The Living Wake - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Living Wake Reviews

½ October 7, 2015
Sol Tryon's The Living Wake seems but a protracted act of stultifying self-indulgence -- but then maybe that's the point.
July 18, 2013
Quirky, a bit too quirky maybe, but not for me.
March 23, 2013
A perfect mix of enlightenment, quirkiness and dark humor makes this film easily my favorite movie for 2 years and counting.
January 8, 2013
There are defiantly some acting awards to be one from this film.
½ November 19, 2012
An eccentric with a mysterious, fatal illness spends the last day of his life searching for his father who will deliver a "brief but powerful monologue" about life's purpose.
Half of this film begs us to take it seriously, as though it has something profound and original to say about life and death, and the other half avoids any serious consideration in favor of broad and over-the-top comedy. The result is a mixed bag that falls short in both goals.
The film's energy comes from the lead performance by Mike O'Connell; the set must not have had craft service because he chews the scenery like a starving orphan. The character K. Roth Binew is written to be larger than life, but O'Connell makes him even larger. I found myself wishing that Binew could have been played by Albert Finney, channeling his Big Fish character. Jesse Eisenberg is wonderful as Binew's eternally faithful and loyal assistant, a thankless character that Eisenberg mines for gold.
Overall, despite O'Connell's over-the-top performance, there are a lot of little parts, moments of philosophical truth, that make this film worth watching even if the whole is inconsistent and flawed.
October 28, 2012
This movie is a delightful absurdist dark comedy that unfortunately runs a bit too long and loses a bit of its steam as well as its message by the end. However, it is still primally satisfying and pretty hilarious, thanks to the great performances of Mike O'Connell and Jesse Eisenberg.
½ September 30, 2012
Half funny and inspired, half needlessly awkward and contrived.
½ September 8, 2012
Mixed thoughts about this movie. On the one hand it is definitely a very quirky and eccentric film, with an oddly entertaining main character, K. Roth Binew and his complete utter insane way he leads his life as if this was a theater play and everyone around him were supporting players in *his* life. So he's obviously a very egocentric man but he is amusing to watch, thanks to a committed performance from Mike O'Connell. And I think there's also a good idea with seeing how hard K. Roth struggles to come to terms with the fact that nobody will remember who he is after he has passed, despite being a self proclaimed genius and artist. I think there's a good idea there of a man struggling to find what he added of value to the world. I think where the movie sort of falls apart is that it's way too quirky, in lieu of actual storytelling. I just think the quirkiness of all the proceedings got in the way of what could've been a very poignant and touching story about a man coming to terms with the fact he simply didn't add much to it, at least in his own way. There is some of that however with Mills and K. Roth's relationship is easily the best part of the film, at least the way it plays out in the end and how you get to see that Mills really was the only person in the film who actually cared for K. Roth and whether he lived or died. And I think the end of the film does have a more poignant and touching ending as it relates to their relationship. Jesse Eisenberg is very good in his role, what a surprise. So really, I mostly enjoyed the film but it is definitely a mixed bag of good and not so good (and I don't mean bad).
June 16, 2012
What a strange film. So yea, I liked it.
June 10, 2012
Pretty good movie. The last song he sang made me really enjoy this movie. Good for people in arts and theater
June 10, 2012
wrong year on this s/b 2010
½ June 6, 2012
the remembrance of dawn is the best part of the entire movie
½ May 29, 2012
it's just the type of different that the world needs.
February 1, 2012
Taking an absurdist stance, you just have to take it as it gives it. It is well done and the cast of characters are endearing, even K-Roth himself which is saying something given his selfish and quixotic nature. So I found it entertaining, but it loses a bit by its abrupt end and its lack of point.
Someone could argue, "...but it is absurd. That's a point in and of itself!" I wouldn't agree though. It lingered on the edges of one, but just remained slightly too undaring to go for it.
January 16, 2012
This was a very charming movie to watch. It's like a perfectly aged cheese.
½ December 6, 2011
kinda weird dark comedy
½ December 5, 2011
By far the most random ridiculous piece of cinema I've ever seen...perhaps it's worth it for that feat alone?
½ October 21, 2011
Entirely cracked movie, so many great lines. It will not be for everyone but I think those who like cult films and things off the beaten track will get a kick out of it.
October 18, 2011
En idà (C) buren ur alkoholdimmiga småtimmar utan tvekan; men underhållande!
September 3, 2011
This was a very charming movie to watch. It's like a perfectly aged cheese.