Local Color - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Local Color Reviews

June 3, 2015
Local Color est un coming-of-age movie dans le sens le plus classique du terme. Un gamin y devient adulte pendant un été au contact d'un type vaguement étrange et extrêmement charismatique. Cependant, Local Color a la chance d'être mis en scène par George Gallo et d'être interpété par Trevor Morgan et Armin Mueller-Stahl, qui sont absolument prodigieux dans leurs rôles. Aussi drôle que touchant, le film bénéficie aussi d'un rythme soutenu et de l'excellent Ron Perlman, absolument hilarant. Local Color est un bien bon film trop méconnu.
PantaOz
½ September 24, 2013
An amazing heartfelt autobiographical coming-of-age bio- drama written and directed by George Gallo, starring Armin Mueller-Stahl, Ray Liotta and Trevor Morgan in the lead role. It is based on a Gallo's experience when he was 18. The character of Nikolai Serov was based on George Cherepov, to whom Gallo had been an apprentice in the 1970s. Interesting part is that Gallo also painted all of the oil paintings in this movie, having "cleaned out his whole garage" of his paintings. In particular, the paintings that John (Trevor Morgan) showed to Serov (Armin Mueller-Stahl) when asking him for advice in the beginning of the movie were the exact paintings that Gallo as a teenager had showed Cherepov!

The story of the young 18 year-old aspiring artist John Talia, Jr. (Trevor Morgan)- who is mostly misunderstood by his homophobic father (Ray Liotta) thinking that his son must be a homosexual because he enjoys drawing male nudes, was enlightening... real values against contemporary values of the 1974 New York! When John discovers that his idol, aging master, Nicoli Seroff (Armin Mueller-Stahl), lives nearby, he begs the old man to take him on as an apprentice. The invigorating young man has no idea that what he'll find is an embittered old alcoholic who has lost not only his enthusiasm for painting but for living.

It is a movie which doesn't offer too much new, it is all very familiar and predictble but when we have an argument of old real values against contemporary questionable artworks, this doesn't count as a disadvantage. Cat Stevens songs are used to set the mood... and after that prepare yourself to see shades of the Karate Kid in Local Color, especially the mentoring-style of sensei Mr. Miyagi (who was also mourning the loss of his wife)! During the ensuing months, John is introduced to the intricacies of landscape painting by the troubled Seroff as well as the pleasures of romance with a beautiful neighbor (Samantha Mathis). Along the way, there are many passionate discussions about art, fueled by the presence of Seroff's argumentative art dealer friend (Ron Perlman).

If you are an art lover, there is plenty to enjoy in this movie and beautifully photographed in widescreen to take full advantage of its gorgeously scenic Louisiana locations (substituting for Pennsylvania), the film is best appreciated on the big screen. In these suroundings it is impossible not to enjoy the sensitive performances by Morgan, Mueller-Stahl, and Diana Scarwid as John's empathetic mother.
August 20, 2013
I am going to pass on this one.
March 5, 2013
I loved it. Great script, one Great performance and absolutely beautiful. I think everyone who believes they have an artistic soul should watch this.
September 11, 2011
I thought it was an excellent movie.
½ June 20, 2011
Most people will find this movie a bit boring. I enjoyed watching the interaction between the old man and his 16 year old prodigy.
June 15, 2011
Good movie with some awesome quotes
½ May 30, 2011
This was a terrific film, based on a true story, concerning an untrained, struggling young artist who finds a mentor to help him understand what painting, and life, is all about. Marvelous performances from a wonderful cast that included Armin-Mueller-Stahl as the older, established and reclusive artist, Nicholai Seroff; Trevor Morgan as the young man, John; Samantha Mathis as Carla, a sad young woman who has faced a lot of tragedy in her life and who is friends with Nicholai; and Ray Liotta, Diana Scarwid, Charles Durning, and Ron Perlmen. The story was somewhat predictable and in some ways was quite similar in tone to Billy Elliot, with a father (Liotta) and mother (Scarwid) who don't understand thier son's passion, or his fascination with this older, Russian (and probably Commie), man who may or may not have ulterior motives in taking their son under his wing. But the excellent performances bring this off without resorting to stereotypes or to formula. Both men are landscape painters, primarily and there is some breathtaking scenery on display here. It was fascinating to watch the interplay between these two strong personalities, and to watch their relationship develop. The process of learning to "see" the world and to bring it to life under the brush was also fascinating. Ron Perlman was an absolute hoot as a pompous, effeminate art critic and dealer who was nevertheless friends with the great man. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.
April 30, 2011
It had great potential but it lost its way in a Hallmark moment which never seemed to end....
April 20, 2011
I like how story was almost entirely true. It is taken directly from the director's life.
February 28, 2011
good story well acted drama
February 28, 2011
I thought this film was going to turn out like an offering of a cup of tea to a coffee drinker. I was wrong. My reluctance to see Liotta cast in a film with Mueller-Stahl was rewarded with a very brief on screen role as an unlikeable homophobic father that Liotta managed well. The film focus was on the relationship of Mueller-Stahl as an end of his life artist and reluctant teacher of Morgan who played the role of a charismatic and eager artist. Both actors played well against each other and by the end I had grown fond of both characters and the story they told. It was a surprise for me to find a good movie hidden in a casting package that seemed out of place.
February 25, 2011
Local Color speaks upon how art should be created to uplift a mans soul. The character who plays Nicoli Seroff; passionate about classic art, ties spirituality, learning, and a belonging to finding beauty in everything as he passes on his knowledge and wisdom onto an eager student. This movie changed my opinion of what is art altogether.
bbcfloridabound
December 27, 2010
Another Independent Film from Monterey. Amin Mueller-Stahl plays his part nothing short of outstanding. This film is about a your art student who wants to study under the Russian Artist Nicholi Saroff, This is an excellent film based on a true story, John Talia spends the summer and develops a friendship with Saroff. Very Enjoyable 5 Stars
½ December 20, 2010
The story was lovely. Overall the message I felt was very clear, but there were parts in which the movie could have either cut or had redone in some fashion. This movie can get boring at times, but I say that this movie is worth the watch.
November 13, 2010
A very solid and moving movie, so I was shocked to find that it got such a low rating on rotten tomatoes. I stand by this rating. A great movie about how artists view and experience life.
October 11, 2010
not a really bad movie, but nothing really that great either. story about young kid who wants to be an artist befriending a local great artist in order to learn what it is to be an artist. pretty standard stuff old grumpy guy is hesitant to help young kid, old grumpy guy eventually softens and reveals himself to young kid. young kid meets older woman which really has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. old guy dies young kid goes on to sell his art in same gallery old grumpy guy sold his art. ok there you dont need to watch this now.
October 6, 2010
Karate kid meets ART!!!
August 30, 2010
This was a very soft hearted film. Slow paced but deep! lol.
½ June 23, 2010
Fun film for anyone who loves art...or just a mentor relationship drama.