The Littlest Rebel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Littlest Rebel Reviews

½ September 25, 2016
Shirley Temple at her best.
September 18, 2016
Shirley was 7 when she made this Civil War set film as the daughter of a Confederate soldier. This was the last of four films she made that were released in 1935 and the final of three films that co-starred John Boles. It is good wholesome entertainment with the plucky girl hero. HOWEVER! Except, since the movie is from the point of view of the south with villainous Union officers ruining the way of life of the Southerners, the issue of racism and slavery are brushed under the rug. Bill Robinson sings and dances well with Shirley as nearly a substitute father figure. His character and other minor slave characters are loyal to their rich masters. The slaves are all arch stereotypes with Shirley's young Virginian blithely considering them part of her family and not property. Shirley even appears in blackface to dupe the Union army sacking the valuables from her plantation home! It was a different time, but maybe still very much in some people's memories considering Shirley Temple's popularity, when a good clean family film meant white-washing the real historical issues with a tale, ultimately, of the Great Emancipator pardoning a white Confederate officer because Shirley asks him pretty please. Even today there is a deep racism in this country as if the economy and ethics of slavery is not truly understood as the evil that it was. Or if slavery is understood for an evil thing, some still don't know how to treat large minority populations as fully human, deserving of all the same rights.
March 22, 2014
good shirley temple vehicle thx to mr bojangles who said of temple 'you only had to show her the steps once and she got it'.
June 13, 2013
Personally loved the movie ,and besides no one has the natural talent like Shirley does anymore. She was one of the last well respected actresses of her time.
July 19, 2012
Shirley Temple is on the Confederate side during the war, a true rebel. Cute film, but the a little racist at times, especially one slave is shown as a real idiot, but adds most of the humour.
March 23, 2012
One of Shirley Temple's best movies. She and Bojangles dancing together is one for the ages. A must see.
July 3, 2011
½ April 13, 2011
good stuff rewatch 4/12/11:I think this & baby take a bow are my fave temple movies. the dance routine with mr bojangles is amazing & Temple only had 2b shown the routine once & se had it!
½ December 28, 2010
THE LITTLEST REBEL (1935)
½ November 7, 2010
The racial element is disturbing, but I think Shirley's relationship with her father is more disturbing. There are probably a lot of Catholic priests who have gotten off on this movie over the years :P
July 25, 2009
Saw it before and really love her movies
June 18, 2009
I watched a couple of these horrible "cute" movies with Shirley Temple in them when I was younger. Suck city!
½ June 5, 2009
In her lavish period costumes. Shirley Temple is the delighful heroine of this appealing Cival War adventure,spiced with humor,fun and several rousing song and dance duets with Bill "BOJANGLES"ROBINSION.Virgie (TEMPLE),the young daughter of a Confederate soldier(JOHN BOLES),inadvertently causes her father's arrest after he sneaks through enemy lines to vist his ill wife(KAREN MORLEY),when Virgie learns her father and a kind Northern oficer(JACK HOLT),have been sentenced to death, she immediatley takes off for a little chat with President Lincoln
September 3, 2008
You must read Theodore Roszak's Flicker first, and then see this movie.... chilling.
August 26, 2008
I loved this movie! This is one of my favorite Shirley Temple movies.
July 19, 2008
Wow. This movie is so messed up in that Freudian way. First thing Shirley Temple is this spunky little girl who's for the Confederacy, the Black servants are totally infantilized, she meets with President Lincoln (?) and she wants to marry her dad - messed up!
½ June 18, 2008
Holy crap! I don't know if I've ever seen such a racist movie. The way black people were depicted - as "happy darkie" slaves who can't come up with thoughts of their own and shake in their boots at the rumors of the end of slavery. More shocking than anything. Also the little girl kinda freaked me out. Especially during the "blackface" bit.
June 7, 2008
What a great classic flick. Saw it in film class. You can definitely see why S.Temple had unlimited box office charm.
April 9, 2008
I especially love the part where the guy is discovered hiding in the closet... lol
½ March 20, 2008
One of the very few Shirley Temple movies I still love!