Live Free or Die Hard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Live Free or Die Hard Reviews

½ June 9, 2018
A good Die Hard movie. I actually like it better than 2 and 3 myself. Mostly because of Justin Long who plays a good straight man to Willis humor. Good casting. The action gets ridiculous at times but that's what we pay to see.
June 5, 2018
Bruce Willis teams up with hacker Justin Long to take on super hacker Timothy Olyphant who has basically hacked everything and is causing chaos. Willis has to use good old fashioned violence to stop him. This film is so absurd that it makes "Die Hard" feel like "My Dinner with Andre", but it's certainly not awful. Willis and Long have decent chemistry and a lot of the action set pieces are well-executed. It's a thoroughly okay action flick, it just doesn't feel like a "Die Hard" film. Kevin Smith shows up in a small role and I wish he wouldn't.
May 15, 2018
Free running scenes kicked ass.
½ May 11, 2018
This movie is worth multiple watches just to catch all the finer details of the quite enriching plot.
April 30, 2018
Over-the-top and filled with thrilling actions sequences: "Live Free or Die Hard" is a huge step up from the previous two installments thanks to a fun script and badass performance made by Bruce Willis. The movie is preposterous indeed, but at least it's self-aware and wants nothing but entertain the audiences. I was entertained indeed.
April 4, 2018
This is not Die Hard, it's super hero Bruce Willis vs the world, much like the other installments that came after the third movie, which was the last one to make any sense. The John McClane character is butchered by the writers, turned into something that doesn't have any connection to the original setting in the first three movies. This effectively ruined the franchise.
April 2, 2018
Bruce is back on form. A very enjoyable well paced action film that keeps you very much entertained.
March 25, 2018
It's a bit ridiculous, but Live Free or Die Hard's only major flaws are its PG-13 rating and the fact that "Yippee Ki Yay Motherf*cker" was censored. The film still can't touch the original, but it's almost as good as the second and third films. The action and stunts are great, Bruce Willis gives a great "pre-phoning it in" performance, and Timothy Olyphant makes for a great new kind of villain, at least within the franchise. All in all, making Die Hard PG-13 wasn't a good idea, but the film is great anyway.
February 17, 2018
A great, stand out action film that delivers all the good stuff from the other Die Hard films....and even a few ideas from some other top action films.We get a cool relevant story for the present day about hackers getting in to control just about everything in the country, lots of great action scenes not overly reliant on CGI, great fights and some humour as well of course. John McClane is definitely one hard to kill guy, kicking bad guy ass just as well as ever. This is all out action you can't fail to like!!
January 26, 2018
This installment was a downgrade from the first three in the series. They unnecessarily forced some of the "recycled" references from the past movies. Overall, just okay.
½ January 9, 2018
This was amazing. Wow-wee!
December 29, 2017
The action and story are great and Bruce Willis is excellent.
½ December 25, 2017
i saw the unrated version and thought it was good
December 14, 2017
It's pretty much taken before taken ever came out and because I was 5 when this movie came out I didn't have the chance to watch this movie or die hard or taken. But I watched taken first 3 years ago before die hard and so far both films suck.
½ November 30, 2017
Worthy sequel, save that the action and effects were often too gimmicky.
October 25, 2017
Not bad as the 3rd sequel. May be it's because expectation was lowered initially due to the 2nd sequel Die Hard with a vengeance. Just wondering if it will be as good in the next sequel when Grandpa McCrane jumps from skyhigh and his femur or tibia stays intact.
October 16, 2017
Now this is a Die Hard film that was just about as awesome as the first ! Bruce Willis is back again as John Mclane! This film offers a lot more action than 2 and 3 and definitely makes a big step up. The new villain Thomas Gabriel was incredible! he was almost as good as Hans Gruber (the original Die Hard Villain) Timothy Olyphant really did a great performance in this film and I really enjoyed it. Personally my 2nd favorite Die Hard film.
October 4, 2017
Fantastic action sequences with big, brash, old school stunts, an Average Joe hero, and a surprisingly engaging plot.
½ October 3, 2017
Terrific! Justin Long nailed it! He was super funny and pretty much made the movie second to Bruce. Also, terrific job by Timothy Olyphant as well! Not often you see a movie come back after nearly two decades and be a box office hit woohoo!
½ September 24, 2017
The action is a bit ridiculous sure. The plot is a little far fetched sure. Why is this movie so good then? Because it understands what made the first Die Hard so good and that's making the lovable asshole John McClain a human being and giving a villain that can match him every step of the way. Side note, Justin Long is a great sidekick.