Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Reviews

May 25, 2015
The movie gives us an introduction into each key character by our narrator Alan Ford; these stereotypical Cockney introductions are great and entertaining, giving us a teaser of each character.

The movie is based around the journey of four close friends (Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher, Nick Moran & Jason Statham) and their run in with an east end gangster Hatchet Harry (P.H. Moriarty) after a card game goes sour.

This movie is hilarious (I mean the script is amazing) the Cockney slang (there is a scene in subtitles for the less Cockney fluent) and the typical British banter throughout the movie makes these characters relatable (yes I can quote majority of the movie). I feel as though I need to mention one of my favourite characters of the movie Rory Breaker (Vas Blackwood) "The mad man with an afro" and his scenes with Nick the Greek (Stephen Marcus) are hysterical.

Back to the foursome who are desperate to find a solution for their seemingly impossible situation the lads are forced to deal with some unsavoury types (more gangsters and crooks) as they come with an idea that could save them from losing their fingers. This then acts as a platform for movie to merge each subplot together to form a delicious cocktail of guns, gore, gangsters and a lot of weed.

For anybody watching this that isn't familiar with England, yes it really is that gloomy and wet (not an editing mistake).This movie does have an epic soundtrack (at the start when Ocean Colour Scene comes in really sets the tone of the movie) the tracks are carefully placed throughout the movie (just wait for the Zorba the Greek scene, it's a brutal ballet).

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is one of my favourite movies of all time and has everything you'd want from a British gangster movie. With running time of 107 minutes this movie somehow manages to tie everything up nicely within this time, nothing is rushed or longed out. If you haven't realised by now but this movie is for 18's and over (as you'd expect from any decent gangster movie).

Brit Classic
½ April 25, 2015
The second half betrays its amateur director. It's a one joke movie that can't carry the whole thing, but when it's fresh it earns the comparison to a Tarantino film. The joke is the plot is incredibly absurd and abusive to the characters, and the characters have hilarious accents and slang words. It's like if A Clockwork Orange and Trainspotting got drunk and went to a strip club.
March 27, 2015
Guy Ritchie is one of my top 5 favourite film makers
March 17, 2015
Love it! Must watch!
March 16, 2015
a gritty look at the life's of London gangstas
½ March 8, 2015
This could've been better if the director didn't try so damn hard, but then again, Brits always try way too hard when coming to cinematography. Of course, the music sorta sucked, too. This film and story would've been way more awesome if it was made in 1974 America with Charles Bronson, Warren Oates, and Lee Van Cleef.
½ March 3, 2015
Hello Guy Ritchie and thank you for coming....please.please stay around.Slick,twisted and clever.
February 22, 2015
8/10 This was just great! Although not as good as Snatch but very entertaining and the way it was directed and brought everything together...brilliant as expected by Guy Ritchie!
½ February 10, 2015
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels is an intelligently written story, rife with the perfect blend of comedy and action, caused by manic coincidences. It is a classic in the genre of crime, and proves that English humour is very versatile yet prominent on scene. There is little to flaw with this perfectly choreographed film, where Guy Ritchie shows off his talent and all the actors involved. It is a joy-ride from start to finish.
February 1, 2015
another lost review & rating
½ January 3, 2015
A special weapon unto itself. Spring-loaded with cockney esprit, it peppers its audience with aggressive, sarcastic grapeshot. That's English for "fun," by the way.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Funny characters in this one and along side with snatch these are 2 great movies. :)
½ December 31, 2014
Definitely have to be in the mood for this one. But still a good movie.
December 25, 2014
Guy Ritchie's directorial and writer debut is a hilarious British movie that gets crazy and more crazy. The beginning wasn't interesting, but the movie made me forgive it when it gets to the middle and end. There's a lot of funny moments in it that's insane. The action is great, and the acting is really good. The characters are memorable, and the plot is really crazy, but doesn't make it out of connivence. I never seen this type of style before in a British movie, and makes Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels look like something Quentin Tarantino would do, which is not a bad thing.
December 23, 2014
The film that started it all. Guy Ritchie's debut is a slick and twisted thriller that exemplifies the director's style. However, he does get a little carried away with the fancy camerawork and visual effects. Thankfully the story is well-written and pretty easy to follow, both necessary to keep the viewer interested and engaged. While the ending can be considered to be a twist, it still wasn't smart enough to elevate the film to something of a Tarantino or a Fincher. Still, it is nice to see Britain's dark side given the same treatment as many an American crime world.
½ December 14, 2014
A cleverly constructed film that brags an array of solid performances and brilliant direction from Guy Ritchie.
December 7, 2014
A good British film. Still a British film, though.
½ November 25, 2014
11-25-2014.

Original rating: 4/5, 2-20-2008.
November 24, 2014
Brilliant script that was well executed.
November 16, 2014
It's a fantastic gangster satire that is funny and very well written.