Lockout - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lockout Reviews

June 29, 2016
One line summary: Reasonable thriller rescue in space, circa 2079.

--------------------------------

The action is set in a SciFi universe of the year 2079. There is a prisoner uprising in the orbiting maximum security prison in orbit around Earth. Compounding this is that the daughter of the US president was in the prison doing interviews at the time.

As the film opens, Snow is in custody, and is being beaten/interrogated by Scott and his thug. The subject was a botched operation where Snow's contact Frank was killed, Snow escapes for a bit, and gets a briefcase to his contact Mace before being captured. After he's done, Scott leaves Snow with Harry.

In a parallel thread, the president's daughter travels to the orbital prison that is still under construction. The prison is run by a corporation and uses stasis/sleep to keep the prisoners quiescent. Emilie is trying to find out whether the prisoners are suffering damage from stasis are experiencing psychological or physical damage from the process. Snow gets pointed to the prison as an inmate.

Emilie's first interview goes woefully bad: the prisoner escapes, has a gun and a plan for opening all the stasis cells and wakening the prisoners. Emilie is wounded, but escapes temporarily. The prison rebellion is successful. They activate the prison orbiter's defense systems, so a massive armed rescue seems out of the question...at least without massive losses.

The Secret Service has a change of heart toward Snow, and injects him onto the station almost unnoticed. Emilie is captured, but is unrecognized at first. During the negotiations between the prisoners and the Secret Service, the prisoners find her credentials.

Snow manages to spring her, and to find Mace. Mace has some severe mental damage, but Emilie manages to decipher his seemingly wild speech. Emilie refuses the rescue plan as long as there are hostages on the station.

They escape the station via an improvised solution before a massive strike hits the station. Snow is re-incarcerated, but Emilie finds the case.

Will Emilie be able to get Snow out of trouble?

------Scores-------

Cinematography: 8/10 Mostly fine, but some of the CGI seemed a bit out of date for 2012, but not too bad.

Sound: 8/10 Few problems.

Acting: 6/10 Peter Stormare, Guy Pearce, and Lennie James were good. Vincent Regan and Joseph Gilgun were OK. Maggie Grace and most of the rest of the cast I could have done without.

Screenplay: 5/10 Meh. The exposition of motivations was weak. Why would Emilie be interested in Snow? Yes, he had something to do with her rescue, which she tried to sabotage whenever possible. Just what was in the briefcase, for which so much effort was expended? Why would anybody care? As it was, the only thing interesting about the film was rescuing a privileged daughter who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
June 29, 2016
Your average action movie. Hot male hero? Check. Sassy damsel in distress? Check. Did I mention hot Guy Pearce is in it? Makes up for the horrible visual effects.
June 29, 2016
Generic and unoriginal but not without a few good scenes.
Guy Pearce has a lot of cheesy one liners, a few of which come off alright but some not so well.
The female lead did an acceptable job, i think she might be Robin from HIMYM but im not sure lol.
Okay movie if you are just bored and want some senseless action.
June 29, 2016
What was Guy Pearce thinking? This is lame rubbish.
June 29, 2016
I was hooked by this movie with just the first few lines of dialogue! Yes this movie is clichťd and you've seen it all before. Despite this it is great fun and I hope Luc Besson and Guy Pearce will make a sequel/prequel as I really enjoyed Pearce's portrayal of the wise-cracking, world-weary and cynical anti-hero. Well worth 90 minutes of anyone's time.
½ June 29, 2016
Guy Pearce is outstanding in an otherwise terrible movie.
June 29, 2016
Lockout is a 2012 science fiction ‚" action film that was released in February 2012. The thrilling action film is a about a man who is wrongly convicted of conspiracy against the US. He is offered his freedom provided he can rescue the President‚(TM)s daughter from an outer space prison which has been taken over by its violent inmates.
The movie features Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace and Peter Storman.
While many people didn‚(TM)t find this film intriguing - I loved it. It reminded me of movies that hosted the likes of a Jean Claude van Damme with added humour. The action scenes seemed to roll over and gel which made the story intriguing yet fun.
I‚(TM)m not one for Sci-Fi but if there are more of these I might just become a fan.
Verdict: Nice Friday night action movie that leaves you in a good spirit for the rest of the weekend.
June 29, 2016
Well I watched Lockout and I was pleasantly surprised. I went into this film half wanting to see it and half not want to see it, but once it came up on Netflix Instant I gave it a shot since I wouldn't be out more than a little time and bandwidth. The film is a little cheesy while still being somewhat believable, albeit totally over the top.

The story was decent and was able to hold my attention, though if I gave it a second viewing it would most likely be fairly boring. It had some decent surprises throughout yet never anything too surprising. The acting was actually very good, Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, and Peter Stormare were perfectly cast for their roles, though I wished Peter Stormare had a bigger role he can add so much more to a film with his amazing talent. Also the CGI was great.

The things I didn't like about this film were some of the little things that most people probably wouldn't pick up on, things like the fact that in 2076 they are still using smart phones that look exactly like the smart phones we have today. Also they built a massive prison in orbit around the earth that can hold thousands of maximum security inmates and looks to be as tall as a sky scraper and yet the International Space Station is still in orbit and is the same size that it is today. Side note the ISS is scheduled to be shut down de-orbited around 2020, so it wouldn't even be there in 2076.

Now this part doesn't really bother me, I'd just like to point it out, there are some obvious references to Escape from New York & Escape from L.A., not that it's a bad thing, I just wanted to point it out. Let's see if this sounds familiar, former good guy gone bad get's caught and is offered a deal to save the President's daughter in a maximum security prison that the prisoners can't escape. He takes the mission, get's wounded, proves to the President's daughter that under his tough guy he had a heart, then rescues her a second time after she gets herself caught, then get's the both of them to safety and get's a full pardon. Then we find out that he's got what they wanted all along and instead of turning it over he walks away with it. Basically the film is a mash up of Escape form NY & L.A. in space. Even with the running jokes and bad one liners. Yet I won't say it's a bad film, it's worth a one time watch. So I say give it a shot, if you've got some time to kill sit back and watch, if your a Snake Plissken fan then you might just enjoy this film.
½ June 29, 2016
When hubby picked it from the shelf at the video store, I rolled my eyes. Not another crappy sci-fi wannabe. Ok, it's not as slick as Ridleys and maybe a little too wordy for some sci fi fans. Maybe it's a girl thing, I like the witty smart mouth dialogue delivered by Guy Pearce (he's come a long way from his Neighbours days) and surprisingly good acting by Maggie Grace. Unexpected and undervalued.
½ June 29, 2016
Glad I didn't see it in theaters. Plot stolen from escape from new York terrible special effects that belong in a b-movie and generally nothing remarkable about it. Guy Pearce is the only highlight of this movie and is the only reason it gets a star and a half. his wit and one liners are the only entertainment to be had from this movie.
June 29, 2016
A so-so action thriller. Good cast, reasonable dialogue with moments of acerbic wit, but a dull story with not one, but two anti-climaxes - that's main plot and sub plot. There's a very strange CGI chase scene at the beginning, that's so low budget, at least in its appearance, that it actually works quite well on some animated graphic novel level. I'll be watching that one more time before I never see this film again. Guy Pearce is very good as the action lead and would have been perfect for Max Payne based on this performance. Maggie Grace is the empowered female that has now overtaken the cliche of the damsel in distress. Nothing new from her, but it's not expected with the material she has to work with. Joe Gilgun and Peter Stormare do a very good job of being unlikable. I actually only watched this based on Gilgun's recent showstealing form in 'Misfits', and unfortunately, he wasn't given room to breathe and gets bogged under the central anticlimax. I'd watch a sequel to see what else could be done with Guy Pearce's character. Linking him and Gilgun as the unlikely duo would be a masterstroke in extreme u-turn storylining.
June 29, 2016
it was well written and overall pretty good
½ June 29, 2016
(44%) "Die hard in space", if only. This is an overly busy space B-movie that came an went with little impact owing mainly to the fact that the opening scenes are more or less forgotten about before the closing act even begins. With that said this isn't a bad little movie, Guy Pearce is a fine asset, even if his character is as deep as a puddle after some light rain. And it's entertaining in a non-demanding sort of way. Script wise it's standard stuff, but there's nothing at all that is new or remarkable. If you can watch it for free, and your a fan of sci-fi, then this isn't too bad, but it's really not a must watch.
½ June 29, 2016
it not a bad film,but if you're going to watch this movie with high expectation of an explosive action film,you're gonna be disappointed....
½ June 29, 2016
Super. Best performance next to memento for gp!
½ June 29, 2016
It was pretty good. Love the sarcastic humor!
½ June 29, 2016
Some of the cliches held this movie back a bit, but good action and a good job well done by the cast made Lockout rather entertaining.
June 29, 2016
An unintentional parody of cliche' driven tiredness. Good actors, yet some terrible acting, a corny adolescent script so unrealisitic it seemed crayoled by a 15 year old in 1982. With so much behind it (actors, production) how did this actually get green-lit?
½ June 29, 2016
For me, Lockout is one of those odd guilty pleasures. It was probably far from the best film released during it's week of release, never mind the month or year. It's a straightforward, short, fast paced, guns blazing, one man action vehicle that doesn't make any attempts to be cleverer than it needs to be. Guy Pearce stands in for the likes of Russell, Seagal, Willis, Arnie or Sly as the likeable rogue protagonist.

It's unusual to see Pearce play a genuine all action-hero but he seems to be enjoying himself delivering some of the most sarcastic one-liners in film history, courtesy of co-writer Luc Besson and directors Saint & Mather. In fact, Snow literally barely says anything at all other than acerbic barbs directed at either villains or his damsel in distress. The relationship between Snow and Emilie, and the situation they find themselves in, reminded me of that of Steven Seagal and Erika Eleniak in Under Siege.

With a budget of $20M, Lockout is relatively low budget and almost B-movie like but if you can get past the occasionally ropey CGI, place tongue firmly in cheek and accept it for the guilty pleasure it is it's capable of satisfying that action movie itch you get from time to time. Just imagine the most average parts of Die Hard, Under Siege and Escape from New York all rolled into one!
June 29, 2016
I saw the previews and it looks badass!