Five Favorite Films with Maggie Grace

The star of this week's space prison actioner Lockout on her all-time favorite five.

After her stint on the island of J.J. Abram's Lost, Maggie Grace has taken to the big screen with roles in a series of high-profile movies -- including Faster, Twilight: Breaking Dawn and, most famously, Taken, in which she played Liam Neeson's kidnapped daughter. It seems movie villains never learn, however. In this week's Lockout (also from Taken producer Luc Besson), Grace plays the President's daughter, dispatched as an emissary to a floating space prison where -- you guessed it -- she's taken hostage, prompting Guy Pearce's mercenary mission to rescue her. We're assuming Neeson was probably too busy fighting space wolves or clones of himself (take note, Besson...), but he and Grace will be reunited for more daddy-daughter carnage in the inevitable Taken 2, due later this year. In the meantime, we spoke with Grace this week for a conversation about her five favorite films.

The English Patient (Anthony Minghella, 1996; 83% Tomatometer)

I think when you ask for favorite films, you're really asking "favorite films at 15" -- you know what I'm saying? Formative favorite films. I don't think they really change much. You sort of can't argue with your inner 13-year-old that watched something 25,000 times. Now I'll see something adult and be affected by it -- like A Separation, which I saw and I loved -- but it's gonna be hard to top those 25,000 viewings when you were 13. You get past pubescence and it's cooked. Put a fork in it, your favorite films is done. [Laughs] Don't hold me to it. The English Patient: Oh my gosh, it was just so affecting when I saw it. The performances are impeccable. The sense of time and place; everything about it. It's really one of those kinds of epics -- like Lawrence of Arabia is an epic. You rarely see epics any more.

Romeo and Juliet (Franco Zeffirelli, 1968; 97% Tomatometer)

The 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet, the Zeffirelli version. I really fell head over heels in love with that movie when I was 13. I watched it countless times. Just hearing the score makes me feel like I'm 13 again.

It might be the best Romeo and Juliet on film.

I think it certainly is. You know, they cast pretty close to their ages; I think Olivia Hussey was about 16, and it really captures that emotional stuff.

Shouldn't you have been watching the Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes version when you were 13?

Well, they gave great performances. But I couldn't forgive them for cutting the Queen Mab speech. [Laughs]

Breaking the Waves (Lars von Trier, 1996; 86% Tomatometer)

Breaking the Waves, I saw that when I was -- and this was ill-advised [laughs] -- I was in Bucharest, alone with the flu. I don't know what possessed me to put that in to watch, but I think you could imagine it was pretty devastating. It's so raw and amazing, and Emily Watson is one of my favorite actresses.

When Harry Met Sally (Rob Reiner, 1989; 91% Tomatometer)

Well I think we just have to have a shout out to the rom-com genre in there and it's a perfect example of the two, you know, really lovable, flawed characters -- perfectly flawed for one another. As my grandmother used to say, "There's a lid for every pot." So I think that out of that genre that's probably my favorite.

When did you first see that one?

Probably as a teenager. But, you know, I rewatch it with girlfriends. [Laughs] I'm pretty sure I know it line for line at this point.

Sophie's Choice (Alan J. Pakula, 1982; 81% Tomatometer)

I just feel like there's so much estrogen in this list. [Laughs]

Well you're in so many action films; that kinda balances your list out.

I really need to do a five favorite action films. I think Die Hard would be up there. No... I'm afraid it's gonna have to be Sophie's Choice. [Laughs] Sorry! One of the greatest performances of the 20th century, I think. She's incredible. I mean, I kinda liked many of her films but that one springs to mind first. I figured I can't list all five as Meryl Streep films, right? That'd be a little annoying. It's hard to pick one, but if I had to I'm gonna go with that one.

She did win an Oscar for it.

Yeah. You know, she really should have won many more times than she has. It's easy to get confused as to which performance of hers was Oscar-nominated and which was Oscar-winning. I think at this point it doesn't matter. It's just cumulative. They should just give her a bigger Oscar.

They should remodel the Oscar in her likeness and give that out to other winners.

[Laughs] That's a fantastic idea.

Lockout is in theaters this week.

Comments

Dave J

Dave J

At least 4 out of 5 of her picks are kind of depressing to watch!

Apr 10 - 12:36 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Love lost, seems to be something that strikes a chord with her....

Apr 10 - 03:34 PM

Dave J

Not that there's anything wrong with her picks, but I was just thinking that whomever she goes out with may not like the same movies as her or that he'd like them for different reasons for that matter, unless if he were pretend to like them just to please her!

