Lloyds of London - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ September 17, 2013
Tuesday, September 17, 2013

(1936) Lloyd's Of London
ADVENTURE

Works almost like a book centering on two friends growing up to take different paths- one is Jonathan Blake who eventually works in an insurance firm while the other Horatio Nelson going to the direction of becoming an admiral of a ship.
There's so much going on that's it's hard to fit all of this in a two hour movie. Also, the movie doesn't showcase Horatio Nelson's life as much as Jonathon Blake's to grasp the feel of the ending that it presented.

footnote: This is one of 10 movies Tyrone Power made with director Henry King.

3 out of 4 stars
September 28, 2012
Brilliant. A combination of historical events relating to Lloyd's insurance and the Battle of Trafalgar. I mainly wanted to watch this to learn more about Lloyd's with whom I banked and their popular history. Then I read about their insurance syndicates in "The Age of Diminishing Expectations". In it they mentioned this movie and I made sure to watch it after that despite it being old and not especially popular.

It turns the story into a romance that is very surprising for the time about a "rags to riches" man who saves first an investment at Lloyd's and then a woman, but the woman is married unhappily. Somehow it was alright, even back in that day, to have them commit adultery. It made me think of "An Affair to Remember", and how that film surprised me with its out and out adultery. Yet both these movies were successes, perhaps because they both touch on a theme of true love.

The story is much more than that but I don't want to give it away. But I enjoyed it despite its cheesy melodrama. It was a landmark film not only for Fox but also for the world given its interesting plot.
August 18, 2012
well crafted period pic from 20th
May 3, 2010
Lloyds of London has that amazingly good production quality MGM was so well known for in the 1930?s. Freddie Bartholomew is one of the best child actors ever and is excellent. The supporting cast is wonderful - C. Aubrey Smith, Sir Guy Standing, Una O'Connor, Miles Mander, Montagu Love and George Sanders are all great. Superb atmosphere, outstanding art direction and costumes, the cinematography as well. A fine classic with notable early appearances by Tyrone Power and George Sanders.
February 4, 2010
81/100. Lloyds of London has that amazingly good production quality MGM was so well known for in the 1930's. Freddie Bartholomew is one of the best child actors ever and is excellent. The supporting cast is wonderful - C. Aubrey Smith, Sir Guy Standing, Una O'Connor, Miles Mander, Montagu Love and George Sanders are all great. Superb atmosphere, outstanding art direction and costumes, the cinematography as well. A fine classic with notable early appearances by Tyrone Power and George Sanders.
December 10, 2007
Very sad, it was unfortunate the girl was married.
½ November 12, 2007
Tripe, but alright if you have nothing better to do.