Lizzie Borden Took an Ax Reviews

• Jul 07, 2019

I think the writing is pretty good, and the costumes and aesthetic are incredible. They completely removed Lizzie's uncle from the narrative. My major gripe with it is the music. Their music choice is odd. They ise all these rock n roll songs and it just doesnt fit.

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Nov 17, 2017

From Lifetime comes the TV movie Lizzie Borden Took an Ax, a chilling drama about the notorious killer. Christina Ricci stars as Lizzie Borden, a New England socialite who feels oppressed and resentful toward her parents, and when they are brutally murdered she finds herself as the prime suspect. Told as a murder mystery, there are hints at a possible third party committing the murders, or that Lizzie had a psychotic break and was unaware of what she had done. However, the writing can be a little weak at times as the courtroom drama isn't exactly riveting. Yet the costumes and sets are especially well-done and look authentic to the time period. And the soundtrack, which is made up of modern alternative rock, offers an interesting juxtaposition to the visual aesthetic. Lizzie Borden Took an Ax meanders a bit, but overall it's a suspenseful psychological thriller.

• Byron B Super Reviewer
    Sep 16, 2017

We streamed this on Netflix. Great period detail and chemistry between the Borden sisters (Ricci and DuVall). Christina Ricci has the perfect Gothic sensibilities to play this role, a rebel feminist pushing back against her society's constraints. Of course she pushes so far that her role turns to liar and murderer. This leads to a bit of confusion about the character. How much hero is in this anti-heroine? Or is it a cautionary tale about a clearly guilty sociopath? Ricci was a fan of continuing in this role and became an executive producer on a series, The Lizzie Borden Chronicles, the next year (we also streamed the series). Strange, but not really unexpected in Hollywood constantly rebooting or reimagining projects, that three years later Chloë Sevigny and Kristen Stewart starred in another Lizzie movie.

• May 17, 2017

I really wanted to like this more than I did, because I love Christina Ricci and I'm interested in Lizzie Borden. But Lizzie is less of a murderer and more of a whiny irritating teenager.

• Mar 28, 2017

I've been a fan of Christina Ricci since The Addams Family, and she was the reason I saw this movie. She's perfect in the role of a campy evil character. Her acting was as good and as fun to watch as ever. She does a great job playing the title character as a cunning sociopath. How much that resembles the real historical Lizzie Borden is more than I can say, but I would not mistake this movie as a documentary. As a period drama, this movie looks very good. Though it's a little slow, I was never bored. I would suggesting reading the overview of the historical murder in Wikipedia to help separate fact from fiction. In many ways this is an interesting dramatization, but it does embellish the story. The one thing I didn't like about this movie was the really obnoxious, bizarrely anachronistic country rock sound track. Listening to too-loud twangy rock while watching characters go about their business in an 1892 period drama was just so weird. At times I thought they were using that music to try to appeal to a teenage audience, and at times I thought they were using it to try to make Lizzie Borden seem like a modern sociopathic murderer, a century ahead of her time. I would have preferred period music as faithful as the costumes and set design, which were well done. If you like Christina Ricci, and you like period dramas, see it!

• Feb 05, 2017

I just could not get into this.

I just could not get into this.

• Feb 12, 2016

Lizzie Borden movie was boring so I couldn't watch to the end. The Lizzie Borden Chronicles on Netflix was full of drama. Someone was murdered in almost every episode. I would give that 4 stars. I didn't care for the loud music and it didn't seem right.

• Oct 30, 2015

I don't know how they made such a compelling story so damn boring.

I don't know how they made such a compelling story so damn boring.

• Oct 05, 2015

Woof! I know this was a made-for-TV movie, but I was expecting it to be a bit better than it was. The acting was subpar and the costuming was atrocious.

• Oct 04, 2015