Apr 10 - 05:00 PM

Ruben Johnson

Ruben Johnson

I love lost too

Apr 15 - 08:24 PM

topher h.

topher hicks

thank god im not 15 anymore.

Apr 10 - 12:53 PM

Nathan S.

Nathan Sellers

Not a fan of 'The English Patient', but it's a fun list and you can tell she really enjoys each film.

Apr 10 - 12:55 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Although I totally disagree with her "15" theory, it's hard to argue with any of these films. I guess I was about 15 when I first fell in love with Olivia Hussey's breasts.

"There's a lid for every pot." ;) I believe there was an entirely different meaning for this phrase back in the 60s. It's more about what you could afford or smuggle in your rumble seat. Firesign 101.

Apr 10 - 01:30 PM

Cold P.

Cold Pillow

Nobody cares.

Apr 10 - 01:46 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I care very deeply about both Olivia Hussey's breasts and the Firesign Theatre. So there.

Apr 10 - 01:49 PM

Helge B.

Helge Beck

Hussey was 15 as well when she shot the movie, so you're probably one of the very few who fell in love with her breasts legally. When I was 15 I could already "fall in love" with things I picked up on late night TV, so I kinda envy you...

Anyway, the "15" theory applies to about a third of my current top ten films at best, and luckily so. My "favorite films" have always been growing and changing along with my personality and I wouldn't want it any other way. I still hold every favorite from my teens in high regard, but some of them just had to make way for stuff more... sophisticated.

Apr 10 - 05:02 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I don't know the percentage, but there are films I saw circa 15 that will always be favorites, some of them (Taxi Driver, Clockwork Orange, Harold and Maude) because they greatly expanded what I thought was possible to accomplish with the form. It's harder to have those kinds of revelations as you get more experienced, but even last year, with "Tree of Life", I'm still capable of being stunned.

Apr 10 - 05:37 PM

Dave J

I think the difference here is that because she's only an actress who is not inspired to be a film maker whatsoever, or have any desire to direct any film that it's easy to appreciate the ones that you grew up with as opposed to directors or inspiring film makers who're always seeking to find movies that're better than the ones they saw as a kid and are the most discussed!

And it's interesting that you picked "Taxi Driver" and "A Clockwork Orange" (not that there's anything wrong with those picks) since they were once labelled as controversial films because "Taxi Driver" almost got former President Reagan killed by a lunatic who was obsessed with Jodie Foster and Taxi Driver by the name of John Hinckley, Jr and "A Clockwork Orange" was deemed to be anti-female!

Apr 10 - 05:54 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I like "Catcher in the Rye" too. Go figure.

Apr 10 - 08:38 PM

Helge B.

Helge Beck

Yeah there definitely are, and they might be more then I previously considered. Apocalypse Now, The Thin Red Line and Sonatine come to mind instantly, as well as Hard Boiled and Don't Look Now, all films where I was left with a stunning momentum of "Wow, what was THAT?".
And then there were the films which were rather self-explanatory, but just so immersive (Das Boot) or creative (Back To The Future) or aggressive (Night Of The Living Dead) or just flat-out cool (Die Hard) that I'll always come back & indulge in their brilliance.
Being stunned has definitely become much harder over the years though, but when it happens it's an all the more precious thing for me. The Tree Of Life didn't manage to achieve that, maybe because I was expecting too much, but I'm having high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises ;)

Apr 11 - 03:16 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

Ha yeah I had to watch that Romeo and Juliet in high school when we were all like 15 and that was all we talked about. And I do have to argue against her absolute love of Streep. I get she's considered THE actress of the last 30 years but I think she is painfully overrated. Everythign she does is claimed to be brilliant but I think that has a lot to do with name recognition now. She hasn't ever really wowed me. It almost seems like she doesn't try anymore coz she is so popular maybe she thinks she doesn't need to? I don't know I just don't get whats so great about her.

Apr 10 - 07:55 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I think most people read Romeo and Juliet in freshman english class. My teacher wasn't cool enough to show the uncut version of the film, he was just stupid enough to tell us to 'look away' when the scene came on. Okee Dokee!

Totally disagree on Streep. Try something from her first decade. "Deer Hunter", "Silkwood", "French Lieutenent's Woman", "Heartburn", "Postcards From the Edge", and "Sophie's Choice" is one of her best. She's certainly not as consistent as she used to be, but I thought "Doubt" from a few years ago was a tremendous performance.

