The Locusts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Locusts Reviews

July 16, 2016
This movie feels personal. As it's the only film written and directed by John Patrick Kelley, it probably is.

The slow development of the plot and simultaneously tragic/glamorous feel of the story isn't for everyone, but fans of films like Suddenly Last Summer and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf will find a lot to love with this film.
½ January 2, 2016
This is a low key Southern Gothic flick that I only vaguely recalled liking from the VHS days, so I was pleased to revisit it on a cheaply purchased DVD recently, and I can say that the film holds up well.

An interesting character study/battle of wills between Vince Vaughn and Kate Capshaw, with him fighting against her iron will for her son in a small town where she's used to ruling with an iron fist, this film is well worth tracking down.

Give it a look.
½ July 30, 2014
Cette histoire d'un vagabond des 50's qui fuit son passé et qui se retrouve dans une communauté qui cache de lourds secrets familiaux n'a rien d'original. Pendant une heure, cependant, Vince Vaughn, Paul Rudd et Ashley Judd suffisent à rendre le film plus que regardables. Mais au bout des deux longues heures, force est de constater que ni la réalisation, ni les multiples twists éculés, ni les autres acteurs ne parviennent à éléver The Locusts au rang de film recommandables. A la place, ça se regarde sans déplaisir mais sans réel intérêt non plus. La bande-son est remarquable.
January 9, 2013
i havent saw this movie yet but am all about a thriller
October 18, 2012
This is a deep movie!!! Loved it when Vince choked the ho though XD
February 1, 2012
This was agood movie. A lot of big name people from today. A little slow starting out but the ending was good.
½ January 24, 2012
Okay, can't really say this movie was "good," but man did it ever keep my interest!! Ridiculously warped family if ever there was one...makes all the rest of us think oh hey, maybe our dysfunctional little families are pretty normal.
February 10, 2010
It's hot, it's sultry and everybody's smokin' in the rural Kansas of The Locusts. Too bad the movie never catches fire.
July 26, 2009
Vince Vaughn's BEST work yet! Such a sad sick story..but very entertaining
June 14, 2009
I don't think I would want to see it again (especially because of the cattle stuff), but it was a pretty decent modern tragedy.
Very well acted.
I also enjoyed having a drifter that wasn't a bad guy, but quite the opposite.
April 11, 2009
This was an impressive film - all four leads were impressive in this searing and disturbing tale about the family secrets that end up revealed when a quiet drifter starts working as a farmhand for Ms Potts and befriends her emotionally disturbed son Flyboy. It was especially startling to see Vince Vaughn in this dramatic role after getting used to his comedies of the past few years. It may be difficult to watch for people more used to mainstream dramas, but it's worth it to get to the compelling and startling finish.
October 4, 2008
Impressive performance by Vince Vaughn in a straight dramatic role. Sultry tale of a twisted family dynamic and small town relationships. Ashley Judd at her radiantly beautiful best and Kate Capshaw as a fatally flawed harridan. This movie kept my interest from start to finish. Loved the relationship between Clay (Vaughn) and Flyboy (Davies). Think Oedipus Rex in the heartland.
½ August 8, 2008
A twisted story with a slow place.
½ June 20, 2008
This is an alright movie, kind of slow and boring at parts.
June 13, 2008
A pretty good movie.
½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
½ February 8, 2008
Just couldn't get interested in this film. I tried. I love that Vince Vaughn but it really did nothing for me. 2.5
½ February 2, 2008
Just plain bad. Akin to Palmetto insofar as its noir foundations attached to contemporary taboos, an extremely poor title, and a sub par finale.
November 30, 2007
A little sick. Okay, a lot sick. Some great performances, though.
July 4, 2007
Love it because my baby sister got it. She understood it! Brilliant!