of The Big Chill. One can even draw one-to-one comparisons between the characters: Francois Cluzet's character = Kevin Kline's character, Jean Dujardin's character = Kevin Costner's character, Marion Cotillard's character = a combination of Meg Tilly's and Mary Kay Place's characters. It even has many of the same songs. It's okay to imitate, especially when a film is imitating one of the best, and The Big Chill is a superior film. But there are two important aspects of comparison that I consider relevant to evaluating Little White Lies. First, The Big Chill's characters could be reduced to types, but by the end of the film, the individual qualities of these character cause them to rise above the cliche type: the philosophical justifications behind Jeff Goldblum's character make him more interesting than the horny guy type. The same is true with Little White Lies; the scene outside Lea's apartment in Paris makes Gilles Lillouche's character more interesting than his horny guy type. This is where the French version succeeds, but The Big Chill, in addition to being an interesting film in itself, it's also a cultural critique, capturing the ennui and disappointment and failures of the Baby Boomer generation. It may be that Little White Lies makes a similar cultural critique for French audiences, but it doesn't translate, and including the sixties nostalgia songs that graced The Big Chill only serves to muddy the film's message.
Overall, this is a strong film with excellent performances and esprit de corps, but the film's larger context makes it less than its idols.
June 21, 2013
Comedy-Drama with a cast of very well known French actors (with two Oscar winners and one that could have won it last year but in the end wasn't nominated). Small resume, everybody gets angry with everybody else. Although can seem an easy movie, it's not, because of the high number of characters that create a complex trama with all their individual problems (with themselves or the other characters). Nonetheless it's not difficult to follow it and the movie flows for a lot more than 2 hours. The problem is exactly this lot more than 2 hours! So we end up with Marion Cotillard crying and hugging everyone, Francois Cluzet getting angry with everyone that gets angry with him. And, in the final 30 seconds, a big group hug with a sweet music that made me feel sick for it's sentimentality.
½ June 17, 2013
An ok drama. Some very good performances, but it's way too long.
June 16, 2013
Un sopórifero de 2 horas y media, que tiene sus momentos.
June 12, 2013
I can see this getting a Hollywood makeover with people like Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson and Katherine Heigl occupying a few of the central roles. The frustrating thing about Little White Lies is that there does seem to be a great film in here, only at two and a half hours it spreads itself too thinly. Cluzet and Cotillard stand out in a strong cast but really the problems aren't with the performances. At times this straddles drama and comedy quite seamlessly but at others the transition is uncomfortable at best and by the end it becomes way too sentimental to ring true. This is an admirable effort but it falls short of its ambition.
June 2, 2013
"Les petits mouchoirs"****: Un grand film sur l'amitià (C) !! C'est drôle, frais, touchant !!! On fait presque parti de la bande !! Chapeau à la troupe d'acteurs, tous excellents !!! Une rà (C)ussite !!!!!!!!
½ May 26, 2013
Little White Lies is a French "Big Chill"-type of movie where a bunch of long time friends go on their annual vacation despite one in the group being seriously injured in a scooter incident (it's France).

This film is sooooo long. It's two and a half hours of people just talking and having emotions. I had to take breaks for coffee periodically. I really enjoy French culture and especially it's cinema, but this movie just did not work on multiple levels for me. The stories were mostly uninteresting despite having a great ensemble cast. Everyone just came off as selfish and pretty unlikable.

PS: The music cues are sort of awful. Too on the button and all like American classic rock songs, so it makes the whole ambiance of the film feel strange.
½ May 25, 2013
The French 'Big Chill'. Quite a long rambling movie which should be very enjoyable to watch for young francophones. There are a lot of characters to get to know, which takes patience, but its worth it.
May 19, 2013
(May 2013) Casts are awesome, and the scenery is beautiful, but the story is a bit stupid (an important person in a group got critically injured and the rest of the group decided to take a long vacation, enjoying food, wines, water activities?). I guess it's a kind of movie in which you enjoy watching how good actors interact and beautiful vacation in Southern France. Finally, it's too long, like not-well-planned vacation.
April 21, 2013
After watching "Les Petits Mouchoirs", I should probably warn you that it's a journey. Clocking at about two-and-a-half hours with mostly just talking, some will like it, and some will hate it. Personally, I liked it, even though it's far from flawless. If there were ever such thing as the perfect French ensemble, this film has it. With Marion Cotillard and François Cluzet, two of France's top actors, in leading roles, and a supporting character played by Jean Dujardin (although he isn't in it too often), I never dreamed something like this would ever happen. Yet here it is.
The film begins with Ludo (Dujardin) partying all night long, hopping on his motorcycle to go home, and then getting hit by a truck. His large group of friends, all close for over a decade, become worried sick-- yet none of them can seem to sacrifice a beach vacation that Max (Cluzet) and his wife (Valérie Bonneton) offer every year.
We don't think much of this-- after all, all of the friends seem like nice enough people, and as soon as we get a look at the beach house and the view, we're sucked in too. But it's a problem.
These friends have had such long, complex relationships that they can't seem to tell each other their true feelings, and so basically, everyone's lying to each other. Marie (Cotillard) still has feelings for Ludo; Vincent (Benoît Magimel), who's married with two kids, can't help but tell Max that he has a crush on him; Eric (Gilles Lellouche) is dumped by his girlfriend but is too embarrassed to share; and Antoine (Laurent Lafitte) asks his friends for advice on how to win his girlfriend back but he won't share any big details. In essence, these are all "little white lies", but how long can they last?
Even from the beginning of "Les Petits Mouchoirs", you can tell something catastrophic is going to happen, whether or not a friendship ends or a misunderstanding gets out of control. But as we sit there expecting it, Canet makes us wait, and instead of everything happening abruptly, he takes his time, letting us get to know these characters, while letting them get to realize each others issues. Yet there's a tension that remains because we feel a sense of dread but we don't know when it's coming; we can't help but care because this group of friends are no different than most. All of the acting is terrific; these are wonderfully realized roles.
The characters are developed gradually, and in a way that makes them look flawed, maybe even giving us the idea that we'd see them walking down the street (even the eternally beautiful Cotillard looks a bit more normal here). Some of these people we like, and some of them we don't, but either way the actors pull off that task of really looking like friends. And when you have a "The Big Chill"-esque idea like this one, that's a very important component. Canet in turns directs with warmth, and in others, harsh realism.
If it was just a teeny bit shorter, "Les Petits Mouchoirs" could be perfect. But when we live in a world where movies don't even attempt to be as complex and real as this one, it's hard to even complain. Setting all problems aside, there's many moments of brilliance that eventually, outweigh the issues.
½ April 20, 2013
Why do we tell ourselves and the ones we love so many lies? Why are we so afraid of just being ourselves? That is "little white lies".
½ April 1, 2013
Acting was good with stars like Francois Cluzet, Marion Cotillard & Jean Dujardin. Characters were often times infuriating.
½ March 23, 2013
A little bit too long, but great story, great script, great actors - and God knows I don't like Cotillard!!, great soundtrack, and awesome dialogue. Canet is brilliant.