Apr 10 - 08:45 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Don't forget KRAMER VS. KRAMER, first Oscar for Streep. She still breaks my heart at the end.

Apr 11 - 09:57 PM

justjoustin

Joshua G

I think we read and watched both the Zef & Luhrmann R&J's. One guy wasn't allowed to watched the latter because his mum said it "encouraged homosexuality".

I laughed at her 15 theory, I can see her point. She is a comic actress. Nobody runs as mental as Maggie Grace in Taken. Like a duck at a rave.

Apr 10 - 09:45 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I thought Duck Raves were responsible for encouraging homosexuality? Isn't that why Daffy and Donald were so....frustrated?

Apr 11 - 11:31 AM

Dave J

When Streep is in films, she doesn't really follow your conventional 'escapism' film in the same manner as most young single testosterone male adults get out of action and fantasy that uses a barrage of special effects and explosions and you can't really get nominations for doing those type of films either- the closest CGI film she did do was Death Becomes Her and it was a comedy! It's just her drama films that gave her the most recognition as of late and biographies! I like Streep too because of her screen presence, it's more like other people that're around her that don't stand out as much. Some of the ones I watch in repeated viewings are "Kramer Vs Kramer", "The Bridges of Madison County" and "Silkwood" which her performance aligns itself with the story!

Apr 11 - 01:17 PM

Dave J

Oh yeah, and I liked her in "The Devil Wears Prada" is not a bad film either!

Apr 11 - 01:52 PM

Cold P.

Cold Pillow

Nobody cares.

Apr 10 - 01:46 PM

Apr 10 - 01:49 PM

Apr 10 - 01:49 PM

Matthew Ekstrom

Matthew Ekstrom

It's too bad nobody makes any good epics anymore.

Apr 10 - 02:24 PM

Jenny Kelm

Jenny Kelm

Lord of the Rings????

Apr 18 - 02:50 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Love lost, seems to be something that strikes a chord with her....

Apr 10 - 03:34 PM

Apr 10 - 05:00 PM

Ruben Johnson

Ruben Johnson

I love lost too

Apr 15 - 08:24 PM

HERESSSSSSJOHNNY

HERESSSSSS JOHNNY

When Harry Met Sally is one of the few romantic comedies I can enjoy.

Apr 10 - 04:01 PM

dick d.

dick draper

Liking "When Harry Met Sally" is laughable if you've ever seen a Woody Allen movie.

Apr 10 - 04:37 PM

HERESSSSSSJOHNNY

HERESSSSSS JOHNNY

I love Woody Allen's films and I still like When Harry Met Sally.

Apr 10 - 04:44 PM

Thomas Daly

Thomas Daly

Apples and Oranges my critical friend, but you picked the wrong film to target that "sunny" disposition. Of the AFI's top 100 comedies, "When Harry Met Sally" ranks #23, only one Woody Allen movie ranked higher, Annie Hall of course, which was a brilliant film, and "When Harry Met Sally" is the only film that's cracked the top 25 since it's release in 1989. Get that? Not one comedy in 23 years has matched it. Nothing wrong with you being a Woody Allen fan (except that whole marrying his adoped daughter thing gives me the willie's) His own biological son rebukes him today. But allow people to like what they do without slamming them.

Apr 11 - 05:52 AM

dick d.

dick draper

>Letting a list dictate what you think is good
Lmfao
>implying that movie isn't ersatz Woody Allen

Apr 14 - 06:35 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I let a draped dick dictate what's good!

Apr 14 - 07:14 PM

Andrew Galley

Andrew Galley

That is one of the most pretentious and all around self-satisfying things I've read. When Harry Met Sally is one of the most enjoyable Rom-Coms in not just the critics eyes, but in audiences too. Just cause Woody Allen makes his own distinct Rom-Coms, doesn't mean it's the be-all end all. His films are of High Quality yes, maybe even the best of the genre, but that doesn't make When Harry Met Sally a bad film.

Apr 11 - 05:35 PM

Vincent Ottone

Vincent Ottone

No, the fact that When Harry Met Sally is a bad film makes it a bad film.

Apr 12 - 11:59 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

The fact that you can't distinguish fact from opinion tells us everything we need to know about you.

Apr 12 - 06:58 PM

Scott Otto

Scott Otto

unless your inner 13 year old likes crappy movies, then you may have to re-evaluate.

Apr 10 - 04:44 PM

HERESSSSSSJOHNNY

HERESSSSSS JOHNNY

I love Woody Allen's films and I still like When Harry Met Sally.

Apr 10 - 04:44 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies