Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Reviews

jamrcla
January 29, 2016
Not as good as I thought, I was expecting another film like snatch, But was a little disappointed, But a good ending makes up for most of the films downtime.
November 23, 2015
Fun, stylish crime comedy. True, I will admit it is a bit crowded and the plot is a lot to take in on the first viewing but with repeat viewings it becomes a great watch. Great dialogue, funny twists and turns, and overall a blast of a British crime comedy. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is "Great!"
October 18, 2015
One of the best British film of the 90's! Very quotable dialogue, great humour and one of my favourite endings to a film.
October 8, 2015
Cool, intertwining storyline
September 2, 2015
I am truly surprised at the act of reviewing this movie, because while I was watching it I thought for the entire time that it was very similar to Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs. And what I read when I open the profil page of Guu Ritchie? That many critics said the same thing. Wow! It reminded me that particular Tarantino's movie for the style in filmaking and the tragicomic plot development. Anyway, I find that the end is poorer than a good movie like this would deserve, but this does not compromise the overall quality of the movie too much.
½ August 28, 2015
Once you get used to the language, it's really an awesome movie.
August 23, 2015
I feel like i should have liked it more than I did. Don't get me wrong, it was a solid movie with performances to boot, I just had a hard time tracking with it. Maybe another rewatch will boost my thoughts about it.
½ August 14, 2015
Wow I thought this was great! I loved it! Guy Ritchie shows his awesome skills in this. I loved this kind of British gangster film (mostly all guy films) I wasn't liking this in the beginning but loved it as it went on.
½ August 11, 2015
The plot is too confusing for it's own good and the characters are all a bit too similar, but you cant deny Ritchies energetic, music video like direction and witty banter between the characters makes for solid, brash entertainment.
July 30, 2015
Guy Ritchie really did hit the ground running. His full-length debut is a one-fingered peace sign to conventional filmmaking as well as a riot of ADHD camerawork, so chock-a-block full of deliriously paced sequences that you barely have time to place the popcorn in your mouth. His tale of a four-member crew whose efforts to cheat a local card shark quickly unravel into a bloody orgy of threats, thieving, and violence is merely an exercise in ramshackle camera-effects and the kind of bloody black comedy only England is capable of. Ritchie's sepia-drenched style, use of unusual background music and indecipherable slang give the whole film the feel of an altered state of perception, whether it be Eddy's shaky devastation at running up the debt or the various spells of drunkenness, dope trancing or adrenalin rush that smite all characters. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is a Molotov cocktail of a movie, and an excellent comedy meandering along despite the lack of anything resembling a real plot.
½ July 30, 2015
Ritchie uses almost every known British character actor/soap star for his gang romp revolving around the simple premise of some guys owing a gang boss a large amount of money. The cast is impressive you gotta admit, of course you gotta be British to probably get the most from it, but the collection of oddballs and gangsters are all so well performed by the cast, it just shoves the seedy, gritty, dirty Del boy London grim in your face perfectly.

There is certainly a Tarantino style going on throughout as the story tends to twist n turn amongst all the dreary looking locations, the whole film seems to have a brownish tint to it. Almost an enforced grimy hue to really bring the rough dilapidated streets of London to life. To be honest you don't even need to follow the story you just watch it for the continuous use of cockney slang and hints of vicious violence between various ruffians (a case of less is more with the violence), at the same time all this is accompanied by a glorious soundtrack.

A slick cool visage of thugs and wheeler dealers of varying levels of intelligence all mixed with a dark gallows humour that makes you unsure whether to giggle or shy away. The four main characters are a good balance of your classic 'EastEnders' types with a dollop of 'Only Fools n Horses' comedy on top in a world where the Kray brothers could still be walking the streets and where Vinnie Jones as Big Chris brings another level of atmosphere with his final act. Bosh! job done Guv'
July 17, 2015
Very original,very complex,very organized(in a way),and quirky.
This is the film that introduced many to the directing talent of Guy Richie and introduced everybody to Jason Statham.
Isaac
½ July 14, 2015
A fittingly stylish debut from Guy Ritchie with a strong ensemble cast and a twisty, sharp-witted script.
June 30, 2015
While it may be lacking in substance, it does have its own ragged sense of style. And even if you don't care about any of the characters you will at least want to see everything fall into place once the course of the movie becomes discernible.
½ June 16, 2015
Basically read my review about "Snatch"
½ June 15, 2015
Absolutely smashing tale
May 31, 2015
I thought that I would really dig the first movie by Guy Ritchie. I heard many good things. But overall, I don't know what to think of it. It's in a grey area between good and bad, and I don't think it was all so watchable. There are brilliant scenes in the movie, especially the beginning, and the very last scene of the film. A few of the action sequences are top-notch, and very exciting. But the characters are cookie cutter, and the plot is generic. The fact that people compare this to Tarantino is not right. He would do more with this material than what is done here. Not saying it's a bad movie, but I'm just not crazy about it. By the way, the movie can be really hard to understand at times due to the use of Cockney, or to make it quite simple, the British version of Jive. I may have missed half the plot trying to decipher what was said from each character. Hmmmm, I hope my critique isn't uncalled for then.
May 25, 2015
The movie gives us an introduction into each key character by our narrator Alan Ford; these stereotypical Cockney introductions are great and entertaining, giving us a teaser of each character.

The movie is based around the journey of four close friends (Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher, Nick Moran & Jason Statham) and their run in with an east end gangster Hatchet Harry (P.H. Moriarty) after a card game goes sour.

This movie is hilarious (I mean the script is amazing) the Cockney slang (there is a scene in subtitles for the less Cockney fluent) and the typical British banter throughout the movie makes these characters relatable (yes I can quote majority of the movie). I feel as though I need to mention one of my favourite characters of the movie Rory Breaker (Vas Blackwood) "The mad man with an afro" and his scenes with Nick the Greek (Stephen Marcus) are hysterical.

Back to the foursome who are desperate to find a solution for their seemingly impossible situation the lads are forced to deal with some unsavoury types (more gangsters and crooks) as they come with an idea that could save them from losing their fingers. This then acts as a platform for movie to merge each subplot together to form a delicious cocktail of guns, gore, gangsters and a lot of weed.

For anybody watching this that isn't familiar with England, yes it really is that gloomy and wet (not an editing mistake).This movie does have an epic soundtrack (at the start when Ocean Colour Scene comes in really sets the tone of the movie) the tracks are carefully placed throughout the movie (just wait for the Zorba the Greek scene, it's a brutal ballet).

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is one of my favourite movies of all time and has everything you'd want from a British gangster movie. With running time of 107 minutes this movie somehow manages to tie everything up nicely within this time, nothing is rushed or longed out. If you haven't realised by now but this movie is for 18's and over (as you'd expect from any decent gangster movie).

Brit Classic
½ April 25, 2015
The second half betrays its amateur director. It's a one joke movie that can't carry the whole thing, but when it's fresh it earns the comparison to a Tarantino film. The joke is the plot is incredibly absurd and abusive to the characters, and the characters have hilarious accents and slang words. It's like if A Clockwork Orange and Trainspotting got drunk and went to a strip club.
March 27, 2015